Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

So lets say you had to equip a WW2 army...

Is it true you once threatened to kill someone who put a part made after 1960 in/on one of your guns?

Only because the person who made the part was a flipper-handed meatslapping slackwit.

Now, the post 1960 parts I make are just fine...

I talked with Ian about this. Keep in mind, his dad literally wrote the book on Japanese rifles of WWII. He thought Japan had some of the best small arms of the war, citing the Arisaka and Type 99, especially.

I dunno, the Arisaka had a good action, but the Japanese never successfully developed the universal rifle concept, leaving their infantry arms needlessly bulky and long. Further, he argued that the submachine guns weren't really relevant to overall Japanese small arms production - but to me that sounds like "only a little bit of bad". Their subguns seem most charitably described as "primitive", and they had few of them. Surely that's a mark against them?

And then we could get into how they had two rifle rounds in service, which isn't an aspect of the firearms themselves but directly impacts how effective their small arms are.

Anyway, I'm not expert on it, but his brief assessment that their small arms were good sounded to me like it wasn't the whole story, really.

They (Japanese rifles) are sound, and definitely stout, but a bit primitive in many ways.

Something not at all unusual when dealing with WW2 firearms.

I think the type 99 rifle and and type 99 machine gun are the only ones that arent ethier god awful or mediorce, and even those fall apart under comparison to European (mainly Russian)/American arms

I think the type 99 rifle and and type 99 machine gun are the only ones that arent ethier god awful or mediorce, and even those fall apart under comparison to European (mainly Russian)/American arms

The 99 LMG stemmed from the 96, both are thoroughly serviceable.

The Japanese also used their own takes of the Lewis, Vickers and Browning MG, so it's not like they could not make good weapons, rather that for the most part their indigenous designs were a bit dated.

Regarding the 99/96 the biggest mechanical issue I ever dealt with was, many of the ones floating around now often have the gas regulator plugs swapped.  They are at a glance, identical parts.

A type 96 will not work reliably with a Type 99 regulator plug, and a 99 with a 96 regulator plug will sound like an aircraft Browning. 

Otherwise I never found anything that would make them more or less prone to damage/wear than any other LMG of the era,and they were surely better than some of the junk the German handed out.  (Google "Knorr-Bremse" or "MG35/36A" for more fun)

The 99 LMG stemmed from the 96, both are thoroughly serviceable.

The Japanese also used their own takes of the Lewis, Vickers and Browning MG, so it's not like they could not make good weapons, rather that for the most part their indigenous designs were a bit dated.

Regarding the 99/96 the biggest mechanical issue I ever dealt with was, many of the ones floating around now often have the gas regulator plugs swapped.  They are at a glance, identical parts.

A type 96 will not work reliably with a Type 99 regulator plug, and a 99 with a 96 regulator plug will sound like an aircraft Browning. 

Otherwise I never found anything that would make them more or less prone to damage/wear than any other LMG of the era,and they were surely better than some of the junk the German handed out.  (Google "Knorr-Bremse" or "MG35/36A" for more fun)

ya thats what i meant, the type 99 is just a 96 with a flash suppressor and some other things moved around just to fuck with collectors 

Rifle: Winchester Model 1895

Carbine: Winchester Model 1894 30-30

Submachine gun: "Mare's Leg" 1894 in .357

Light Machine gun: "The Rifleman's" 1873 Winchester.

Heavy Machine gun: Marlin 1895 45-70

Anti-tank weapon: Turnbull .475 1886 Winchester

Pistol: Smith & Wesson Model 17 .357

can opener: See Donward's World of Tanks profile on the Top Can Openers of World War 2

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/327079-the-top-can-openers-of-world-war-2/page__st__40

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if we've descended into shit posting in this thread yet but I want to post my choices anyhow haha. 

Rifle: StG-44

Carbine: M1 Carbine

Submachine gun: Pratchett SMG or Hyde M2 

Light Machine gun: Bren

Heavy Machine gun: MG42

Anti-tank weapon: PIAT... jk Panzerfaust 

Pistol: Browning: High Power

can opener: Swiss Army knife 

I don't know if we've descended into shit posting in this thread yet but I want to post my choices anyhow haha. 

I don't really "shitpost" per say, I'm just very, very sarcastic and smug at times.

shitposting would like, outright trolling or trashing the forum, we're just having fun.

The M1 Carbine's kind of a pile of crap, though... Especially if your standard rifle is the StG-44 and you have the Patchett backing that up.

I just noticed that the M50 Reising's wiki article is basically ad copy (I'll spare you lot my hipster US idea).

Huh. Weird how people try to sell their pet stuff on wiki.

The Reising is a beautiful snowflake too delicate for this harsh world

Of course I mean now disrespect when I say shirt posting haha. As for the M1 Carbine, it's not so bad for the PDW role it was intended for. If the rifle was the StG-44 I'd only give rear echelon guys the M1.

You would really be better offwith an SKS than a M1

really after shooting the M1 several times, i have failed to be impressed

I rather take a garand which feels like it aims itself as far as gpw firearms go, 

Ok, this time I'm going to try for an actually serious (but "slightly" different) proposal for once, note that it may go slightly post war or feature some prototypes. Also assuming cost is no issue.

Rifle - Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage with 15 round Krieger magazines and the Dillinger special vertical foregrip, because this is my army not yours!

Carbine - SKS

Submachine gun - Kalashnikov 1942

Light Machine gun - RPD

Heavy Machine gun - M2HB

Anti-tank weapon - Panzershreck

Pistol - Hi Power

can opener - Fairbairn-Sykes (also standard issue Knife)

Ok, this time I'm going to try for an actually serious (but "slightly" different) proposal for once, note that it may go slightly post war or feature some prototypes. Also assuming cost is no issue.

Rifle - Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage with 15 round Krieger magazines and the Dillinger special vertical foregrip, because this is my army not yours!

This has serious visual appeal. Not sure about the round choice, but I will await explanation for the reasoning before judgement.

This has serious visual appeal. Not sure about the round choice, but I will await explanation for the reasoning before judgement.

.300 Savage is the only one of the 5 chamberings ever offered for the Model 8/Model 81 that used a Spitzer point bullet as opposed to a round nosed.

It also has excellent ballistics for a round of it's size. (Very close to the 7.62x51mm despite being a tad smaller.)

Carbine - SKS

Submachine gun - Kalashnikov 1942

Light Machine gun - RPD

Heavy Machine gun - M2HB

Anti-tank weapon - Panzershreck

Pistol - Hi Power

can opener - Fairbairn-Sykes (also standard issue Knife)

>no DSHK

>no TT-33

>no Mosin bayonet can opener 

0/10 would not invade a smaller European country with