Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

So lets say you had to equip a WW2 army...

Well 14.5 was a pretty damn good caliber for us in Afghanistan

Whats wrong with the Panzerfuast? 

It could detonate just running too roughly with it due to the very insensitive filler or directly after launch for starters.

I guess the Sticky Bomb at least gives you the pleasure of giving you a chance to get it off.

Rilfe: SKS 

Carbine - Mosin

Submachine gun - PPSH-41/43

Light Machine gun - SG-43

Heavy Machine gun - DShK

Anti-tank weapon - ZiS-2

Pistol - TT-33

Back up pistol - Nagant revolver

can opener - Mosin bayonet

Those are some puzzling choices. Why Tokarev mod. 30 and not 33? Since when is the SG-43 a light machinegun? SKS and Mosin carbine at the same time?

meant 33

SG-43 isnt very heavy to wheel around EE

Yes, a perfect excuse to mass field SKS and glorious Mosin 

No, the Type 14 is definitely worse. It is actually less safe, and doesn't work as well.

Outside of the weak firing pin spring, and the fragile nature of the firing pin, I rather liked the one I had..

Weak recoil springs. Seen that before.  Wolff makes a set that solves all but the firing pin problem. That's fixed by making the original one piece (long or short) into a two piece with a replaceable nose.

The misfire/AD can be induced by jarring the sear bar with the bolt not fully home.

The instant it was suffering repeated FTF's the reason should have been investigated.

Trying to keep it shooting after it's displaying obvious mechanical issues by hamfisting it into operation is not the fault of the design.

Weak recoil springs. Seen that before.  Wolff makes a set that solves all but the firing pin problem. That's fixed by making the original one piece (long or short) into a two piece with a replaceable nose.

The misfire/AD can be induced by jarring the sear bar with the bolt not fully home.

The instant it was suffering repeated FTF's the reason should have been investigated.

Trying to keep it shooting after it's displaying obvious mechanical issues by hamfisting it into operation is not the fault of the design.

Alex isn't a gunsmith, so I actually think he'll be pretty happy to hear that. I'll pass it along.

Just talked to Alex. It already has new springs in it. :|

I bet it's missing one very important one. There is a kit that just has new recoil springs, and then two other kits that replace all the springs.

The sear bar tripping suggests he replaced just the recoil springs.

I'd be happy to look at it if he's in Arizona.

Looks like I'll be stuck here a couple more weeks minimum.

I bet it's missing one very important one. There is a kit that just has new recoil springs, and then two other kits that replace all the springs.

The sear bar tripping suggests he replaced just the recoil springs.

I'd be happy to look at it if he's in Arizona.

Looks like I'll be stuck here a couple more weeks minimum.

Just think of how many hits you'd get if you uploaded a video of you band sawing it in half!

i kinda have a personal hate for the type 14 and most Japanese weapons ive fired

The type 14 i fired, i think a 1928 production, had similar malfunctions and feeding errors, though not nearly as much. Still a shitty pistol. Easy to fire when it isnt jamming, it damn better be because of that squirrel hunting round you gonna wanna be aiming for particularity painful area's of the body.

The type 38 has pretty awful sights, and a weak cartigde aswell, not a complete pile of japcrap but it still dosent feel nearly as sturdy as a mosin, enfeild, or even mauser

The 99 has some impovments in that regard, the sights are better (as in not as suicdial as the type 38's are for nightfight/shooting) and the cartrigde is actually sutiable for killing a human being. The only Japanese rifle i wouldnt mind bringing into battle, i enjoyed shooting it more than the M1903 but would rather have a garand, mosin or enfeild any day

The type99 light machine gun is also a blast to shoot, other than the issue of perferale vision being butched (yes, i know, not that important, but i was trained on the RPK and are forever instilled with the peripheralboo curse) its an extremely easy machine gun to shoot, recoild feel's very well managed, rather have a bren just for the ability to fire it unmounted but its still a nice litle machine gun

The type-100 submachine is painfully average, i was extremely lucky to fire one of the both the original (Type 100/40) and third edition (Type 100/44). 

The Type 100/44 is your painfully average submachine gun, pretty much did anything any other submachine gun could do. It feel's very fragil despite having a decent rate of fire and manageable recoil. I had a couple of stoppages, nothing truly horrendous but i can imagen having dirt and sand thrown into this in the field could make it hell to use. I can appricate that it had an actual wooden stock becuase i have a feeling any other configuration would be massively fucked up by japcrap design. 

100_40.jpg

You would think this being the late war version was some watered-down version of the Type-100, made for mass production as the Japanese army crumbles almost as fast as its industry

MittRomneyNope.jpg

the truth is far more horrible 

type_100-40.jpg

The orginal had more complex sights. They just dont feel at home on a submachine gun, they kinda remind me of a butched garand clone, it cuts down on peripheral vision and dosent suite this sort of weapons firing pattern. There is a mounting for both a bayonet and a bipod. I guess the Japs really couldnt make up their mind whether it was best to be plicking away at whatever you managed to find with those awful sights from a distance, or just lunching into your enemy after you expericne feed error number 525824. I got about 12 feed errors per magazine at one event, at another it was significantly less. But this thing must of been the definite been hell to use in any environment with dirt or sand. The fire rate was noticeably lower. Alot of people consider the early war version easier to shoot for this, but i can say with great confidence this is nothing but a downside in an actual combat situation

The 100/44 (late war version) inst remarkable in any way other than it can put more rounds into an enemy at a great convinence than any other Japanese small arm. Its improved fire rate is more than managalbe with the puny nambu round, infact its probably the only thing that made the cartridge deadly was the abilty to get as many as possible into one target. Its sights also offer better perphipal visison, i have to praise the desingers for not stickign with the older sights, it would be a nightmare keeping them alined with a even higher fire rate. 

Both feel pretty fragile/unrealibe. The late war version is really superior in every way imaginable. It has a better rate of fire, better sights, its more realible (not saying alot but its something) and dosent have that unessary mount. If your taking time to actually set up the bipod on this thing, your better off just picking up an Arisaka. I could kinda see the bayonet being useful as counterweight for the recoil, but it sometimes tends to glime in the sun giving away your position. Maybe it was a particularly sunny day and maybe the owner just toke really good care of the blade, but i dont really find it all that necessary. 

The magazines in all cases seem to be truly, truly awful. I often bitch and whine about western 'plastic' mags but these really feel like they can fall apart at any moment

Overall though i cant really think of any reason to use one over your average world war 2 submachine gun. The Mp-40, ppsh, tompson and even your average European piece just seem to be bettter in alot of ways. The late war version is probably better then a Sten (i enjoyed firing it more, and i doubt the sten is more realible).

Worst is a harsh word if nothing else for the sheer amount of crap that many nations probably peddled out of desperation, and the late war version seems okay. I would chalk the early war version up for a grand stinker of ww2 compedition, it does nothing right and feels like a shitty Japcrap knockoff of a mp-28 thats had a rough week.

I hope you enjoyed my alcohol and read meat fueled ramblings of firearms which i had too much beer in my system when firing to truly be objective about

Ian McCollum just became very angry and he doesn't know why.

Alls he can hear in head however, is a distant echoing, simply, "REMOVE ANIMEA!" is all that pierces through to Ian's senses however.

The best way to think of most Japanese small arms found in use in WW2 is to take a Harry Turtledove concept, and flip it around..

Transporting arms meant for a war 40 years before WW2 , and sending them to late 1930's Japan.

That's part of why I collect them. You're basically handling and using a 1900's~1920's design (or earlier) for the most part, made with slightly better metallurgy.

I talked with Ian about this. Keep in mind, his dad literally wrote the book on Japanese rifles of WWII. He thought Japan had some of the best small arms of the war, citing the Arisaka and Type 99, especially.

I dunno, the Arisaka had a good action, but the Japanese never successfully developed the universal rifle concept, leaving their infantry arms needlessly bulky and long. Further, he argued that the submachine guns weren't really relevant to overall Japanese small arms production - but to me that sounds like "only a little bit of bad". Their subguns seem most charitably described as "primitive", and they had few of them. Surely that's a mark against them?

And then we could get into how they had two rifle rounds in service, which isn't an aspect of the firearms themselves but directly impacts how effective their small arms are.

Anyway, I'm not expert on it, but his brief assessment that their small arms were good sounded to me like it wasn't the whole story, really.