Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

New system build

That Swiftech H240 looks sweet, I think I'll go with that over the NZXT X61, I like how the Swiftech has a separate pump, instead of mounting it on the heat sink. 

So far Coretemp says I've hit 63c max on one core, and the others haven't gone above 57, and they all seem to run normally at 46-52c.  Does the Processor have some kind of heat protection built in, that shuts it down before cooking it?

The PSU seemed like the most bang for the buck coupled with good reviews, I liked it enough I bought too, and put one in the older system too. 

What’s with Noctua’s weird color, does anyone like it?

All modern chips have heat activated kill-switches - for a modern PC it's advanced enough to reduce the frequency and power consumption first in the hope it'll cool down if it gets too hot. Intel designed that cooler to manage that chip just fine in a sealed case, and since turbo boost is pushing it to 4.3GHz then the chip must be completely happy with the temperature.

Processors these days automatically throttle to lower speeds when they get too hot. With a good liquid block you'll be fine. This is a pretty good benchmark although they don't include the delta relative to the room temp unfortunately. That's on the 4770k, a much hotter chip than your 4790k. I wouldn't be surprised to see being able to run a 4.5 GHz full core OC at under 60 or even 55 C. Less than that depends on room and everything, but I've seen stuff to indicate that a 15 C drop from the 4770k to 4790 is a pretty reasonable guess. Gains get smaller at lower temperatures though, of course. Core temps in the 70s or higher are probably where you'd prefer to dial it back to get the most power/performance and longevity on the chip, so that'd be plenty for you.

Noctua's color is weird. I'm pretty sure the color is because they know they make some of the best stuff, so that color instantly says "I have money to burn on awesome Austrian fans and I care about the performance more than the bling". It is distinctive. I'm probably going to buy some phanteks fans in all white and stuff the noctuas in a different part of the case if the phanteks fans are as good (and I think they're close at least, better be if I'm getting a case with a bunch in it).

Noctua's also released later series of fans in a grey and dark grey scheme and industrial ones in black with brown grommets on the corners.

The Swiftech is gorgeous though, it's high end stuff (the seperate pump is actually because of copyright issues iirc).

Thanks for all the info guys!

I was thinking about it, the last time I built a system like this, SATA had just come out, my motherboard had it, but the version of Windows XP I was installing wouldn't recognize SATA drives to install on. So I had to use IDE CD-ROM and hard drives. I got awesome round ribbon cables, that had neon lights on them!

The case was a big aluminum Thermaltake it had 7 fans, and a fan speed controller, but it didn’t come wired up. Hooking all the fans up took 3 hours! According to Newegg, the build was 2004.

This was the build, it cost 1800 bucks all together.  

·         1 x Thermaltake Xaser V Damier V6420AU Silver 1.0 mm All aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply

·         1 x AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 SledgeHammer 2.4GHz Socket 940 Processor ADAFX53BOX

·         1 x CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 466 (PC 3700) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWINX1024-3700PT

·         1 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B300S0 300GB 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive

·         1 x ASUS SK8V 940 VIA K8T800 ATX AMD Motherboard

·         1 x ASUS AX800PRO/TVD/256 Radeon X800PRO 256MB 256-Bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

·        

It was a pretty bad ass system for the time. It stayed viable for a long time with a video card upgrade. Good times.

God no wonder it took three hours to get that thing hooked up. That's a bit nuts and it clearly predates cable management as a concept. The controller's cool though, but modern software stuff with fan curves is cooler yet.

And it's back when AMD was a good buy. God.

My first build was a Core 2 Duo with an 8600 GT that I got late enough to step up to an 8800 GT. I did that build at just the right time to get two revolutionary bits of price/performance new hotness. And then I stuck it all in an NZXT Apollo in orange because that build apparently predated good taste, although it had this cool art deco-y look to it.

And yeah. A full gig, you were a cool dude back then.

God no wonder it took three hours to get that thing hooked up. That's a bit nuts and it clearly predates cable management as a concept. The controller's cool though, but modern software stuff with fan curves is cooler yet.

And it's back when AMD was a good buy. God.

My first build was a Core 2 Duo with an 8600 GT that I got late enough to step up to an 8800 GT. I did that build at just the right time to get two revolutionary bits of price/performance new hotness. And then I stuck it all in an NZXT Apollo in orange because that build apparently predated good taste, although it had this cool art deco-y look to it.

And yeah. A full gig, you were a cool dude back then.

Yeah, that thing ran BF2 and WoW very well!

And yeah Cable what? I had built systems before, but the cases always had one or two fans that were just plugged into the PSU, the PSU that came with the case, and were even hooked up sometimes. I opened that case and it had a shitton of cables just hanging. It had little temp probes too.  I hated the case once I got used to it. The power switch was behind  a heavy and sharp door and that got old very fast.  I had just broken up with a fiancé' so I went a little overboard.  In fact, I just talked to a geek buddy and said, hey, if you were going to build a PC, and money was no concern, what would it be. 

He sent me an email, to my beta Gmail account, with a link to Newegg, with all the parts on that list, and I said fuck it, and bought it. Of course the ram wasn't the right kind, that mobo needed registered DDR, and that processor was nearly as expensive as the video card at the time too. But it really did last a lot longer than a medium build. 

JESUS CHRIST A WHOLE GIGABYTE

(Also, does it depress anyone else that the Xbox 360 has half a gig of RAM? PS3, too. So basically, games have been hobbled by terribad hardware for the past eight years.)

What does the new Xbox and PS4 have? 

Edited by Jeeps_Guns_Tanks

8 gigs shared high bandwidth graphics RAM in both consoles. There's gimmick cards coming out with that much already, but cards are actively using 4 gigs for the settings they can drive.

I'm more annoyed about the processors being AMD versions of Atom. 8 cores of that isn't much at all. At least it might teach devs to code with multiple threads cause it's the only way they're getting anything out of it.

The nice thing about the processor is that a platform can actually last a long time before it gets marginal. That's why I thought about getting a Haswell-E until I realized it'd make the heat output into my relatively small room more than I wanted.

I'm kinda counting on the computer helping heat the room this winter. This apartment has those shitty electric wall heaters. 

I'm not really sold on either the Xbox or PS4 just yet. 

I suppose it may boil down to the price dropping and a PS4 version of Gran Turismo coming out, though I hear Forza is good too.  Gaming is just so much better on a PC in most cases. 

Wood stove baby. Up here in the Pacific Northwest wood can be had for free if you have a truck and don't mind a little exercise. I am sitting here with the fire crackling, sipping Trader Joes tea and eating peanut brittle.

(Another couple weeks until we get Internet though. On the IPhone).

Heh, I've been there, the old system above was in a room the sun beat down on all afternoon, with it going during the summer the room was terrible. 

I went out and bought a free standing 10,000BTU AC unit and a big sheet of that aluminum backed foam insulation and sealed the window off, hooked the AC exhaust hose up through the sheet. The room was pitch black with the light off.  So I had this pitch black room, with that case with the sharp aluminum door stocking out, it made for cut up and bruised legs since the room wasn’t all that big. 

Wood stove baby. Up here in the Pacific Northwest wood can be had for free if you have a truck and don't mind a little exercise. I am sitting here with the fire crackling, sipping Trader Joes tea and eating peanut brittle.

(Another couple weeks until we get Internet though. On the IPhone).

I live in Cali, we will have all kinds of "Spare the Air" days, where if you burn wood, they fine you. And they have sniffer trucks that go out looking for people to fine. Cali sucks. 

I live in Cali, we will have all kinds of "Spare the Air" days, where if you burn wood, they fine you. And they have sniffer trucks that go out looking for people to fine. Cali sucks.

Wow. For a state that is so lovely, California is terrible. There are occasional burn bans in Seattle and we get bad air in the summer and always a few weeks in the dead of winter where we have some still, dead days. But I live far enough out in the country where that doesn't matter.

I'm kinda counting on the computer helping heat the room this winter. This apartment has those shitty electric wall heaters. 

I'm not really sold on either the Xbox or PS4 just yet. 

I suppose it may boil down to the price dropping and a PS4 version of Gran Turismo coming out, though I hear Forza is good too.  Gaming is just so much better on a PC in most cases. 

I used to be able to drive the Nurburgring in Forza without assists, which was pretty cool.

Just keep in mind, we're gonna be stuck with "current gen" consoles for at least a decade.

And if you think that doesn't affect you because you just play PC games...

I'm so happy I'm pretty much done with the AAA game market. Honestly though, they've gotten so damned refined that they're just hitting the same notes and I've sen everything before. Weird smaller budget games are a lot more interesting because they aren't designed by the accountants.

Wow. For a state that is so lovely, California is terrible. There are occasional burn bans in Seattle and we get bad air in the summer and always a few weeks in the dead of winter where we have some still, dead days. But I live far enough out in the country where that doesn't matter.

It really is both lovely and horrid.  Though I think state wide CCW permits just got passed.  That's something. 

Just keep in mind, we're gonna be stuck with "current gen" consoles for at least a decade.

And if you think that doesn't affect you because you just play PC games...

So pretty soon we'll have enough grunt to just emulate them in software, meaning any games exclusive to a given console are now shared with PC?

The wife has OKd the video card purchse. 

So, here's what NewEgg has in stock, what should I get.  Also should I consider waiting for better deals next week?

ASUS GTX980 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121905

Zotac GTX 980 AMP! 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500359

MSI GTX 980 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127834

Another Zotac GTX 980 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500361

PNY GTX980 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133563

EVGA GTX 980 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487078

MSI GTX 980 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127838

I'm leaning towards the ASUS, EVGA or PNY, I've had good luck with them over the years. Never tried Zotac, and not much stands out in my memory on MSI stuff. 

Leaning towars the last MSI card I listed. 

Edited by Jeeps_Guns_Tanks

I'd slightly push towards a 970 and save the difference because it's a big price increase for not a huge increase in performance.

350 bucks for a Gigabyte 970, which has the most effective cooler on load, and does a good job cooling all the chips and VRMs.

Now about those 980s:

The PNY is the reference design, which would be my choice for a blower type. The blower type is a bit less quiet and a bit warmer, but it doesn't vent its heat onto the motherboard, which is a bit of a plus for a system without a CPU fan blowing on it. I think the ASUS has the best open cooler, with pretty good cooling of most components and passive idle for totally quiet desktop use. The MSI (not the blower, that looks pants) is probably a decent second option, also with a passive idle. I think EVGA has their ACX 2.0 sorted out, and they stand by their products, so even though it isn't necessarily the best performer (although I think if it's got a full on ACX 2.0 it's a solid performer), it's a good safe choice. All told, I'd lean towards EVGA because it's safe, the PNY because blowers are good for peace of mind and if you're overclocking long term you don't want too much heat on the mobo VRMs, or the gigabyte 970 because it's a solid performer for significantly less money (if you don't desperately want the free game or are cool with the OC'ed version, I'd probably recommend that even with the EVGA because that cooler is awesome.

I'd slightly push towards a 970 and save the difference because it's a big price increase for not a huge increase in performance.

350 bucks for a Gigabyte 970, which has the most effective cooler on load, and does a good job cooling all the chips and VRMs.

Now about those 980s:

The PNY is the reference design, which would be my choice for a blower type. The blower type is a bit less quiet and a bit warmer, but it doesn't vent its heat onto the motherboard, which is a bit of a plus for a system without a CPU fan blowing on it. I think the ASUS has the best open cooler, with pretty good cooling of most components and passive idle for totally quiet desktop use. The MSI (not the blower, that looks pants) is probably a decent second option, also with a passive idle. I think EVGA has their ACX 2.0 sorted out, and they stand by their products, so even though it isn't necessarily the best performer (although I think if it's got a full on ACX 2.0 it's a solid performer), it's a good safe choice. All told, I'd lean towards EVGA because it's safe, the PNY because blowers are good for peace of mind and if you're overclocking long term you don't want too much heat on the mobo VRMs, or the gigabyte 970 because it's a solid performer for significantly less money (if you don't desperately want the free game or are cool with the OC'ed version, I'd probably recommend that even with the EVGA because that cooler is awesome.

You posted this a few minuted to late. I ended up going with the non blower MSI, I wanted to get the order in before I went to bed so I could get the card before the weekend without having to pay to much extra shipping. I don't have much computer time in the mornings and pretty much just got home from work. 

Hopefully I don't end up regretting it, but it seems like a pretty good card, plus I'm downloading Farcry 4 heh. 

Thanks for the advice though!

The non blower MSI is gonna be a really pretty solid card that should behave overall pretty much like the ASUS if a bit worse.

This is angry nerd optimization, not something that'll ruin everything forever if you don't do it. It's got the fans stop when the card's cool bios and a solidly competitive cooler.