Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Also, tiger tanks stopped running because the ball bearing plants were bombed.  Um.....

They don't say or imply that at all.

In regards to German material shortages they said "...The Scweinfurt Raid was designed to destroy ball bearings, and the Tiger Tank with it's screeching noises were bushings as a result of not having ball bearings".

Starts at 13:40 in the video.

They don't say or imply that at all.

In regards to German material shortages they said "...The Scweinfurt Raid was designed to destroy ball bearings, and the Tiger Tank with it's screeching noises were bushings as a result of not having ball bearings".

Starts at 13:40 in the video.

Ah, I guess I misheard that. Anyhow, as far as I know, the Schienfurt raids did not do much to actually cause a ball bearing shortage in German industry.  I'll have to double check, but I have never heard that Tiger tanks were excessively loud due to failing bushings.  I could be wrong, I haven't spent much time reading about Tiger tanks lately.  Now, lack of rubber certainly lead to louder tanks, that was an issue the Germans had to deal with.

To be honest, I don't have a strong enough opinion regarding the Stg44 to have much of an opinion either way.  I enjoy Ian's forgotten weapons videos and assume his opinions have merit, as I do Sturgeon's.  

Ah, I guess I misheard that. Anyhow, as far as I know, the Schienfurt raids did not do much to actually cause a ball bearing shortage in German industry.  I'll have to double check, but I have never heard that Tiger tanks were excessively loud due to failing bushings.  I could be wrong, I haven't spent much time reading about Tiger tanks lately.  Now, lack of rubber certainly lead to louder tanks, that was an issue the Germans had to deal with.

To be honest, I don't have a strong enough opinion regarding the Stg44 to have much of an opinion either way.  I enjoy Ian's forgotten weapons videos and assume his opinions have merit, as I do Sturgeon's.  

That "noise" has more to do with the track pitch, design and how it interacts with the drive sprocket than the roadwheels having bearings or bushings.

I deal with some tracked loaders that are "screechy"  while having a rubberband track and rubber/composite roadwheels (with bearings) because of how the drive motors and their sprockets interact with the steel drive and centering teeth molded into the track.

Tank tracks don't have ball bearings in them.  They're just dry pins between track plates, with the exception of the bizarro German half-track designs from WWII with the needle bearings.  This is what a (de-facto NATO standard) Diehl track link looks like:

Spare_Parts_Manual_drawing.jpg

And this is what tiger track links look like:

tigertracks-5-1.jpg

It's remarkable, but generally every time anyone has tried to do something fancy with the tracks like spherical bearings its has proven to be not worth the trouble.

FAMAS in barricade drills.  Note the technique used to fire the weapon left-handed around cover:

8TrBBwU.jpg

The FAMAS is actually very easy to switch from right handed to left handed ejection:

FAMAS_SparePartsBoltDiagram.jpg

Unlike the AUG or TAR-21, which require a special left-handed bolt, there is simply one bolt for the FAMAS that can be arranged for left or right ejection depending on which socket the extractor is placed.  The cheek piece for the stock is reversed, and the rifle is ready to eject the other direction.  However, as the picture above makes clear, this doesn't work for shooting around cover.  Nobody is going to disassemble their rifle, re-arrange the extractor, put their rifle back together and then shoot around a corner.

The aimpoint mounting is very ad-hoc, and not very stable.  The carry handle of le clarion is just a piece of plastic that covers some moving parts, similar to the machinery cover of an AK.  it is not rigid enough to mount optics on:

34edbhi.jpg

23h86q8.jpg

At the risk of Mechanize gloating, the QBZ-95 does this better, and actually has a short piece of rail that is attached to the rear sight:

T97_exploded_diagram.jpg

The rail is a unique Chinese spec; not interchangeable with the 1913 Picatinny rail that is de-facto world standard.  However, this would be easy enough to change.

I think it and the Russian silent/compact guns use linear hammers actually, like a Vz. 58, but same diff.

Also correct:

IMG_0266Medium_zps33f1e647.jpg

qbz95_action.gif

It's a linear hammer, similar to a VZ-58.  You can make out in this series of pictures that the striker assembly is fat and blunt-faced, and the text mentions a separate firing pin that's pinned into the bolt.

Also, one thing of note about that image is, Ulric noted that the travel length for the action is very long, this is actually intentional oddly enough, as some of the earier prototypes fired significantly faster then what was desired, the solution on how to lower it was that, with the pink tab all the way at the back being the recoil buffer (which is slightly changed in design inside the 95-1).

The distinction between linear hammer and striker is academic for the most part... except in the case of the EM-2 where the striker is pulling double duty as the flap actuator, some of the time anyway (like I said, the EM-2 is internally strange).  If a striker is a linear-translating, single piece that is also the firing pin, but if it's two pieces then it's a linear hammer, does that mean that revolvers with the firing pin on the hammer have radial strikers?

Erm, my mistake by the way, I didn't see the full post you made and for some reason thought the QBZ-95 animation was part of the EM-2 post, I'm too tired to be doing this.

Yeah, I made a mistake, I'll just own up to it.