Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Terror Attacks and Active Shooter Events Thread

Donward

[Collimatrix here, I'm splitting this off and doing something I should have done a long time ago, which is have a thread dedicated to terror attacks and active shooters.  News updates, professional analysis, that sort of thing.  I know that these events are always very emotional and shocking, but let's try to keep it reasonable and level-headed.

AEarly reports are usually godawful wrong.  The whole truth may not come out for months.  Anyone who tries to make a political point before the blood has congealed is a jackass.]

So apparently there was a mass shooting in Las Vegas on the strip that just happened.

We'll have to wait until useful information begins to trickle in and for 24-48 hours to go by before the false reports get corrected.

Edit: The shaky mobile phone cam footage "sounds" kind of like automatic weapons fire. That is just a wild guess on my part. See second line.

54 minutes ago, Donward said:

So apparently there was a mass shooting in Las Vegas on the strip that just happened.

We'll have to wait until useful information begins to trickle in and for 24-48 hours to go by before the false reports get corrected.

Edit: The shaky mobile phone cam footage "sounds" kind of like automatic weapons fire. That is just a wild guess on my part. See second line.

Two distinct guns and full auto fire.

Just now, Sturgeon said:

Strangest thing about this is the guy apparently used an honest-to-god fully automatic weapon. Be interesting to see whether it was on the NFA registry or not.

If so, it kind of ruins my theory that full auto weapons would lower casualties in these sorts of events. Then again, it sounds like the dude fired a lot of bullets into that crowd.

I guess the best we can hope for is that all the wounded will pull through okay.

39 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Strangest thing about this is the guy apparently used an honest-to-god fully automatic weapon. Be interesting to see whether it was on the NFA registry or not.

We'll know soon enough. Working from memory, the only legal automatic weapon(s) used in a crime was by that black LA police officer who snapped a couple years ago and was hunting cops and their families. 

Edit: Also this will knock the Puerto Rico outrage right off the front pages and airwaves. FFS.

15 minutes ago, Donward said:

We'll know soon enough. Working from memory, the only legal automatic weapon(s) used in a crime was by that black LA police officer who snapped a couple years ago and was hunting cops and their families. 

Edit: Also this will knock the Puerto Rico outrage right off the front pages and airwaves. FFS.

I'll put it this way: The owner of Battlefield Vegas thinks it was a full auto with about 600 RPM, based on the video.

3 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I'll put it this way: The owner of Battlefield Vegas thinks it was a full auto with about 600 RPM, based on the video.

Oh yeah. No, this was no doubt a full auto - or multiple - full auto weapons used. The news reports say that "ten rifles" were found in the room. AK-47 or an AR. Probably doesn't really matter. I'd be surprised if there weren't both variants involved.

1 minute ago, Sturgeon said:

Crazy thing is, if you take eyewitness accounts into, errr, account, then it almost seems like this dickhead was running a belt fed.

Drum magazine would be my guess per the video that Ramlaen posted. 75-100 rounder. Although the news reports that I've been reading says this guy was firing off and on for "ten minutes".

*caveats on quality of news coverage of course*

1 minute ago, Donward said:

Oh yeah. No, this was no doubt a full auto - or multiple - full auto weapons used. The news reports say that "ten rifles" were found in the room. AK-47 or an AR. Probably doesn't really matter. I'd be surprised if there weren't both variants involved.

If we take the 600 RPM figure as gospel, that rules out almost all full auto AR-15s and things like the M249 as the sources of gunfire. Which suggests an AK, M240, or other 7.62 machine gun.

Now the question is: where did this scumbag get weapons like that? Could these be on the NFA registry?

3 minutes ago, Donward said:

Drum magazine would be my guess per the video that Ramlaen posted. 75-100 rounder. Although the news reports that I've been reading says this guy was firing off and on for "ten minutes".

*caveats on quality of news coverage of course*

An AK w/ drum is a distinct possibility. Total insanity.

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

If so, it kind of ruins my theory that full auto weapons would lower casualties in these sorts of events. Then again, it sounds like the dude fired a lot of bullets into that crowd.

I guess the best we can hope for is that all the wounded will pull through okay.

They don't call it "group therapy" mode for nothing, man.

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

Most mass shootings are not optimized for using high volumes of fire. This is an exception.

9 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

If we take the 600 RPM figure as gospel, that rules out almost all full auto AR-15s and things like the M249 as the sources of gunfire. Which suggests an AK, M240, or other 7.62 machine gun.

Now the question is: where did this scumbag get weapons like that? Could these be on the NFA registry?

7 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

An AK w/ drum is a distinct possibility. Total insanity.

I'm not like some of you lot who can recognize the difference between what obscure Czech prototype from the 1920s is just by hearing the sound of the weapon's bolt racking but god damn if it didn't sound like an AK or some similar 7.62 weapon. (Hard to judge sound quality via folks' cell phone video, uploaded to Instagram, translated to my computer's crap sound system, etc). It was my first reaction from last night, but that would be jumping to conclusions.

As for how he got them? Fuck. Who knows. The pictures of the guy seem like your typical 60 some year old whose best days are behind him. He might have had the scratch to buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of NFA stuff. Or this could be some modified/roll your own variants.

The unfortunate thing is that it seems like he knew how to operate a fully auto weapon and keep it going. So often with these mass shootings, the perpetrator is some fucktard who barely knows how to operate the gun he's using and can't figure out how to clear jams (the mall shooter in Portland, Ore a couple years ago for instance). This guy was able to keep this one (or multiple) weapons going through full auto mag dumps for ten minutes. 

*mag dump*

*Reload for 15-20 seconds, dropping the spent drum, deliberately reaching for a new drum, inserting it, releasing the slide, re-aiming*

*Repeat*

This is not a good day. And the media/social media reaction is going to be a shitstorm when folks wake up.*

6 minutes ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

I would need to watch some videos, but I find it more likely that it was not full auto, he just had some crank thing on it.  I'm sure you could jerry-rig it with a power drill and get some decent RPM downrange.

YIBQKQ4.png

Cranks give a variable rate of fire. We're not seeing that.