Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Toxn

Black powder thread

Blunderbusses (with assorted stuff at the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jh38eMoLPg

I occasionally wonder if one good reason for having the bell end to a blunderbuss is that it makes loading loose powder and shot easier. It is essentially a funnel at the end of the barrel, after all...

It was. Gravel, etc was a common load for these.

The belled muzzle facilitated quick and easy reloading.

I've been told that "glass" was a favorite load for a time.  Let that soak for a bit.

It was. Gravel, etc was a common load for these.

The belled muzzle facilitated quick and easy reloading.

I've been told that "glass" was a favorite load for a time.  Let that soak for a bit.

It actually sounds perfect - the sharp edges would cut through clothing, but the low density would prevent fatal wounds. Great if your plan is to hurt rather than kill.

It actually sounds perfect - the sharp edges would cut through clothing, but the low density would prevent fatal wounds. Great if your plan is to hurt rather than kill.

The range (and era) those were commonly used, it'd damn sure be fatal, just not immediately.

Interestingly, it seems as if this is one of the few shotgun loads which taofledermaus hasn't tested...

Edit: ...and the only direct reference I can find to the concept is on stormfront...

Edit 2: ...so the only really solid evidence we have to go on here is the freaking Mythbusters. Their conclusion seems to be what I'd expect: lots of small shards of glass = lots of superficial cuts. Nasty, but not fatal barring an infection.

I'll have to dig, and maybe ask a friend, but I've seen what "fine shot" does.

At "household range" it does not "pepper", it macerates.

I've even seen examples of people killed by the wadding from shotshells.

So a handfull of glass at just under supersonic at short range, is going to thoroughly fuck your day.

Bele and I on TS were talking about the maximum potential of black powder as a propellant (came from him talking about people making black powder cannons). So, the question is, has anyone yet made a black powder light gas gun?

Edit: or a black powder Voitenko compressor