Sturgeon's House
Sturgeon

Historical Pictures Thread

29060534_1853938531304934_63095132896631

Traces of Texas reader Ginger Leigh's great grandfather, Jack Cones, Sr., was a noted San Antonio photographer for many years. He took this 1923 art shot of a woman holding a rosary and, Ginger says, many other photos that she has inherited. This was pretty racy at the time, I reckon. I love the gauzy, Venetian quality to the lighting. Almost like a painting.

33899670_1921241001241353_71443058177207

On Sept. 15, 1896, two trains collided in a pre-arranged collision at a site three miles south of current-day West, Texas. The trains, moving at approximately 50 mph, were the main attraction at a publicity stunt created by a man named William George Crush, general passenger agent of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad, who conceived the idea in order to demonstrate a staged train wreck as a public spectacle. No admission was charged, and train fares to the crash site were offered at the reduced rate of US$2 from any location in Texas. It is believed that 40,000 people showed up to witness the event, making it temporarily the second largest city in Texas. Things went horribly awry because the violence of the collision was far worse than anticipated. The boilers exploded, sending huge chunks of metal hurtling through the air. Two or three people were killed and many more wounded. Of of the wounded was the man who took this photograph at the moment of collision. He was a photographer named Jarvis Deane, and an instant after he snapped this photo, a bolt struck him in the eye, blinding him in that eye. For the rest of his life he was known as "One-eyed Deane."

http://charly015.blogspot.com/2018/06/como-se-imaginaron-los-estadounidenses.html

I was looking at the publications of the American DIA and it occurred to me that it would be interesting to see how they imagined what Soviet equipment and systems were and how they really were, to compare.

It feels that some of thos pictures were done based on American designs and word description.

soviet%2Bmilitary%2Bopower%2Bsu-27.jpg

soviet%2Bmilitary%2Bopower%2Btu-160%2B2.jpg

More in the link, including ground vehicle, satellites, space ships, radars, subs and so on.