Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Historical Pictures Thread

29060534_1853938531304934_63095132896631

Traces of Texas reader Ginger Leigh's great grandfather, Jack Cones, Sr., was a noted San Antonio photographer for many years. He took this 1923 art shot of a woman holding a rosary and, Ginger says, many other photos that she has inherited. This was pretty racy at the time, I reckon. I love the gauzy, Venetian quality to the lighting. Almost like a painting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

33899670_1921241001241353_71443058177207

On Sept. 15, 1896, two trains collided in a pre-arranged collision at a site three miles south of current-day West, Texas. The trains, moving at approximately 50 mph, were the main attraction at a publicity stunt created by a man named William George Crush, general passenger agent of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad, who conceived the idea in order to demonstrate a staged train wreck as a public spectacle. No admission was charged, and train fares to the crash site were offered at the reduced rate of US$2 from any location in Texas. It is believed that 40,000 people showed up to witness the event, making it temporarily the second largest city in Texas. Things went horribly awry because the violence of the collision was far worse than anticipated. The boilers exploded, sending huge chunks of metal hurtling through the air. Two or three people were killed and many more wounded. Of of the wounded was the man who took this photograph at the moment of collision. He was a photographer named Jarvis Deane, and an instant after he snapped this photo, a bolt struck him in the eye, blinding him in that eye. For the rest of his life he was known as "One-eyed Deane."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://charly015.blogspot.com/2018/06/como-se-imaginaron-los-estadounidenses.html

I was looking at the publications of the American DIA and it occurred to me that it would be interesting to see how they imagined what Soviet equipment and systems were and how they really were, to compare.

It feels that some of thos pictures were done based on American designs and word description.

soviet%2Bmilitary%2Bopower%2Bsu-27.jpg

soviet%2Bmilitary%2Bopower%2Btu-160%2B2.jpg

More in the link, including ground vehicle, satellites, space ships, radars, subs and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

A series of photographs taken during the raid of B-25 bombers from the US 90th Bomber Squadron, to the forces of the Japanese Navy stationed in Simpson Harbor; the Bismarck Archipelago; 2nd November 1943

8655708_original.jpg

Spoiler

8655963_original.jpg

8656223_original.jpg

8656628_original.jpg

8656892_original.jpg

8657110_original.jpg

8657254_original.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

39742721_2052043894827729_26398006738052

This is Catherine Moylan, winner of the First International Pageant of Pulchritude and Seventh Annual Bathing Girl Revue, which was a beauty pageant held from May 15 to May 17, 1926, in Galveston, Texas. The previous editions of the Galveston Bathing Girl Revue had only featured contestants from the United States. However, during the 1926 event, one contestant from Mexico and another from Canada entered, giving the pageant its first international competitors. It was reported that around 160,000 people watched the bathing costume parade on the afternoon of the 16th. Judging was based on "beauty, form, grace, and personal charm. Costumes, props, and other decorations were not considered.

As noted, Miss Dallas, Catherine Moylan (1904-1969), won the event, becoming the first Beauty Queen of the Universe. She was already a performer in the Ziegfeld Follies.

For winning, Moylan received $2000, and a gold and silver plaque engraved with “Beauty Queen of the Universe”. Said Catherine: "I'm really overwhelmed by the results of the pageant, and my good fortune is almost more than I had hoped for. But I really don't feel much different than yesterday, when I was no more than 'Miss Dallas.'" She added that she would use the prize money to attend Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

Catherine later signed with MGM Studios and appeared in several silent films before having roles in “Love On The Run” (1930) and “Our Blushing Brides” (1930).

Soviet and Chinese trucks used on the Ho Chi Minh Trail, a network of transport routes in Cambodia and Laos used by North Vietnam to support Vietnamese guerrillas operating in South Vietnam; 1970s

9570152_original.jpg

Spoiler

9570523_original.jpg

9570806_original.jpg

9570889_original.jpg

9571088_original.jpg

9571445_original.jpg

9571684_original.jpg

9571855_original.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/81424/retrobituaries-olive-oatman-pioneer-girl-who-became-marked-woman?fbclid=IwAR2bqEIrVpS3SLSi2X9vc6WtmjJeDCRM2eWtT2Se82oaNm86kUqxP5Xlv_Y

Olive Oatman, the Pioneer Girl Abducted by Native Americans Who Returned a Marked Woman

Olive_Oatman,_1857.png

About a century and a half ago, some Native American tribes of the Southwest used facial tattoos as spiritual rites of passage. Through a series of strange tragedies (and some possible triumphs), a white Mormon teenager who was traveling with her family through the area in the mid-19th century ended up sporting one too, a symbol of a complicated dual life she could never quite shake.

In 1851, the Oatman family, having broken from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was traveling through southeastern California and western Arizona, looking for a place to settle. As newly inducted Brewsterites—followers of Mormon rebel James C. Brewster—they’d been advised that California was, in fact, the true “intended gathering place” for Mormons, rather than Utah.

The group of approximately 90 followers had left Independence, Missouri, in the summer of 1850, but when they arrived in the New Mexico Territory, the party split, with Brewster’s faction taking the route to Santa Fe and then south to Socorro, and Royce (sometimes spelled Roys) Oatman leading a group to Socorro and then over to Tucson. ...

Olive-Oatman-CDV-by-Powelson%20copy.jpg

547px-Olive_Oatman1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Image may contain: sky, boat, outdoor, nature and water

Traces of Texas reader Dwayne Cullers was nice enough to send in this nifty 1950s photo of the ferry that used to ford the Red River between Idabel, Oklahoma and Clarksville, Texas. The ferry was replaced in the 1950s by a bridge. I kind of wish they'd kept the ferry! This photo is courtesy the Oklahoma Historical Society.

Thank you, Dwayne. Nice find!

• 2 weeks later...