Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

From what I've read about the G/K43, it's not that it's generally prone to parts breakage.  It's very prone to bolt carrier cracking and the flimsy little safety getting screwed up, but the rest of the parts are generally OK.  Assuming it wasn't made by slave labor and deliberately sabotaged, of course.

STG-44 was pleasant enough.  It doesn't bounce around under recoil very much because it's fucking heavy.

STG-44 is, probably more than any mass-produced automatic weapon I know of, shaped by the bizarre industrial circumstances of its creation.  Maybe the PPS-43 comes close.  STG-44 was supposed to conserve high-quality steel from day 0.  Who the hell else has had that as a requirement?

I can confirm that the G43 is indeed prone to parts breakages. I literally just snapped and actuator rod and cracked a bolt sleeve. Cost me $400 to get the goddamn thing up and running again.

The gunsmith I sent it to said that it is very common for parts to have been improperly heat treated even at the start of production. Another gentleman I know who owns a gun shop had a bolt carrier explode in his face. It was the one time he wore eye protection by a stroke of luck (I believe Nathaniel was with me when I was being told the story).

I can confirm that the G43 is indeed prone to parts breakages. I literally just snapped and actuator rod and cracked a bolt sleeve. Cost me $400 to get the goddamn thing up and running again.

The gunsmith I sent it to said that it is very common for parts to have been improperly heat treated even at the start of production. Another gentleman I know who owns a gun shop had a bolt carrier explode in his face. It was the one time he wore eye protection by a stroke of luck (I believe Nathaniel was with me when I was being told the story).

Interesting.  I had seen many pictures of cracked bolt carriers before, but did not realize that the entire rest of the gun was suspect too.

I suppose the design was beyond what German industry could reliably build at the time.  Also, it's a very bad design (albeit with one or two good ideas).

The only thing I could think about when I saw the bits and pieces of this post being assembled in the Dashboard was "is this sort of thing really in the spirit of Faxon customer service?"

The readers apparently liked it, though, so I'm not going to be a debbie downer. I will just mention that Faxon has, uh, had some customer services issues in the past...

As an aside, I'm not sure why Steve wants us to turn into Cracked.com with a bunch of Top 10 X lists. I formatted my MP.44 article because after I'd outlined it, it made sense to just move the outline over as paragraph dividers. Sure, that's lazier, but the post was 1700 words as is. But seriously, any posts with "Top N X" or whatever in the title really gets Steve excited...

Also, LOLed at this part:

Pro tip: When a firearm or part breaks, especially if it is a novel malfunction, let the company get it back. They will fix it and it helps them make the product even better.

Pro tip: Faxon guns are shit, and if you send your gun back to them, that's basically letting them sweep any problems under the rug to avoid fixing them. The correct answer is to just not buy anything from Faxon.

The Spread Bad Reputation Guy

• Everyone has a right to air their opinion anytime, but this guy wants to use the opinion as a weapon. This guy leaps to the “I’m a big deal on XYZ forum and I am going to speak badly about your company and how badly you treated me”. CSRs try to treat everyone with the same respect and service. Ay Carumba… Most of the time, the Rep Guy is the one in the wrong and treating the company like garbage. Don’t worry, we saved that recorded call and e-mails…
  • Pro-Tip: Rather than lead with a stick, use the carrot and offer to say good things about the company’s service.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

In context, he meant that Hitler was the first person to name the weapon, specifically, a "Sturmgewehr", which translates literally into English as "Storm rifle" or "Assault rifle".(The inventor of the Lewis Gun made a prototype rifle called the "Assault Phase Rifle" during WW1, but it has the word phase in it so not good enough! It's also in a full power cartridge though to be fair, *shrug*.)

It's not a very convincing argument, who cares what someone called a thing? what matters is who made the first of It's kind, not who made the name for it. And, as Max Popenker's article on the subject points out, It's a rather dumb and arbitrary list of critera on what actually defines something an "assault rifle" or "BATTUL RIFUL!" and what doesn't to the point it's almost dumb to argue about alot of  the time.

But, to combine my vast knowledge of mind altering narcotics with my anti-German bias (If you think Sturgeon is vehemently anti-German Alex, just wait until you get a load of me at my full potential!) and my ability to make bad analogies, It would be like claiming the Germans invented the drug Heroin (and by extension, the first "true" semi synthetic opiate and a much longer list of semi synthetic and synthetic opiates that would be created in the future by realizing that Morphine and Codeine could be so readily enhanced in strength) just because Bayer was the one who trade marked Diacetylmorphine under that name, and because that name is what It's known as now, they clearly invented it!

.....Even though a British chemist by the name of Charles Romley Alder Wright was the first person to synthesize it in 1874, 24 years before Felix Hoffmann and Bayer patented it under that trade name in 1898, but just because Wright's work didn't gain as much attention because he didn't have a massive pharmaceutical company backing him up for mass production and patenting, that he wasn't important at all in it's discovery and "setting the pattern." that would follow for various opiate based discoveries today.

Yeah, kind of a shit analogy, but you get the idea.