Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Tank tracks don't have ball bearings in them.  They're just dry pins between track plates, with the exception of the bizarro German half-track designs from WWII with the needle bearings.  This is what a (de-facto NATO standard) Diehl track link looks like:

Spare_Parts_Manual_drawing.jpg

And this is what tiger track links look like:

tigertracks-5-1.jpg

It's remarkable, but generally every time anyone has tried to do something fancy with the tracks like spherical bearings its has proven to be not worth the trouble.

You do encounter rubber bushed dry pins, they can be fairly quiet till the bushes rot/wear out.

And yes, the tracks used on the German half/semi tracks were ridiculous.  The vehicles themselves were needlessly complicated. 

Service brakes, two levers for steering brakes (on the tracks) and a steering wheel for the front axle.

You are a braver man than I, doing a run-n-gun with a literal museum piece.

That's a Krag. I'd almost consider it outright cheating.

They are of a level of "slick" that makes most SMLE's weep in jealousy. And that appears to be a rather nice one.

I own a No1 MkIII, but for rattles I used a No4 because the mags were in fact pretty much interchangeable. (Hence my making a 30 round mag for my Long Branch)

No, you don't understand. It's not the rapidity of fire I am worried about, it's that Alex's Krag literally came out of a museum and is in much nicer shape for such and old gun than I'd be comfortable putting through the ringer.

I'm sure Alex didn't do a course of fire that was very hard on the gun, but one could always trip and fall...

No, you don't understand. It's not the rapidity of fire I am worried about, it's that Alex's Krag literally came out of a museum and is in much nicer shape for such and old gun than I'd be comfortable putting through the ringer.

I'm sure Alex didn't do a course of fire that was very hard on the gun, but one could always trip and fall...

I used to own one of the guns from the Champlin museum collection. Shot it til it smoked (AR-18) .

"Museum piece"? No excuse! If the grease is not bubbling out of it, it's not being worked thoroughly!

Preliminary tests of the new sniper rifle under "Accuracy" programm, developed by request of the Ministry of Defense of Russia, will begin in 2016, said to RIA Novosti the general director of the Central Research Institute of Precision Engineering (TsNIITochMash) Dmitry Semizorov. TsNIITochMash - head developer of the project and is responsible for the sniper complex as a whole. In total, five defense companies involved in the development of new sniper rifle. 

In an interview Semizorov noted that preliminary tests of the rifles in the interests of FSO of Russia have already taken place, and until the end of 2015 it is planned to complete the state tests.
(...)
   According to Semizorov, rifles were developed in unusual for Russia calibers - 7.62*51 and 8.6* 69 mm.

From Otvaga:

So, lets see what rifles are in the competition.

1.  Semizorov told at some point, and it is obvious that Orsis is involved in the competition, they previously showed rifle "VFO" (federal protection rifle) in the 308 and 338 calibers.

Ogt3s.jpg

P8BOQ.jpg

2. Concern Kalashnikov can provide its line of rifles based on the SV-98. SV-338 participated in the competition against the T-5000 and Mannlicher even during Serdyukov. Especially that the cartridge SP-152 is certified with the SV-338.

BWVTZ.jpg

3. KBP can show their MTs-116P, the "hunting" Novosibirsk .338 catridge was certified with this rifle.

i1MHF.jpg

4. ZiD have a mysterious rifle, looks like a version of ASVK with a less powerful cartridge ....

2o6l5.jpg

5. And finally the TsNIITochMash is likely involved with their mysterious rifle (gun can be seen to the left from the MG):

WJ0ad.jpg

fyeSk.jpg