Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Hmm, I have a theory for a support weapon that's probably Dai level retarded, but I must sate my curiosity because it might actually work to some extent.

Colli! I need you! Is there a minimum feasible size you could make a neutron bomb? preferably one designed with a short duration of after effects?

Hmm, I have a theory for a support weapon that's probably Dai level retarded, but I must sate my curiosity because it might actually work to some extent.

Colli! I need you! Is there a minimum feasible size you could make a neutron bomb? preferably one designed with a short duration of after effects?

Yep; it's the minimum size that you can make a nuclear fission bomb, plus the minimum size you'd need for the D-T fusion secondary.

Unless you have magical future technology like laser-initiated fusion, in which case the minimum size is your laser plus your fusion fuel.

The math on the fast neutron kill radius for a pure fusion T-T bomb is really fun to do, if you're having a lousy day.

Yep; it's the minimum size that you can make a nuclear fission bomb, plus the minimum size you'd need for the D-T fusion secondary.

Unless you have magical future technology like laser-initiated fusion, in which case the minimum size is your laser plus your fusion fuel.

The math on the fast neutron kill radius for a pure fusion T-T bomb is really fun to do, if you're having a lousy day.

Damn, I think that would automatically make my idea too large, but, I was thinking something like a Davy Crockett, only a tripod mount Recoilless Rifle (as opposed to the smoothbore gun design it used) with a much higher velocity and flatter trajectory (maybe something involving RAVEN tech) and something like a tracking point optic for long distance shots with a smart airburst fuze to explode where desired. Why waste time trying to blow someone out from behind an object or demolishing all the objects when you can simply go through objects themselves in a 360 dome for instant infantry sweeping?

Like, this wouldn't even be a "tactical" weapon, something much smaller, but yeah, I don't know if it would be possible to get to the sizes needed given those requirements. (and the blast yields are too high.)

Updated the cartridge weight omnibus. The latest additions are:

Liberty 9mm 50gr
8mm Steyr
7.65 Mannlicher
.32 Short Rimfire
7.63 Mauser
.32 ACP
.221 Fireball
5.56x45 M855A1
.358 Winchester
8x63 Bofors
.35 Remington
.351 WSL FMJ
9.3x62 Torpedo
6.5x50SR 
.22 SCAMP
9mm SMAW
4.3x45 DAG
4.7x45 DAG
4.6x36 HK
4.6x36 CETME
.224 E2
.222 FA HiVel
5.56x30 MARS Tracer
5.56x33 HV Nylon
7.7x58SR AP
7.7x58SR Ball
.280/30 British Aluminum Cased

Very interesting.  Given how the AN-94 disassembles:

an-94-3.jpg

It would be fairly easy to replace the upper handguard portion with a railed one.

But who would make rail kits for the AN-94?  Didn't Izmash only make a few thousand of them?

Stock is from FAB, rails are probably prototype or custom made piece. IIRC FAB is working with KK, so probably they could have made it as well.

Years from now: I post pictures of my newborn baby. Then, I log on to this site, and find they're in the OP of a thread titled "Babies in America Pictures and Some Words" started by Loooser two weeks beforehand.

At least i know how healthy american family should look like  ;)

ZXzwYgubz9E.jpg

So with the latest TFB article about Larry Vickers and how he can't even be arsed to teach a $2,500 1911 gunsmithing class that he raked in 25 Grand from 10 rubes - including TFB's Nathan S (the S doesn't stand for Sturgeon) is it past time to cast Larry "Corporate Ad Placed Here" Vickers out from the sunlight of gud firearm personalities and into the infernal pit of perdition with the unclean likes of James Yeager and NutnFancy?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/10/20/review-larry-vickers-1911-advanced-gunsmithing-class/