Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

105x617 DM53 APFSDS-T?

Hello all,

I apologize for the fact that my first post is a question. I am a Dutch collector of medium and large calibre AP ammunition and I recently bought an 105mm APFSDS-T projectile, that is marked with the designation DM53. The 120mm DM53 is well known, but I cannot find any information on the 105mm DM53. I do know the IMI M426/DM63 round exists, for I have seen pictures of that, which would indicate that a DM53 would exist as well, in accordance with the way German ammo designations go. Questions to Rheinmetall, the Bundeswehr and various collector groups have remained unanswered. 

Among the experts here, is there anyone who has information on this type of APFSDS-T Round?

Thank you in advance,

Domichan

Most of the German 105 mm APFSDS ammunition was made by Diehl BGT Defence rather than Rheinmetall; apparently Diehl produced the 105 mm DM13 APDS (licence production of a British design), the 105 mm DM23 APFSDS (licenced copy of the Israeli M111 "Hetz"), the 105 mm DM33 APFSDS (IMI M413) and the 105 mm DM63 (IMI M426). The 105 mm DM43 APFSDS was made by Rheinmetall however.

I don't know who made the 105 mm DM53, maybe it never entered full service and was skipped like the 120 mm DM43 APFSDS. There is a projectile claimed to be from a 105 mm DM53 round on display in a German museum.

roECVxV.jpg

21 hours ago, SH_MM said:

Most of the German 105 mm APFSDS ammunition was made by Diehl BGT Defence rather than Rheinmetall; apparently Diehl produced the 105 mm DM13 APDS (licence production of a British design), the 105 mm DM23 APFSDS (licenced copy of the Israeli M111 "Hetz"), the 105 mm DM33 APFSDS (IMI M413) and the 105 mm DM63 (IMI M426). The 105 mm DM43 APFSDS was made by Rheinmetall however.

I don't know who made the 105 mm DM53, maybe it never entered full service and was skipped like the 120 mm DM43 APFSDS. There is a projectile claimed to be from a 105 mm DM53 round on display in a German museum.

Thank you SH_MM, for the additional information. The projectile I have, has a completely different shape than the one pictured. The front part is slightly wider than the rest of the penetrator, similar to the looks of the 120mm DM33. 

14 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

Whom did you contact there by the way?

I contacted their general @mindef email address. No reply yet. I did manage to get a direct email address from someone who works there, if I don't get a reply shortly, I'll contact that person directly.

I also contacted the Munitie Technologisch Museum in Landhorst. They did not have any information on this type and thought it might be an experimental type.

4 hours ago, Domichan said:

I contacted their general @mindef email address. No reply yet. I did manage to get a direct email address from someone who works there, if I don't get a reply shortly, I'll contact that person directly.

I also contacted the Munitie Technologisch Museum in Landhorst. They did not have any information on this type and thought it might be an experimental type.

Well get ready to type that mail because knowing our MoD, KCWM will never get your question. 

On 5/2/2018 at 6:51 PM, Bronezhilet said:

Does that display even have a sign? I don't remember there being one, although it's been 2 years since I was there so my memory is probably faulty.

I cannot remember either. However in another forum, where somebody posted all forums of his visit, he claimed that this was the 105 mm DM53.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 11:39 AM, SH_MM said:

roECVxV.jpg

Hi SH_MM, this is definitely not a 105mm projectile. Source: I saw it last sunday in the WTS museum in Koblenz. It looks like it is 25 or 30mm, does not have a type designation, but was something experimental. Forgot to take a picture of the sign. I'll do that when I visit it again. Very interesting museum for people interested in experimenta; weapons and prototype vehicles. I can recommend going there.

My fingers on the display for size:

https://imgur.com/UIFyFvP

Edited by Domichan
Add picture

• 1 year later...