Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Help Wanted: "Battle of the Battle Rifles"!

Alex C.

The Ingram experiment that I saw came from a 1980s vintage Guns & Ammo.

Here's a video of a fellow running a M1911 with black powder in what I presume was a "Wild Bunch" match.

https://youtu.be/j84J7VQ02CQ

How about an AR-15 with black powder?

https://youtu.be/kagMmjmExYU

I actually linked that video to TS a bit ago.

....YES! I BEAT D.E. WATTERS TO DOING A THING!

I've seen a few articles where the authors have played with blackpowder in the .45 ACP.  Besides the obvious M1911A1, one ambitious fellow decided to run the loads through an Ingram M10...instant smokescreen.

I did it with a M1928A1 Thompson and a C drum. It was impressive. Shockingly consistent.

I took my vacation this week and have absolutely nothing to do, so today I am weighing magazines as a result of talking with Nathaniel.

It all started when we discussed how absurdly heavy the STG57 is, as delivered to the Swiss army. However, the 510-4 and AMT variants have shorter barrels and are trimmed a bit (simplified sights and so on). The SIG weighs in at an impressive 9.06 pounds!

b629w8.jpg

And then we have various mag weights. Remember, the SIG mag is heavy because in 7.62, they used the same size mag as they did in 7.5 Swiss, but added a block/integral feed ramp:

2wfo8kw.jpg

A true military Westinghouse M14 mag:

2pyrwhl.jpg

An old "patents pending" AR10 mag:

2you79f.jpg

FN FAL:

ohnzpx.jpg

SCAR 17:

2r4op5h.jpg

G3 Mag:

b4xqo4.jpg

Some thoughts:

7.62x51 Sig mags are heavy, but result in not having to modify the receiver to accept a shorter mag.

The M14 mags feel the most robust.

AR10 mags are light, but at a cost to durability. I have broken one by having the follower snap the bit that retains the front of the follower, and another by having it expand too much after being loaded for a few months.

FAL and SCAR mags are essentially the same, but it is nice that they are the same weight despite the SCAR having that nice big floor plate to grab.

Aluminum G3 mags seem like a compromise between durability and weight. At $2.00 per mag, most people will find that in a batch of 10, one or two are worn out or dinged up too badly. The steel mags are much more robust, but are less common.

You can load any smokeless powder round with blackpowder, if the bore-to-maximum-case-interior-diameter ratio is high enough.

The .303" started as a compressed BP load though.  By firing BP .303" through a Vickers (or No4Mk1/2, or MkII BREN), the circle is complete (cue chanting, etc).

The .303" started as a compressed BP load though.  By firing BP .303" through a Vickers (or No4Mk1/2, or MkII BREN), the circle is complete (cue chanting, etc).

According to Rob of BML, the BP load was not the original intent, but was a stopgap. The Metford was always originally intended for smokeless.

Did you use a Vickers MG with .303 AP belts to finally drill through your wall per chance?

Did you use a Vickers MG with .303 AP belts to finally drill through your wall per chance?

Not yet, am experimenting with a radio relay based system til I get other things sorted here.

Like the wacky wiring and plumbing.  Will probably just rent a HILTI and run a couple trunk bores.

I have been tempted to try a Munroe charge, but being not that far from downtown, will probably stick to hammer drills..