Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Star Wars General Discussion Thread

Sturgeon

49 minutes ago, SergeantMatt said:

I just wish they'd make new ideas instead of pure nostalgia bait. I'd ask Tarantino to make a Star Wars movie that's just some criminal scumbags doing crime that happens to be in the Star Wars setting.

Have him do that Boba Fett standalone that may or may not be planned still.

2 hours ago, Scolopax said:

Have him do that Boba Fett standalone that may or may not be planned still.

Kind of tough to have a Tarantino directed Boba Fett movie if it doesn't involve his signature half an hour of non-plot related conversation around a dinner table schtick. I mean, Boba Fett never talks.

Also the Samuel L. Jackson character in Star Wars is already dead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So now they're expecting us to believe that Lando Calrissian is "pan-sexual".

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lando-calrissian-sexual-fluidity-solo-star-wars_us_5af77d59e4b00d7e4c1b37a9

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2018/05/17/lando-calrissian-pansexual-solo-star-wars-reaction/620566002/

“There’s a fluidity to Donald and Billy Dee’s [portrayal of Lando’s] sexuality,” Kasdan continued. “I mean, I would have loved to have gotten a more explicitly LGBT character into this movie. I think it’s time, certainly, for that, and I love the fluidity ― sort of the spectrum of sexuality that Donald appeals to and that droids are a part of.”

“He doesn’t make any hard and fast rules. I think it’s fun,” Kasdan said. “I don’t know where it will go.”

Because not only is Hollywood/Disney unable to make a good Star Wars movie, it's writers lack the emotional intelligence to be able to interpret the portrayal of Lando in Empire Strikes Back/Last Jedi as anything but a roguish playboy who only shows sexual interest in a female (and an attractive princess at that). 

4 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Hmm, another star wars movie where the Critics Rotten Tomatoes rating is significantly higher than the fan rating.  

I've been glancing at the Box Office numbers for "Solo" which are "struggling", "disappointing", and "underperforming". Personally I think it is bleed-over with just how terrible "Last Jedi" was. I'm not even sure if mrs. the Captain and I are going to even see it in the theaters.

Also fuck Rotten Tomatoes with a rusty light saber. Here is a their list of Star Wars movies Worst to Best.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/all-star-wars-movies-ranked-by-tomatometer/

53 minutes ago, Donward said:

I've been glancing at the Box Office numbers for "Solo" which are "struggling", "disappointing", and "underperforming". Personally I think it is bleed-over with just how terrible "Last Jedi" was. I'm not even sure if mrs. the Captain and I are going to even see it in the theaters.

Also fuck Rotten Tomatoes with a rusty light saber. Here is a their list of Star Wars movies Worst to Best.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/all-star-wars-movies-ranked-by-tomatometer/

That's a terrible list.  I'd be willing to put Force Awakens #4 after the original trilogy  Rogue one goes somewhere in the middle I suppose.  The real question is where to put Last Jedi?  Does it go above or below the prequel trilogy?

29 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

That's a terrible list.  I'd be willing to put Force Awakens #4 after the original trilogy  Rogue one goes somewhere in the middle I suppose.  The real question is where to put Last Jedi?  Does it go above or below the prequel trilogy?

For all that was bad in the prequels, there WERE entertaining elements and even downright awesome ones. Obi Wan's fight with Jango Fett in the rain. The Darth Maul fight with Obi Wan and Qai Gon. The Obi Wan scene where...

OK, Ewan Mcgregor playing Obi Wan was pretty much the only good part of the prequels. But still. (Ian McDiarmid was a good Palpatine as well)

So Last Jedi is the absolute worst - to date - of the franchise. It's the emotional equivalent of finding out your childhood home has been taken over by drug addict hoarders, and sorting through the piss-soaked and syringe-covered mess. I liked Rogue One and it is an "Okay" film that obviously had some bad editing decisions, and a couple questionable dialogue choices. I have not re-watched Force Awakens yet, and in wake of the Last Jedi debacle, I know my view on it is now clouded. 

Also, I'm one of those weird guys that likes the first Star Wars film over Empire Strikes Back (even though I'll admit that ESB is a technically better movie).

1) New Hope

2) Empire Strikes Back

3) Return of the Jedi

4) Rogue One

5) Force Awakens **

6) Revenge of the Sith

7) Phantom menace

8) Attack of the Clones

9) Bill Murray as "Nick the Lounge Singer" singing "Star Wars"

10) Star Wars Christmas Special

11) The Ewok Adventure

12) Watching the weird kid in school burn his Star Wars action figures that one time in elementary

13)

14) Last Jedi

2 minutes ago, Donward said:

For all that was bad in the prequels, there WERE entertaining elements and even downright awesome ones. Obi Wan's fight with Jango Fett in the rain. The Darth Maul fight with Obi Wan and Qai Gon. The Obi Wan scene where...

OK, Ewan Mcgregor playing Obi Wan was pretty much the only good part of the prequels. But still. (Ian McDiarmid was a good Palpatine as well)

So Last Jedi is the absolute worst - to date - of the franchise. It's the emotional equivalent of finding out your childhood home has been taken over by drug addict hoarders, and sorting through the piss and syringe covered mess. I liked Rogue One and it is an "Okay" film that obviously had some bad editing decisions, and a couple questionable dialogue choices. I have not re-watched Force Awakens yet, and in wake of the Last Jedi debacle, I know my view on it is now clouded. 

Also, I'm one of those weird guys that likes the first Star Wars film over Empire Strikes Back (even though I'll admit that ESB is a technically better movie).

1) New Hope

2) Empire Strikes Back

3) Return of the Jedi

4) Rogue One

5) Force Awakens **

6) Revenge of the Sith

7) Phantom menace

8) Attack of the Clones

11) The Ewok Adventure

12) Watching the weird kid in school burn his Star Wars action figures that one time in elementary

13)

14) Last Jedi

It's probably splitting hairs, but I would put attack of the clones above Phantom Menace.  Clones is a god awful film, but it has less Jar Jar.  I would put Force Awakens above Rogue One because I liked the characters better.  The amazing thing about Last Jedi is that it managed to shit all over the original trilogy AND Force Awakens.  It's pretty amazing when a film can be an insult to both it's own trilogy, and the one that preceded it.

Also, you forgot to put Space Balls in there.  

10 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

It's probably splitting hairs, but I would put attack of the clones above Phantom Menace.  Clones is a god awful film, but it has less Jar Jar.  I would put Force Awakens above Rogue One because I liked the characters better.  The amazing thing about Last Jedi is that it managed to shit all over the original trilogy AND Force Awakens.  It's pretty amazing when a film can be an insult to both it's own trilogy, and the one that preceded it.

Also, you forgot to put Space Balls in there.  

Yeah. Phantom Menace was a close one for me too. The thing is, I found Now THAT'S pod-racing lil Anakin kid to be more egregiously bad than Jar Jar. Kids ruin action movies as a rule. And the CGI effects in Phantom are REAL dated now, particularly the battle scene. They're even worse than the practical effects from the originals two decades earlier. But the Days of Our Lives quality of dialogue between Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen is the pivot point for me. 

At this point, I don't even know how Disney will salvage the franchise from the Last Jedi debacle. And honestly, I don't think they particularly care. They know we'll still go watch it. And the critics whom they've paid for will still proclaim it to be a masterpiece. 

Edit: The sad thing is, Space Balls would be number four on my list. 

6 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

CadN0DH.png

I was going to write something along that effect. Like you watch, they'll blame this on the fact that the lead is a white male and NOT because of the fact that Star Wars fans are so pissed off at the fact that Last Jedi was such a rancid piece of steaming Rancor shit that no one wants to spend money to watch something that has been all but advertised as being a hot mess throughout its production. 

And the sad thing is, Solo could be a good flick. I haven't watched it yet. I talked it over with mrs. the Captain who is also a big Star Wars fan and neither of us are in a raring hurry to pay money to see it. 

On 5/26/2018 at 4:27 PM, Donward said:

So Last Jedi is the absolute worst - to date - of the franchise. It's the emotional equivalent of finding out your childhood home has been taken over by drug addict hoarders, and sorting through the piss-soaked and syringe-covered mess. I liked Rogue One and it is an "Okay" film that obviously had some bad editing decisions, and a couple questionable dialogue choices. I have not re-watched Force Awakens yet, and in wake of the Last Jedi debacle, I know my view on it is now clouded. 

1) New Hope

2) Empire Strikes Back

3) Return of the Jedi

4) Rogue One

5) Force Awakens **

6) Revenge of the Sith

7) Phantom menace

8) Attack of the Clones

11) The Ewok Adventure

13)

14) Last Jedi

My favourite Star Wars movie to have come out in the recent years is called Star Trek.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Donward said:

Three weekends since the movie has been released and I still haven't seen Solo.

And by the lack of comments, I'm guessing the zero fucks even being given about it is rampant here at SH.

I generally like Star Wars, but the Solo flick will probably be a download/stream. Dunno that I feel the need to drop $ to see it.