Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Matt Easton/Nikolas Lloyd Appreciation Thread

I've had MMA guys that have taken up HEMA show up at events thinking that those skills would have some sort of relevance in I.33 based fighting. My 175lb middle aged self was able to control them quite easily. 

You do HEMA? Cool, I don't get out to that as much as I should.

One thing I have always wanted to incorporate into an RP campaign is an MMA fighter character who gets played up as being a real badass in the ring - who then gets laid out and stabbed by some random thug halfway through the game:

As this video points out, the funny thing about MMA is that it's not really "no holds barred" - well, it is in a literal sense, I think - the rules are just masked by the lack of a style. Easton makes the very valid case that the lack of running, possibility of weapons, allies, etc all create a framework for MMA to develop into its own unique style for competition that wouldn't really be a good thing to apply to the real world.

TL;DR MMA fans who think it's "the best martial art" have never been in a fight and are dumb.

From what I can tell, part of MMA's appeal is as a corrective to the even greater amounts of bullshit that got dispensed about karate and the various styles of shaolin kung fu. Lots of kids got the everloving shit kicked out of them because they believed all the dreck about how mystical technique could overcome size disparity. So MMA allowing all these martial arts to get directly compared has actually had a wonderful corrective effect.

But yeah, the golden rules of brawling still apply: size, numbers, weapons, suprise. No amount of unarmed training will save you from being jumped by three dudes with knives.

The armor is linen lined mild steel lamellar based off finds at Birka. It was typical of eastern Viking, Rus, Magyar, Avar styled armor. Under that I have a rhombus sewn  padded leather tunic. 

Oh, interesting. I think your trim fooled me into thinking it was a coat of plates without its cover.

Oh, interesting. I think your trim fooled me into thinking it was a coat of plates without its cover.

All of the plates have leather trim sewn onto the outward facing edges of the plates to keep from cutting or catching. 

Here is a better picture of some similar armor from the same guy in Poland that makes mine. 

lamelka%20skorki.jpg

I'll post a better picture of my armor and weapons when I finish cleaning them. 

There are a bunch of requirements for soldiery during that period. Everything from which weapons they are required to have, who is allowed to own what, what basic materials they are required to provide, the size and shape of the shields, and so on. I've never read anything from the period saying that a archer was required to fire x amount of arrows in a set amount of time. There are rules for the size of bow, the equipment needed by an archer, and when they should begin their training (typically a boy would be provided a bow and two arrows at the age of 7), but that is about it. 

You need a thrall or two to do that menial cleaning and polishing and use your time for drink and wenching. Hell, we got Slavs here, that's what they're good for. Now do you want the bluff, rotund comic relief like Tied? Or the sly, trickster like Ensign?

I guess this is relevant to this thread, so I figured I'd stick it here. If you want to learn more about HEMA and other forms of period fighting check out this guy.  Many of our members are trained by him. 

Roland Warzecha'  

www.dimicator.com/index.php 

https://www.youtube.com/user/warzechas/videos

I guess because I've been doing that period of living history for so long, I figured people had already run that Berserk stuff through the wringer.

The real "scary" guys are the ones with the good armor and the carrying the Dane axe.