Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
MrMartin

How to tell the difference between T-90 and T-90A

Guide "How to tell the difference between T-90 and T-90A".

These are the most visible differences between T-90 and T-90A.

I made this guide because I haven't seen any on this topic and majority of people don't even know there are these two variants (there are more) or don't know what is different between them, so I wanted to enlighten people.

This guide is not 100% true because there are some "hybrid" T-90 which incorporate parts from both models, for example T-90A chassis (body, new tracks and engine)

with T-90 cast turret = T-90K http://live.warthunder.com/post/599752/en/

I didn't incorporated export(T-90S) models because they can be distinguished very easily by the complete lack of Shtora-1 EOCMDAS or by the missing MTShU-1-7 modulator such as T-90SA for Algeria, Armenia and Azerbaijan.

I am open to any suggestion or to constructive criticism. 

I hope this will help.

pasy1.jpg

T-72_tracks.jpg

pasy%20t-90.png

5555.jpg

veza1.jpgveza%20bok.jpg

veze%20vrch%20real1.jpg

Veze%20vrch.png

Visual differences between T-90A and T-90K.

T-90K - Commander version

Cast turret (T-90) with 2 antennas + new tracks and more powerful V-92S2 engine (T-90A) = T-90K

Only two such tanks were produced. (false information)

Visually, the T-90K can be recognized by two antennas, as it has additional means of communication (the R-163-50K radioset) and navigation equipment (the TNA-4-3). 
It differs from T-90 with its new tracks and more powerful V-92S2 engine from T-90A.

It differs from T-90A with its cast turret.

T-90A.jpg

T-90K.jpg

T-90K for the first time was presented at the Moscow exhibition of arms of land forces in 2008.
And since then it disappeared from view. 

About 6 months ago this tank was spotted in Syria in hands of the Syrian Arab Army.

15 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Thanks again for an informative post.

Now, I must ask, why did the T-90K never enter production. Do platoon/company commanders just roll in regular T-90A, or is there a commander version of it called T-90KA or AK?

Thank you!

Sorry but I don't know the answers to your questions.

I wish I knew it because I am interested in it too.

There is very little available information about this tank. 

Supposedly there are some T-90AK tanks but I don't know if it's true but maybe @LoooSeR know something more about it.

EDIT : After my little research I think that the information about only 2 pieces of T-90K were produced is false.  

tabulka.jpg

tabulka%20tanky.jpg

source: http://alternathistory.com/osnovnoi-boevoi-tank-rossii-t-90?mini=calendar%2F2015-10

1. T-90

2. T-90S (no Shtora)

3. T-90K

4. T-90A

5. T-90

6. T-90K

7. T-90A

8. T-90K

9. T-90A

10. T-90S/T-90 Bhisma 

I'd like to point out that on T-90As, the smoke grenade launchers on the vehicle's right side do remain in a single fixture of 6, not 4+2 on the turret top.

1 hour ago, Scolopax said:
  Hide contents

1. T-90

2. T-90S (no Shtora)

3. T-90K

4. T-90A

5. T-90

6. T-90K

7. T-90A

8. T-90K

9. T-90A

10. T-90S/T-90 Bhisma 

I'd like to point out that on T-90As, the smoke grenade launchers on the vehicle's right side do remain in a single fixture of 6, not 4+2 on the turret top.

Spoiler

You did very good but 8th and 9th answer are not entirely correct. These two are tricky and that's why I chose them.

9. It's T-90SA because of missing MTShU-1-7 modulator from Shtora-1 system and that tank serves in Azerbaijani Armed Forces.

t90.jpg

10. Your answer is true but if you look at the picture more closely you will see second antenna right in front of gunners hatch (next to IR light).

Second antenna tells us that it's a commander tank. In this case it's T-90SK.

RIGHT ANSWERS - SPOILER ALERT 

Smoke grenade configuration on the vehicle's right side is the same on T-90, T-90K and T-90A(every T-90) so it was not a difference.

Thanks I should have mentioned that.

2 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

it is called T-90SA and Azerbaijan have those as well.

The tanks called T-90SA is Tanks from the first batch of the 2006 deal .

t90610.jpg
this is Different

t90-syst%C3%A8me-russe-500x500.jpg

2 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

I saw that Azerbaijan T-90 were called as both T-90S and T-90SA

646715_original.jpg

0_a4ae4_e85dd530_XXL

My point is there are two export various one for T-90 and the other for T90A
Algeria has both .

On 7. 7. 2017 at 8:32 PM, chihab said:

The new batch of Algerian tanks T-90 owns a welded turret and a complete Shtora-1 system .

They are called T-90SA because there isn't any other name known for it.

"...complete Shtora-1 system."

It isn't exactly true because they are missing the MTShU-1-7 modulator (boxes behind the Shtora lights).

I don't know why they don't have them and what purpose does it serve. It can't be because of the secret technology(Syrian T-90s have it). I think it could be because of the newer Shtora-1 system.

18 minutes ago, MrMartin said:

9hey are called T-90SA because there isn't any other name known for it.

It isn't exactly true because they are missing the MTShU-1-7 modulator (boxes behind the Shtora lights).

I don't know why they don't have them and what purpose does it serve. It can't be because of secret technology(Syrian T-90s have it). I think it could be because of newer Shtora-1 system.

My mistake the Algerian tank does not have a complete Shtora-1 

for the Syrian tank it is not a export version .. it is the Russian T90A  

On 7/9/2017 at 8:29 PM, MrMartin said:

They are called T-90SA because there isn't any other name known for it.

I don't know why they don't have them and what purpose does it serve. It can't be because of the secret technology(Syrian T-90s have it). I think it could be because of the newer Shtora-1 system.

We were wrong
System modules are integrated
Algerian tanks have full Shtora-1

tshu-1-7m_4.jpg

On 27. 7. 2017 at 3:14 PM, chihab said:

We were wrong
System modules are integrated
Algerian tanks have full Shtora-1

tshu-1-7m_4.jpg

Interesting, so as I thought it's because of new modernized Shtora system.

Thanks for info.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By LoooSeR
      Hello, my friends and Kharkovites, take a sit and be ready for your brains to start to work - we are going to tell you a terrible secret of how to tell apart Soviet tanks that actually works like GLORIOUS T-80 and The Mighty T-72 from Kharkovites attempt to make a tank - the T-64. Many of capitalists Westerners have hard time understanding what tank is in front of them, even when they know smart words like "Kontakt-5" ERA. Ignoramus westerners!

Because you are all were raised in several hundreds years old capitalism system all of you are blind consumer dummies, that need big noisy labels and shiny colorful things to be attached to product X to be sold to your ignorant heads and wallets, thats why we will need to start with basics. BASICS, DA? First - how to identify to which tank "family" particular MBT belongs to - to T-64 tree, or T-72 line, or Superior T-80 development project, vehicles that don't have big APPLE logo on them for you to understand what is in front of you. And how you can do it in your home without access to your local commie tank nerd? 

Easy! Use this Putin approved guide "How to tell appart different families of Soviet and Russian tanks from each other using simple and easy to spot external features in 4 steps: a guide for ignorant western journalists and chairborn generals to not suck in their in-depth discussions on the Internet".

Chapter 1: Where to look, what to see.

T-64 - The Ugly Kharkovite tank that doesn't work 

We will begin with T-64, a Kharkovite attempt to make a tank, which was so successful that Ural started to work on their replacement for T-64 known as T-72. Forget about different models of T-64, let's see what is similar between all of them.

T-72 - the Mighty weapon of Workers and Peasants to smash westerners

Unlike tank look-alike, made by Kharkovites mad mans, T-72 is true combat tank to fight with forces of evil like radical moderate barbarians and westerners. Thats why we need to learn how identify it from T-64 and you should remember it's frightening lines!

The GLORIOUS T-80 - a Weapon to Destroy and Conquer bourgeois countries and shatter westerners army

And now we are looking at the Pride of Party and Soviet army, a true tank to spearhead attacks on decadent westerners, a tank that will destroy countries by sucking their military budgets and dispersing their armies in vortex of air, left from high-speed charge by the GLORIOUS T-80!

The T-80 shooting down jets by hitting them behind the horizont 

• By RedEffect
      Greeting everyone, many of you are familiar with this very tank, and why shouldn't you be, it's a pretty good tank. Nevertheless, I am here to give a better insight into what this tank has to offer.

Where should we start, I usually like to first start off with protection, if you don't mind.

PROTECTION

Unlike T-90A tank which we've seen enough in the past decade, T-90M has new "Relikt" Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) which offers much better protection when compared to Kontakt-5 present on T-90A tanks.
      On top of having better ERA package, it is also much better covered in ERA, because those silly Shtora-1 dazzlers got removed and no longer take majority of space on the turret's front.
      As you can see, dazzlers took up a lot of space, on top of that, those ERA blocks between the gun and dazzlers could not have been made the same size as regular Kontakt-5 blocks, because of... dazzlers.
      T-90M only retained laser-warning receivers in the place of dazzlers, which gives a much better ERA coverage on the turret.
      As you can also see on the picture, the tank now has a proper gun shield  which should protect the gun mantlet against unwanted visitors (projectiles, ofc).
      The Upper Front Plate is also covered in "Relikt" ERA. 

The side of the hull is protected with panels with built-in ERA blocks. The sides can be additionally protected with 4S24 blocks mounted with bags.

The side of the turret is protected with 4S24 ERA blocks, side and rear of the engine compartment are protected with cage or "Slat" armor

On top of external protection, T-90M has some cool features to protect the crew. The insides of the tank are covered with non-flammable aramid fabric which serves to catch fragments formed by projectiles or perforated armor. The autoloader's carousel also received additional protection to protect it against additional fragments. Additional protection is also ensured by moving extra ammunition to safe ammo rack with blow-out panels placed on the rear of the turret which is additionally protected with cage armor.

FIREPOWER

The tank has 2A46M-5 125mm gun, which is the latest gun from the 2A46M series. The tank received a new feature which was not previously seen on Russian tanks, and that is Muzzle Reference Sensor (MRS) which takes the information of barrel changing its form in cold or hot weather condition and brings them to ballistic computer for more accurate shooting. The ammunition it can fire is of course the best Russia has to offer for the gun, and those are 3BM59 and 3BM60 APFSDS projectiles. There are also reports of 3VOF128 HEF projectile entering service with Russian army, which can also airburst and detonate after penetration. Other projectiles include HEAT and ATGMs.

The Fire Control System is really nice. It of course, has Sosna-U main gun sight, which has automatic tracking ability and uses 2nd generation Catherine FC Thermal Imaging System. The commander has much better time since unlike previous Russian tanks he now has his own Thermal Viewer  connected to the 12.7mm Kord HMG (unlike T-90MS (SM) domestic variant has 12.7mm). CITV incorporates Catherine XP Thermal Imaging System which is 3rd generation TIS, which is better than what most modern tanks have. In addition, both gunner and commander can access back-up sight located next to the Sosna-U sight. Commander has access to new multifunction display which on top of other things, show location of the tank. The tank has YeSU-TZ Battle Management System which allows communication with all units on the present battlefield, making warfare much easier. Another small, but important improvement is the commanders cupola, unlike older T-90A, commander now has full 360deg view with larger vision blocks all around the cupola. In addition, the hatch can be rotated for different purposes and there are 4 cameras for additional 360deg view.

MOBILITY

The tank weights 48t and it is powered with new V-92S2F 1130hp diesel engine, with 2000rpm and maximum torque of 4521Nm (pretty neat). In addition to such a good engine, the tank received automatic transmission APP-172  which is VERY NICE. On top of that, the tank received an APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) which reduces the fuel consumption when the tank is idle by powering the electrical systems.

That is it for this post, if I find more information I will add it in, and if I made a mistake I will also correct it.
    • By eggs benedict
      hello everyone!
      so i read that the T-90 shares the T-72B turret , thus BDD armor , however this documentary (?) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKGv5JQBTI8 says "aluminums and plastics".
      is this any legit? did they like , keep the t72b cavity design and change the fill?

also , did the combination on new welded towers change?
    • By Sturgeon
      I'll start off with a couple Pathe videos: