Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Nope, what did he drag out?

I usually recognized folks by their ordinance.

Meplats guide to identifying people by their ordnance.

Nick - Some new age faggy plasitc railroad gun.

Josh - Some new age faggy plastic railroad gun.

Bernard - MP-34 9x23mm Steyr chambered.

Paul - Some new aged faggy plastic railroad gun

Meplat - M3 37mm, Ideal for drilling old concrete walls.

Brian - I don't know, but probably Some new age faggy plastic railroad gun.

"not enough heavy machine guns"... "Counterattacked with heavy machine guns"... Why do I smell someone who doesn't have a fucking clue what they're talking about?

They were swiftly counter attacked by men infused with mighty strength from chewing Khat leaves rushing right into combat with their near 80 lb M2HB machine guns firing from the hip with deadly terrifying suppressing precision with zero response of their own!

They were swiftly counter attacked by men infused with mighty strength from chewing Khat leaves rushing right into combat with their near 80 lb M2HB machine guns firing from the hip with deadly terrifying suppressing precision with zero response of their own!

We can't allow a Khat gap!

Soldiers, get chewing that shit.

What did they expect? It is a giant milled block of steel, with a smaller reciprocating block of milled steel, with a barrel and huge chunks of walnut screwed on.

Don't get me wrong, I love Thompsons, but I also love driving around Ford Model Ts. I would not take a Thompson hunting, and I would not drive the Model T to work.

What I love best about this particular fandom is the implied feeling they have that BECAUSE the Thomson was so heavy, that means it was somehow better than other SMGs of the period - you know, to balance it out!

Everything from the praises of .45 Man-Killin' ACP to the "better build quality" of the Thompson (undoubtedly true for an M1928 vs an M3, but who cares in the context of a weapon for war?).

Were the 30-round mags for the M1A1 as much of a problem as people make them out to be?

"No one liked 30 round magazines because 20 were more reliable/no one ever loads full 30/20/X amount of rounds but 2-4 less!" seems to be a reoccuring myth with quite a few firearms and their feed systems.

Example, I think it was D.E. Watters (or was it?) who pointed out that the same myth with the original 20 round magazines for the M16 and that they weren't loaded to 18 rounds because they were unreliable at 20, but rather because some soldiers were dumb and/or bad at counting and would try to load them well past their listed capacity of 20 and just try to shoehorn as many as they could inside instead.

"No one liked 30 round magazines because 20 were more reliable/no one ever loads full 30/20/X amount of rounds but 2-4 less!" seems to be a reoccuring myth with quite a few firearms and their feed systems.

Example, I think it was D.E. Watters (or was it?) who pointed out that the same myth with the original 20 round magazines for the M16 and that they weren't loaded to 18 rounds because they were unreliable at 20, but rather because some soldiers were dumb and/or bad at counting and would try to load them well past their listed capacity of 20 and just try to shoehorn as many as they could inside instead.

Yes, I've said that quite often. 

You'd think that the magazine overstuffing issue would have gone away once ammunition began to be shipped on chargers, but I still see examples of troops who seemingly don't know how to use the chargers.

As someone who's never used an original 20 round GI magazine for an M16, how the fuck do you even do that?

I can barely load to intended max capacity in most newer magazines without getting sore thumbs, mainly when they're fresh out of the packaging and need to be broken in.

Were the springs flimsier then modern examples or something?

I've never seen a good explanation for it.  I suspect it was an issue with tolerances stacking between the tube, the follower, and the spring.  And never underestimate the ability for a determined squaddie to mash things that weren't thought capable of being mashed.  Supposedly, some troops were even found to have loaded 22 rounds in a 20rd mag.  

Back in January, Small Arms Review posted a few of the reports sent in by the Project Manager Rifle's teams in South Vietnam.  One is LTC Underwood's report from late 1966, and another is from 1967 when rifles were being refitted in theatre.  In the latter, it noted that some soldiers didn't want to exchange their Edgewater spring buffers for the heavier Sturtevant buffer.  The soldiers in question preferred the higher cyclic rate over the increase in reliability and durability.

So Alex, what makes the UMP 45 so bad?  Lack of recoil mitigation?

Horrendous recoil impulse, crude sights, low capacity (step back from the damn Thompson), awful trigger, mags that have no bevel or shape to indicate which way goes forward, dumb sight adjustment procedure, horrible on full auto.

As a positive though, you can change calibers by tapping out one pin.

Horrendous recoil impulse, crude sights, low capacity (step back from the damn Thompson), awful trigger, mags that have no bevel or shape to indicate which way goes forward, dumb sight adjustment procedure, horrible on full auto.

As a positive though, you can change calibers by tapping out one pin.

You forgot the stock and grip that you can probably break off by looking at them wrong.

the UMP-45 actually is one of the guns I've used the real deal full auto variant of, and I honestly don't get who would actually buy this over an MP5 if you had to have an H&K gun even with the lower price.

It also feels like it has a slow rate of fire for an SMG but, maybe it was supposed to be that way.

It is very slow (in the zone where it is too slow and too clunky to hold very well on target, but not grease gun slow... hard to explain).

The stock and grip have never bothered me, but the fuck huge magazines make any kind of prone or shooting from a rest impossible. I know you normally wouldn't do this with an SMG, but I'm still going to bitch about it.

Also on the plus side, they cost half as much as an MP5.

what should i try this on ? 

Try the rubber band stoppage trick on the Smith and Wesson Model 19 vs Kimber K6.

*Laughs maniacally*

Also, I guess the tactical guys need gloves so thick that they can't even manipulate basic controls. I mean seriously people.

Try the rubber band stoppage trick on the Smith and Wesson Model 19 vs Kimber K6.

*Laughs maniacally*

Also, I guess the tactical guys need gloves so thick that they can't even manipulate basic controls. I mean seriously people.

*Wraps them all around the cylinder*

Ok.

I don't get why people think the gas piston on the MP.44 looks like an AK's:

EDIT: LOL, it malfed on them. Dat German reliabilitah!

It may be beating a dead horse to say this, but when folks like Hickock's son Jon get to hold/shoot an MP.44 and say things like they're "honored" to get to shoot it... I kinda tilt my head to the side and think "huh?"

OK, maybe he's just being respectful to the guy who owns it, fair enough, but I know that some of the people like that truly have this special connection to the MP.44 that I just don't get. I felt that way when Alex let me shoot his Pedersen, but that was because in some ways we were making history in doing so; that was probably the first time a Pedersen rifle had been shot in years, if not decades, and certainly was the first time one was shot on video. In contrast, you can go to a machine gun shoot as just any ol' yokel and pay fifty bucks and put a mag through an MP.44, like I did the first time I got to shoot one.

Would that make somebody feel "honored"? I dunno, maybe, but I sure don't get it.

EDIT 2 Electric Boogaloo: A lot of people (Alex included; hey Alex!) talk up the MP.44's controllability on full auto. It does perform better than some 7.62x39 AKs, but I wouldn't characterize it as being particularly special, either. It's certainly not a kitten like an MP.40, for instance.

This was brought up by Tied in between one of his bouts of drunken melancholy and I wished it was discussed further how the East Germans had crap-tons of surplus Stg44s after the war and while they used them for a bit, they eventually decided to retrograde and use bolt-action Mosin-Nagants and PPSH-41 submachine guns as their primary small arms before finally switching over to AKs. And didn't the Czechs also have Sturmgewehrs? They basically said "fuck this shit" too and went on to build Vz.58s while they were waiting in line for the AK gravy train.

This was brought up by Tied in between one of his bouts of drunken melancholy and I wished it was discussed further how the East Germans had crap-tons of surplus Stg44s after the war and while they used them for a bit, they eventually decided to retrograde and use bolt-action Mosin-Nagants and PPSH-41 submachine guns as their primary small arms before finally switching over to AKs. And didn't the Czechs also have Sturmgewehrs? They basically said "fuck this shit" too and went on to build Vz.58s while they were waiting in line for the AK gravy train.

Yeah, one notes that by 1961 in the Berlin Crisis, you see DDR guards using PPSh-41s, Mosins, SKSes, Kar98ks, and a sprinkling of AKs, but not a single StG-44 so far as I can remember.

They are not very good weapons...