Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

I will just note my memory has been atrocious all week, I've been forgetting everything from our conversations about CTA ammo to the concert I've got next week...

Awwwwwww.  I was hoping you had shiny new information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=259&v=DCzo1z4EcLg

Nathaniel/Alex C/Colli Thoughts on this?

I'm a little surprised that this works, but given that suppressors are essentially designed by trial and error, I guess in principle there are wildly different things that could work than haven't been thought of yet.

I corrected him:

Hello Sootch, this is Nathaniel F of The Firearm Blog. I have a minor correction to make on your video; you say that Ed Browning was the chief designer of the M1 Carbine; that is not true. In fact, by the time Ordnance solicited Winchester and other companies to begin developing a "Light Rifle" (not to be confused with the Lightweight Rifle project that later led to the M14 and FAL), in June of 1940, Ed Browning had already died (in 1939).

The weapon that became the M1 Carbine was not Williams' rifle, either. Williams was known by Winchester CEO Edwin Pugsley to be a man who wouldn't work on a schedule, as he was a perfectionist (and also a psychopath). The team that developed Winchester's carbine submission was actually headed by William C. Roemer and Fred Humeston, although Williams did help troubleshoot the design before tests, and contributed directly towards the Winchester carbine's adoption.

Williams had his own line of rifle designs, which began with his G30M, which was a modification of Ed Browning's design. However, it's little-known that Ed Browning's rifle (which under Winchester was designated G30, and which was found very unsatisfactory) was an annular-piston, pivoting-breechblock design, where the G30M redesigned by Marshall after Browning's death used the same locking system, but mating that to the tappet gas system he invented. The G30M was not satisfactory, and Williams was tasked with fixing it. Instead, he designed a totally new rifle from the ground up, which became the G30R, and led to the Winchester Automatic Rifle, the Williams Carbine (finally completed in 1945), and the Williams .50 caliber semiautomatic rifle, as well as the post-war Winchester Lightweight Military Rifle (LMR). All these weapons used a rotary bolt similar to the M1 Carbine, coupled with Williams tappet gas system, and have virtually nothing in common with Ed Browning's rifle.

Here are some articles I wrote on related topics:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/06/two-challengers-to-the-m1-garand-light-rifle-part-ii/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/09/30/short-history-tappet-operation-part-ii-early-history-tappet-designs/

Hope that helps!

Actually, I lied here, the Williams Carbine was completed in late '41, not 1945.

In honor of Nathaniel F., I decided to field strip his second favorite firearm.

Awww,you remembered that my favorite is the M14! Hahahah.

Seriously, the MP.44 is far from my least favorite firearm. Aside from the scars I bear from The Great Sturmgewehrening of 2015, I have no strong feelings about it. :)