Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

I had a list of 30+ actual sources on Wikipedia for the Type-98/99 alone that all got removed by one alt account using shitstain to back himself up whos using Ausairpower as his sole source because that's clearly more reliable then works from the actual design team of the project. Wikipedia admins sided with him and clearly I was a vandal despite him doing this to multiple pages with dubious as fuck sources and they were happy to undo years of actual content because of fucking Ausairpower.

Don't even bother trying to change anything on Wikipedia, it's a massive waste of fucking time.

LOL this suggests the 6.5 Grendel is poorly optimized:

DYUYjq9.png

HpOhtiK.png

KhandE: Prepare to have your mind blown

KhandE: the Wilkes land crater was made by big rock

KhandE: it is 3 times larger then Chicxulub, which was caused by small rock

KhandE: wilkes land crater lead to the biggest extinction event in known history, Chicxulub was smaller

KhandE: therefore, big rock > small rock.

KhandE: 6.5mm Grendel > 5.56mm NATO

KhandE: QED

AR-180 should weigh exactly the same as an AR-18, minus the auto sear. AR-180B should be substantially lighter, but it's also a piece of shit. Well, more of a piece of shit than the AR-180.

I weighed Alex's AR-180 as part of my Weight Omnibus. It is a normal Costa Mesa AR-180 with no modifications. Suffice it to say the "6.7 lbs unloaded" listed by Wikipedia is a total lie. I want to know where that comes from.

The 1965 Gun Digest noted the weight of the earliest AR-18 prototypes as 6.3 lbs.  The article in question was written after the January 1964 public demonstration for the gun press and military.  SAR has mid/late 1960s ArmaLite flyers listing the weight at 3.04 kg or ~6.7 lbs.  When the US Army tested the AR-18 in late 1969, their sample weighed 7.37 lbs without the magazine or sling.  The report noted a long list of changes in the new AR-18 samples from the samples previously submitted during the 1965 SAWS trials.  For example, the barrel extension was larger, the furniture had been changed from polycarbonate to glass-filled nylon, and the walls of the furniture were also thicker.

The 1965 Gun Digest noted the weight of the earliest AR-18 prototypes as 6.3 lbs.  The article in question was written after the January 1964 public demonstration for the gun press and military.  SAR has mid/late 1960s ArmaLite flyers listing the weight at 3.04 kg or ~6.7 lbs.  When the US Army tested the AR-18 in late 1969, their sample weighed 7.37 lbs without the magazine or sling.  The report noted a long list of changes in the new AR-18 samples from the samples previously submitted during the 1965 SAWS trials.  For example, the barrel extension was larger, the furniture had been changed from polycarbonate to glass-filled nylon, and the walls of the furniture were also thicker.

I knew it would be Daniel Watters with the save!

In other words, a terrible firearm.

Probably still better than the Magal. (which, IIRC, was a M1 Carbine that blimped out to 8lbs after hurting it's back, and had polymer furniture that supposedly melted from repeated firing)

Probably a mix of the rarity effect, and from being under 7 pounds unloaded in the '60s, maybe.

And also the sheet metal construction.