Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

This shines a little light onto what the gun debate is really about - guns that feel 'nice' versus guns that feel 'military'. Similar to how pundits and activists can attribute all sorts of deadly capabilities to a standard black semiautomatic rifle, but something wood stocked with the same capabilities is A-OK.

Interestingly, he identifies that handguns don't really get marked as "evil" or "nice", which actually jives with the anti-gun agenda. Here in the US, it's always about banning "assault weapons", hardly ever something like a Glock. Sometimes incidentally Glocks and other semiautomatics suffer from magazine restrictions, but those are clearly intended to regulate rifles.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/images/stories/Network_2012-10.pdf'>This shines a little light onto what the gun debate is really about - guns that feel 'nice' versus guns that feel 'military'. Similar to how pundits and activists can attribute all sorts of deadly capabilities to a standard black semiautomatic rifle, but something wood stocked with the same capabilities is A-OK.

Interestingly, he identifies that handguns don't really get marked as "evil" or "nice", which actually jives with the anti-gun agenda. Here in the US, it's always about banning "assault weapons", hardly ever something like a Glock. Sometimes incidentally Glocks and other semiautomatics suffer from magazine restrictions, but those are clearly intended to regulate rifles.

No. Handguns have also historically been in the crosshairs of gun grabbers. And we have waiting periods to purchase handguns which can last multiple days.

The article had some interesting conclusions.

A subject interviewed was talking about a gun owner's willingness to use force and in what scenarios and countering the perception that more armed people will mean blood on the streets.

As someone who always carries, I find myself less willing to go to places where I might be forced to shoot someone. Rather than strutting down the street in the ghetto and not letting any uppity gangbanger give me lip.

And I think this sort of psychological response isn't often addressed in the gun debate.

As an analogy, I know big, strong guys who are calm and reserved who don't get into fights or confrontations because they know they can kill or maim a man with one punch.

Oh my God! I think I know his next victim!!!

There needs to be a television show where the protagonists have a way to predict murders that are about to happen.

But then don't do shit about it because they don't care, are too high/drunk, or they think the guy has it coming or can't be arsed because they're too busy posting on a forum with other history nerds and tanks/airplanes/warships/firearms enthusiasts.

I never like that show dexter

Too edgy and prentious for me. His monologues where cringe worthy. The show takes the idea of killing so lightly but does the act all too serious like. Its the opposite of what it should be

A death itself is a tragedy. Your destroying a world that will neve be replicated again. But killing itself is pretty easy to do and if the guy you killed was greasy enough or it was for the state its not something i usually feel bad about anymorw

I've meant to write about this before and maybe I will again. But I hate the use of the term "warrior". I hate the use of the term warrior to describe Army soldiers and Marines and other combat branches. It reeks of elitest humbuggery, velcro and chaw.

I'm not sure when the term came into vogue but I'm certain some writer decided to be too smart by reading Ancient Greek texts and thought that affiliating oneself with the Spartans was really cool.

America has had over two hundred years of citizens who are also soldiers and who - after serving - transition back to becoming average Joe Blow civilians. That's the whole point. You look at every World War 2 movie ever made and it centers around some schlub who was driving taxi or teaching high school who just wants to get back home to the wife and kids and to forget about fighting in the war forever.

And that's pretty much how the Founding Father's envisioned it (not that they were always right mind you).

Fuck i hate it to

Warrior sounds so medieval so brutal. Soldier really does the act enough justice

I guess we share some blame for it. Fucking vdv meatheads think they are gods gift to warfare. I didnt mimd the bragging when they did cool shit like jump out of airplanes and do very large maneuvers

But now they just juice up and do motor rifle tier shit. And dont get me started on fucking flood day

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/19/fn-fal-field-strip/

"The FN FAL is perhaps the most famous battle rifle of all time, and served with distinction all around the world during the 20th century."

HAH! You just triggered Sturgeon's Autism card!

In a not too distant future...

Mmmmm. Mithter Alex C. Is that a BATTLE RIFLE? Yeah. We're engaged in a skirmish here which is part of a small scale insurrection. 

I'm going to have to axe you to leave that weapon over there before you can participate.

M'kay? 

Thanks!

Oh, and you're not going ANYWHERE wearing a dress shirt under a sweater with those khakis.