Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

A big case of "what the fuck it this shit? It's all... different."

I dunno, likely not. The Soviet Union cottoned pretty quickly to a lot of other weird crap, like tanks.

Possibly a political kill, or funding ran out, or something. Or maybe it had no doctrinal niche, or was too expensive.

Regardless, I feel like denying it as a technical achievement (and equivocating it with such stinkers as the Scotti Model X and Farquhar-Hill) is pretty awkwardly driven by a narrative where German supermen invent/perfect everything. That sort of thing definitely drives Karl, and it seems to bleed over to Ian, too.

I find both of these to be very likely.

I agree (many selfloader projects died due to lack of funding during that period), but there's a good chance that other factors were at play as well.

Having said that, I don't really think it was the design's fault that killed the Fedorov, notwithstanding that just about any selfloader at that time would have been significantly more expensive to make in large numbers than a competing bolt-action. The Avtomats that were made saw use in both the Winter War and the GPW, so they clearly worked well enough that they were seen as useful items, despite using a nonstandard caliber. Add to that all the other aspects I was fawning over earlier, and you've got a pretty compelling case to be made that the Fedorov was a real "gun that could have been".

Ok, question for the US folks.  Legal full auto firearms, while not quite extinct as a species in Canada are so vanishingly rare as to be well past endangered.  Real encounters are rare and hard to document.

So what is the absolute minimum price for a firearm that is a ATF classified machine gun in the US? Cheapest price for a legal giggle switch?

You are looking at about 5-6k for your low end machineguns (MACs, Stens, Reisings, MK760s, Ingram M6).

This man is THE guy when it comes to machineguns. His prices are high, but he sells them for full retail all the time:

http://dealernfa.com/product-category/machine-guns/

If you see "pre sample" or "post sample" in the title, disregard that item.

I believe Tim got a few things wrong in his timeline.  The original Daewoo K1A and K2 were caught by the GHW Bush import ban of 1989.  This led to creation of the thumbhole stock models that were ultimately killed during the Clinton administration's tightening of the "Sporting Purposes" characteristics for importation.

The South Korean and Singaporean governments each went to domestic designs in part due to the fact that they were not able to export their license-produced M16 rifles without the permission of Colt and the US State Department.  And it didn't help that the US government caught each of them trying to dodge this requirement on multiple occasions.  You'll note that Jim Sullivan moved to Singapore during the time that he designed the Ultimax 100 in an attempt to evade the State Department's weapon export restrictions.  This gambit would no longer be legal.

Ok, question for the US folks.  Legal full auto firearms, while not quite extinct as a species in Canada are so vanishingly rare as to be well past endangered.  Real encounters are rare and hard to document.

So what is the absolute minimum price for a firearm that is a ATF classified machine gun in the US? Cheapest price for a legal giggle switch?

You are looking at about 5-6k for your low end machineguns (MACs, Stens, Reisings, MK760s, Ingram M6).

This man is THE guy when it comes to machineguns. His prices are high, but he sells them for full retail all the time:

http://dealernfa.com/product-category/machine-guns/

If you see "pre sample" or "post sample" in the title, disregard that item.

I thought auto sears for FNCs were pretty cheap too?

I thought auto sears for FNCs were pretty cheap too?

They were cheap until about 2014 when the rumor of "more sears than guns" turned out to ge unsubstantiated. I bought 2 for 3k each back in the day and three FNCs for 3k each. Converted two and sold one last year for 10k. Now converted FNCs go for 12k+ and I havent seen a sear for sale in a while. Last I saw sold for 7k.

I wrote an article once about how you could buy a sear and an FNC for 3k and have a 6k machinegun in 5.56, then time passed, values went up, and when I went to sell I had people sending me my old artice as a sort of "SEE, THIS GUY SAYS YOURE OVERPRICED!".

When I said I wrote the article people got mad and walked.

I hate making those videos.

I want a Top Five Scout Rifles video next.

We need more Top Five/Five Worst Arbitrary Definition videos!!!

Edit: Although for the Scout Rifle, it would probably be Five Worst since the Scout Rifle concept was always pretty retarded and arbitrary.

Cross-section of the Mars pistol:

mars-pistol-diagram-2.jpg

The performance figures for the Mars cartridges are hilarious.  Ian Hogg mentions one contemporary who described the Mars as less of a pistol and more of a "young cannon."

I've heard Meplat describe it as "his trusty pocket Hiroshima.", right before pulling it out and using it to pink mist the skull of a copper wire thief through the the workshop wall with it.

Nagao points out in one of his videos for TGW that most officers in WWI were not "gear" people, and the majority had never served in the ranks. Even if they had, it would have been with the Gras, probably not the Lebel. He describes them as thinking of the weapons just as "rifles", nothing more. So the difference between a G98 and a Lebel would have been lost on them. This explains an awful lot of the folly of the times, BTW.

American attitudes during this period were already light-years ahead of their European counterparts, I think. One of the perks of an egalitarian society, I guess.