Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Why didn't the US adopt the .280? They physically couldn't afford to.

Logistics, when dealing with an army the size of the U.S, is absurdly complex and expensive.

There are granite solid reasons why the Russians are still using the 7,62X54, and the U.S. using the 12,7X99 and 7,62X51.

Logistics, when dealing with an army the size of the U.S, is absurdly complex and expensive.

There are granite solid reasons why the Russians are still using the 7,62X54, and the U.S. using the 12,7X99 and 7,62X51.

I can see why people complain about 7.62x51mm (at least in the GERPERSHERR sense), but what reason would there be to replace the .50 BMG round? and in what roles?

Also if you hypothetically were absolute dictator of the MoD, what would you change said cartridge with, if anything?

I can see why people complain about 7.62x51mm (at least in the GERPERSHERR sense), but what reason would there be to replace the .50 BMG round? and in what roles?

Also if you hypothetically were absolute dictator of the MoD, what would you change said cartridge with, if anything?

HE payload, fusing, ets. There were loads of works toward replacing the .50 BMG, post 1930's, including the 17mm Vega, and others.

HE payload, fusing, ets. There were loads of works toward replacing the .50 BMG, post 1930's, including the 17mm Vega, and others.

This would be for MGs only or thinks like AMR and long range precision rifles too? because that sounds brutal as fuck recoil and weight wise for an infantry weapon.

Granted I've never actually heard of the 17mm Vega and I can't find anything on it, how large is it exactly case wise?

This would be for MGs only or thinks like AMR and long range precision rifles too? because that sounds brutal as fuck recoil and weight wise for an infantry weapon.

Granted I've never actually heard of the 17mm Vega and I can't find anything on it, how large is it exactly case wise?

I've never heard of a 17mm Vega, but I have heard of a 16x99mm Vega.  The way I had heard it it was based on 12.7x99mm BMG, but with a rebated rim.  It was intended for some sort of aircraft gun that nobody knows anything about (although judging by the rebated rim, probably some sort of API blowback gun).

I've never heard of a 17mm Vega, but I have heard of a 16x99mm Vega.  The way I had heard it it was based on 12.7x99mm BMG, but with a rebated rim.  It was intended for some sort of aircraft gun that nobody knows anything about (although judging by the rebated rim, probably some sort of API blowback gun).

This are supposedly the patents for the 16mm Vega.  (Note the patent attorney.)

https://www.google.com/patents/US2466577

https://www.google.com/patents/US2466578

Yes and no, since there were "AMR" efforts made preWW2 involving the Browning MG.

The only Vega I've had experience with is my dad's old Blue 1974 Vega.

They were an odd car.

My info comes from a 1950's article where the rather nice lithograph showed "17mm Vega", and IIRC it was a rebate rim.

IIRC it had far more taper than the .50 and was a much larger case, so the 15mm may have been one of a number of "vegas".