Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

An excellent analysis of exactly what NOT to do in that situation.

Instead of sitting around in the dark for five minutes "listening", the proper response is to get up, grab your gun, turn on a fucking light because that's what electricity is for and announce that you are the home owner, you have a gun and that there better not be any motherfucker in the house.

This has the helpful response of alerting anyone in the house of your presence that way they can either skeddadle (be they home burglar or sneaky teenager) or if an individual is there by mistake say - a victim of a car accident is trying to get help or the special ed kid in the neighborhood has somehow wandered into your house or - say - the police have accidentally done a no-knock search warrant of your home. 

By turning on the lights you can actually see what is in the house instead of sitting around in the dark and imagining that you are being attacked by assassins from the Triad.

All of this is useful since you are the legal resident of the house. Why tactitards insist on creeping around in the dark on padded feet in their own home is beyond me.

An excellent analysis of exactly what NOT to do in that situation.

Instead of sitting around in the dark for five minutes "listening", the proper response is to get up, grab your gun, turn on a fucking light because that's what electricity is for and announce that you are the home owner, you have a gun and that there better not be any motherfucker in the house.

This has the helpful response of alerting anyone in the house of your presence that way they can either skeddadle (be they home burglar or sneaky teenager) or if an individual is there by mistake say - a victim of a car accident is trying to get help or the special ed kid in the neighborhood has somehow wandered into your house or - say - the police have accidentally done a no-knock search warrant of your home. 

By turning on the lights you can actually see what is in the house instead of sitting around in the dark and imagining that you are being attacked by assassins from the Triad.

All of this is useful since you are the legal resident of the house. Why tactitards insist on creeping around in the dark on padded feet in their own home is beyond me.

Calling Hognose a "tactitard" is interesting...

I think his actions are appropriate in some situations and normal given his background. They aren't what I do when that happens to me, but his reflection on it is still very interesting. Keep in mind that he was responding to a "maybe" not a definite intruder. What's the point of hollering at 1:00 AM when you don't even know if there's anyone in the house?

Calling Hognose a "tactitard" is interesting...

I think his actions are appropriate in some situations and normal given his background. They aren't what I do when that happens to me, but his reflection on it is still very interesting. Keep in mind that he was responding to a "maybe" not a definite intruder. What's the point of hollering at 1:00 AM when you don't even know if there's anyone in the house?

That's why there is this thing called a light switch and why most houses have lighting.

You're going to be sitting in your bedroom "listening" when there is the possibility of someone or something you don't know wandering in your house? Many people have kids sleeping in the other room. Five minutes is an eternity in that situation.

Having more than my share of "bump in the night" situations given my occupation, it is always better to get up, suss out the situation immediately and scare off - in my case - the bear before it trashes your shit.

That's why there is this thing called a light switch and why most houses have lighting.

You're going to be sitting in your bedroom "listening" when there is the possibility of someone or something you don't know wandering in your house? Many people have kids sleeping in the other room. Five minutes is an eternity in that situation.

Having more than my share of "bump in the night" situations given my occupation, it is always better to get up, suss out the situation immediately and scare off - in my case - the bear before it trashes your shit.

Firstly, I don't think Hognose has children living with him. Secondly, what's wrong with listening? God gave you ears, didn't he? The dog's barking, maybe take a minute to listen to see what it might be, rather than flipping on all the lights in the house and potentially exposing yourself to a ne'erdowell. You can get a lot of information by just listening, and if there is someone in the house, they can't tell that you're listening for them, which gives you an advantage if it does come to a confrontation. Most people do not have a big master switch in their bedroom that turns all the lights in the house on at once, and it's potentially dangerous to go through a house by yourself flicking lights on one by one if you think there are bad guys in it.

So in that situation, what's the harm in taking a few minutes to listen? It ain't cowboy enough for you?

Firstly, I don't think Hognose has children living with him. Secondly, what's wrong with listening? God gave you ears, didn't he? The dog's barking, maybe take a minute to listen to see what it might be, rather than flipping on all the lights in the house and potentially exposing yourself to a ne'erdowell. You can get a lot of information by just listening, and if there is someone in the house, they can't tell that you're listening for them, which gives you an advantage if it does come to a confrontation. Most people do not have a big master switch in their bedroom that turns all the lights in the house on at once, and it's potentially dangerous to go through a house by yourself flicking lights on one by one if you think there are bad guys in it.

So in that situation, what's the harm in taking a few minutes to listen? It ain't cowboy enough for you?

Because it's the wrong thing to do?

Because this is part of a larger narrative where somehow it is now tactical for gun owners to go creeping around their own home in the dark because "You know the layout and the intruders don't and therefore you can get the jump on them". When, no, turn a light. Make your presence known. And these guys "train" to clear their homes in the dark because somehow they're the target of Muslim Zombie Ninjas Assassins. 

When, no, the odds in most suburban situations is that whatever goes bump in the night is completely innocuous and - furthermore - creeping around in the dark makes you more likely to be injured or to accidentally injure or kill someone innocent. Again, the neighbor kid is in your house for some reason. Your next door neighbor had a few too many and got in. There was a horrible car accident and someone is looking for a phone to call 911. Whatever. These are all more likely a scenario than one where you get to kill a man which only happens - by a civilian - about 1,000 times a year. 

And even if it is a criminal, you turning on lights will scare him off because he is usually more afraid of you than you are of him. And you will most certainly be better armed the average meth maggot looking to grab a TV. And if there are more than one of them, turning on a light allows you to see both rather than going tunnel vision in the dark on one individual. 

Most people's homes are 1200 to 2400 square feet. Turning on a couple lights illuminates a lot. And it illuminates a lot more than any tactical flashlight or creeping around in the dark.

I'm with Don on this one, and, I bet a DA looking to make a name for himself, wouldn't be past trying to convict you, for hunting down and murdering some innocent crook in your home(remember I'm in Cali). Right now if you shoot the poor crook in the back, he may have not been a imminent threat and you could be in trouble. 

Because it's the wrong thing to do?

Because this is part of a larger narrative where somehow it is now tactical for gun owners to go creeping around their own home in the dark because "You know the layout and the intruders don't and therefore you can get the jump on them". When, no, turn a light. Make your presence known. And these guys "train" to clear their homes in the dark because somehow they're the target of Muslim Zombie Ninjas Assassins.

When, no, the odds in most suburban situations is that whatever goes bump in the night is completely innocuous and - furthermore - creeping around in the dark makes you more likely to be injured or to accidentally injure or kill someone innocent. Again, the neighbor kid is in your house for some reason. Your next door neighbor had a few too many and got in. There was a horrible car accident and someone is looking for a phone to call 911. Whatever. These are all more likely a scenario than one where you get to kill a man which only happens - by a civilian - about 1,000 times a year.

And even if it is a criminal, you turning on lights will scare him off because he is usually more afraid of you than you are of him. And you will most certainly be better armed the average meth maggot looking to grab a TV. And if there are more than one of them, turning on a light allows you to see both rather than going tunnel vision in the dark on one individual.

Most people's homes are 1200 to 2400 square feet. Turning on a couple lights illuminates a lot. And it illuminates a lot more than any tactical flashlight or creeping around in the dark.

I'm sorry, did the four digit 24 hour time format trigger you or something, Don? Where did Hognose say he went all mall ninja tard and cleared his house slicing the pie all the way?

Here's what he says actually happened:

1. Bump in the night, dog starta barking.

2. Grabs gun, sets watch timer for five minutes, sits there at the top of the stairs.

3. After five minutes, decides there's nobody in the house, goes down to see what's up and assess the situation.

That's it. No mall ninjery, no tactical room clearing techniques, we've got a guy sitting at the top of the stairs with a gun which is the safest, best place to be if there's an intruder downstairs.

So what's there to bitch about? That he did it in the dark? That he (being retired military) tells time on a 24-hr cycle? That he likes plastic DA/SA handguns?

Dude. You're the one that linked to the article. Did you not want us to respond? I found some serious flaws in it. If Hognose wants to cower in place for five minutes in the dark, that's on him. I find this problematic. Particularly when there are rational countermeasures like what I listed.

Just like, in the very same article, he advocates sleeping with a gun under the pillow for "stealth reasons". Because he's freaking the Outlaw Josie Wells or John Dillinger. I can't emphasize what a stupid idea sleeping with a loaded gun under your pillow is, if only for the fact that it makes for a shitty night's sleep.

And who keeps "burglar bait" around the house? Does he have a hilariously giant mousetrap in which he keeps the burglar bait on?

Dude. You're the one that linked to the article. Did you not want us to respond? I found some serious flaws in it. If Hognose wants to cower in place for five minutes in the dark, that's on him. I find this problematic. Particularly when there are rational countermeasures like what I listed.

Just like, in the very same article, he advocates sleeping with a gun under the pillow for "stealth reasons". Because he's freaking the Outlaw Josie Wells or John Dillinger. I can't emphasize what a stupid idea sleeping with a loaded gun under your pillow is, if only for the fact that it makes for a shitty night's sleep.

And who keeps "burglar bait" around the house? Does he have a hilariously giant mousetrap in which he keeps the burglar bait on?

"Problematic"? That's some tumblr language, that is.

I don't mind you criticizing his approach, but I'm also not gonna pretend you didn't squeal about "kids these days and their tacticool ways".

I wouldn't sleep with a gun under my pillow these days, but I also am not a former SF guy like Hognose. Old habits die hard, I reckon. I know a guy of similar background who always backs into parking spaces, too.

As for burglar bait, that's a downright smart idea. Fun fact, Friday our house got burgled. Creep ran off, later we found my landlord's ex-wife's jewelry box dropped in the yard. My gun stash was untouched. Most professional security types reccommend decoys of one kind or another.

Really? I'm sorry that you find the word "problematic" to be problematic but since I've literally never have visited Tumblr. Once. Ever. I have zero idea what that even means.

As for tacticool. I'm sorry for assuming ex-Special Forces Hognose is tacticool. What a completely egregious and incomprehensible assumption on my part.