Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Also in other news, I said for a while I'm selling my POF-415 as, while It's a nice rifle, I want a DI AR-15 if I own one. I sort of bought it back when SSP operation was predicted to be the next big thing, after years of research to change my opinion, I just realize that DI is just as good, if not better in some cases.

Anyway, Burnt Bronze color with 16.5" barrel, Cerakote finish, comes with matching .308 upper with 18.5" barrel, the lower in total probably has around 6,000 rounds into it, 4,000 through the 5.56mm upper and around 2,000 through the .308

Posting it here so members get first shot, willing to cut some losses on it mainly considering the usage (It's in excellent shape, but obviously some wear is going to be visible), will buy new parts for all operating surfaces before selling.

1-2 weeks then I'm going local.

Also in other news, I said for a while I'm selling my POF-415 as, while It's a nice rifle, I want a DI AR-15 if I own one. I sort of bought it back when SSP operation was predicted to be the next big thing, after years of research to change my opinion, I just realize that DI is just as good, if not better in some cases.

Anyway, Burnt Bronze color with 16.5" barrel, Cerakote finish, comes with matching .308 upper with 18.5" barrel, the lower in total probably has around 6,000 rounds into it, 4,000 through the 5.56mm upper and around 2,000 through the .308

Posting it here so members get first shot, willing to cut some losses on it mainly considering the usage (It's in excellent shape, but obviously some wear is going to be visible), will buy new parts for all operating surfaces before selling.

1-2 weeks then I'm going local.

Sadly, too rich for my blood, my friend.

Unless you want to swap 100 pounds or so of sockeye salmon filets and smoked pieces for it Smile_coin.gif

Sadly, too rich for my blood, my friend.

Unless you want to swap 100 pounds or so of sockeye salmon filets and smoked pieces for it Smile_coin.gif

Considering how much my wife loves grilled salmon (by far her favorite food, go through lots), I might legitimately take you up on that to sweeten a deal.

Considering how much my wife loves grilled salmon (by far her favorite food, go through lots), I might legitimately take you up on that to sweeten a deal.

Sadly, I'm going to be broke for the next month or so, as much as I'd like to offer a 50 percent cash, 50 percent fish deal (or whatever). And again, your toys are more spendy than I can afford.

PM me if you want a separate fish delivery though.

Sadly, I'm going to be broke for the next month or so, as much as I'd like to offer a 50 percent cash, 50 percent fish deal (or whatever). And again, your toys are more spendy than I can afford.

PM me if you want a separate fish delivery though.

Will do.

It wouldn't shock me if modern manufacturers intentionally underload their Nazi caliber offerings since only 1 old milsurp gun (well, 1 relatively common gun at least compared to the others) actually uses it. Makes idiots destroying their piece less likely doing dumb shit.

Quick question for the experts on Russian firearms; people in the goonsphere are saying that the AN-94 is bad. Since it wasn't officially adopted, I'm guessing it wasn't that great, but what (if anything) was terrible about it. Mechanical complexity, unreliability, or something else?

Well, I remember the cost per unit was anywhere from 5 to 6 times higher then an AK-74M, which is surely "a thing".

From what I understood, it was pretty complex and needed significantly more training to do routine maint.  Nate and LoooSer will surely correct my perceptions tho. IE, Good for SF, not so good for general issue.

It was like five times more expensive than AK-74, and was nightmarish internally (although remarkably simple given what it was doing). 

Fun little scifi ammo concept that I've been thinking about recently. Imagining a world with substantial colonization of the solar system with mostly conventional propulsion systems, weight would be at a premium, while combat distances would be short; the only time they'd ever occur over 50m or so would be in airless zero-g. Therefore, only nominal performance is needed, and virtually no range, but the round must be as light as possible.

Immediately PDW rounds like the 5.7x28mm are brought to mind, but even those aren't light enough, and not sci-fi enough, dammit! So let's throw in caseless. In our universe, caseless has significant problems that will probably prevent it from ever being practical, but in this universe weight is at such a premium due to the costs of intra-system shipping that those downsides are acceptable given the savings. These two concepts combined end up pretty ludicrous looking:

(Round on the right is your standard 34gr shipboard low-ricochet frangible, round on the left is your 31gr "oh shit" steel/aluminum AP round that would perforate soft body armor and most ship hulls alike)

srr3mzy.png

5.56mm for scale:

cGjLT9R.png

What good is a little buzzgun round without some sort of high-capacity feed device? I like to imagine that these rounds would be basically taped together into a belt at the factory with one long strip of reinforced adhesive material. You'd take your "magazine" (really just a receptacle) and throw in the tape-belt, wrapping it over some sort of feed wheel or something - probably integral to the magazine - in the process. The "tape" would help protect the caseless rounds from damage, while allowing the lightest and cheapest possible belt configuration for feeding a hundred or more rounds at a time. As the rounds are fed into the gun, the tape would be cut somehow, and whatever made it into the chamber would burn up along with the propellant.

Oh, and how did we do for weight? Well, the RRLP weighs in at 2.92 grams, while the AP weighs 2.74 grams. For reference, a round of 5.56mm is about 12 grams, while a round of 9mm is about 12.8 grams. Yeehaw!

Fun fact: If you had a weapon that could fire these rounds at just over 6,000 RPM, you would consume ammunition mass at the same rate as an M1A1 Thompson.

...I wonder if you could make a split-breech self-powered gatling gun in this caliber that weighed less than 11lbs? Based on the 16lb weight of the 5.56mm XM16 Microgun, I think the answer is yes.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTT!

Fun fact: If you had a weapon that could fire these rounds at just over 6,000 RPM, you would consume ammunition mass at the same rate as an M1A1 Thompson.

...I wonder if you could make a split-breech self-powered gatling gun in this caliber that weighed less than 11lbs? Based on the 16lb weight of the 5.56mm XM16 Microgun, I think the answer is yes.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTT!

When your gun has a 60 round burst selector. :P