Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

14 minutes ago, mr.T said:

Nothing wrong with folding stocks and adjustable stocks , AKs had great folders , but uncritical adoption of an M4 butstock is just lazy.

It's not an M4 buttstock. So that criticism kind of rings hollow.

14 minutes ago, mr.T said:

There are much better solutions as we have seen on most modern rifles that are not Ar15 patern that is limited by the buffer tube arangment .

You mean other stocks that fold and collapse? Like the AK-12 stock does?

15 minutes ago, mr.T said:

I used to own number of AKs and loved them but optics ready is now mondatory and aka just in not it in standard configuration.

I have an AK-74 and it mounts optics to the side rail just fine.

Ak12 meloved out , likely due desire to keep cost low its barely improved over 100 series. 

Incoherent.

Two features that make hairs stand flimsy sheet metal  topcover with rudimetary fix and  non structural forend configuration

The top cover is not a rudimentary fix. It involves a redesign of the entire receiver stamping. You can't just retrofit it (that's why the AK-12 and AK-200 are separate weapons).

16 minutes ago, mr.T said:

Solid upper and forend and can be done to Aks

Even to old jugo kalashnikovs

I'm aware. I'm also aware that Kalashnikov tried the same arrangement as on the Arex but abandoned it because it suffered severe heating issues. Still, it is probably the best design for rebuilding existing guns with full length rails.

9 hours ago, GMerlon said:

A couple of prototype pistols I ran across on a Russian site while looking for something else (sorry, I don't have any information on these):

24860999_26055.jpg24862157_9040.jpg24863290_18912.jpg

All right, this one isn't an unknown per se, but just in its own category:

13171117.jpg

Images are not working for me, tried to upload them by URL to Imgur - same thing.

On 7/21/2019 at 7:18 PM, Alex C. said:

The SVD manual suggests holding the rifle by the magazine like that (or the little gap in front) for increased accuracy/consistency. The hand guards connect to the barrel so even bipods snap onto the receiver. 

This is not true.  The manual says nothing about it. Any hold is allowed. To improve accuracy, you need to use the same hold when shooting, which was used when preliminary shot(adjustment fire). But even it makes sense to do only at long distances.
27291306.png27291309.png

3 hours ago, Hisname said:

This is not true.  The manual says nothing about it. Any hold is allowed. To improve accuracy, you need to use the same hold when shooting, which was used when preliminary shot(adjustment fire). But even it makes sense to do only at long distances.
27291306.png27291309.png

I cannot read the document above but 3/4 are holding by the mag?

img3293a1pu_roman_s_400x.jpg

"This Russian sniper demonstrates the proper aiming position of the SVD. Note the support hand is holding the magazine and not the hand guards. The sling is allowed to hang free so it does not induce pressure on the barrel.

A magazine hold also eliminates the upward pressure of the hand guards against the barrel, which interferes with barrel harmonics. This is also why a bipod can not be effectively mounted below the hand guards. (Photo by RomanS of militaryphotos.net)"

1 hour ago, Alex C. said:

I cannot read the document above but 3/4 are holding by the mag?

In that page, it's just examples as to how to hold the rifle prone and how to hold the rifle while shooting air targets.

I think it's just so the short handed dudes could see that it's ok to grab it not primarily by the handguard.

Hell, i couldn't grab the AK normally by the handguard while prone, so only magazine hold for me in prone.

Serbian Zastava arms  with thier new line of solid top AK derivatives.  AR charging handle makes me cringe gi it likely the easy/ cheap solution for use with alumiinum upper extrusion not having to many holes for debris to get into the action.

2154831_original.jpg

As someone who's wrestled with charging handle design before, the AR charging design is pretty damn good. It's just a fact of life that there are no good compromises in charging handles.

My biggest issue is that charging handle design sucks like an electrolux if you don't have a last round hold open.

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

As someone who's wrestled with charging handle design before, the AR charging design is pretty damn good. It's just a fact of life that there are no good compromises in charging handles. 

My biggest issue is that charging handle design sucks like an electrolux if you don't have a last round hold open.

I hereby put forth a deceleration of shenanigans.

Combining the charging handle, safety, fire mode selector, and forward assist into one non-reciprocating unit is the ultimate setup.