Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2018 ZhuHai Air show thread but it's all tonks and munitions

Akula_941

On 11/11/2018 at 4:40 PM, Xlucine said:

Some kind of APS-proof tank destroyer to take out IFV's & bigger tanks from the rear? I'm not sure what it provides that a butt-load of ATGM's (for equal weight as the 40mm & ammo) wouldn't

But it's cute!

And honestly, in an urban combat scenario with light infantry, it's mobile light and cheap firepower

Not everything needs to be whacked with a large calibre HEAT warhead.

5 hours ago, Xlucine said:

A ~10kg ATGM is a lot more mobile (and probably cheaper unless you're dealing with dozens of targets), and something like a small recoilless rifle will be cheaper and lighter. It is cute, but I can't see any problem it's particularly good at solving

I think a lot of the footage in Syria indicates that cannons are pretty useful things to have around. The sheer number of technicals indicates that light infantry support cannons are handy to have around. The Chinese are apparently fielding these Lynx things in significant numbers, so I guess they are finding them useful.

4 hours ago, Belesarius said:

I think a lot of the footage in Syria indicates that cannons are pretty useful things to have around. The sheer number of technicals indicates that light infantry support cannons are handy to have around. The Chinese are apparently fielding these Lynx things in significant numbers, so I guess they are finding them useful.

Chinese also don't have any serious combat experience. Those cannons would be better on heavy/medium IFV chassis than on those 6x6 wheeled death traps.

8 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Chinese also don't have any serious combat experience. Those cannons would be better on heavy/medium IFV chassis than on those 6x6 wheeled death traps.

I would suspect that these are for light infantry forces.  I don't know much about the TOE of Chinese forces tho. Maybe Akula or someone else can weigh in on that.

14 minutes ago, Xlucine said:

You'd have to be pretty light for that to be the best you can get - it's possible to air-drop something with actual armour, and wheeled IFVs are a thing now

Someone  saying on dicksword that they have a couple of brigades equipped with these things. Who knows? Chinese do things their own way.

They have a SHORAD, MRLS, and I think a light howitzer on these things too.  Myself, I'd bet on Mountain troops. I know they have places where even their medium tanks can't go.

Most of China's contested territory is either mountains or islands.   

When i saw that lynx, i immediately thought how useful for either side it would've been for india/pakistan mountain skirmish.

(Followed by, what a great platform for development of robotank.  I wonder if logistics make it a cheaper robotank than reuse of excess type59 tanks)

5 hours ago, Kal said:

Most of China's contested territory is either mountains or islands.   

When i saw that lynx, i immediately thought how useful for either side it would've been for india/pakistan mountain skirmish.

(Followed by, what a great platform for development of robotank.  I wonder if logistics make it a cheaper robotank than reuse of excess type59 tanks)

And gee, if I read things right, it's also amphibious...