Sturgeon's House
Bronezhilet

Anti-air thread: Everything that goes up must come down, and we'll help you go down

Not sure why they are putting the Hellfires on. I would have thought a pure AIM-9X loadout would have been perfectly reasonable, with the laser for anything that isn't worth a missile.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:37 PM, Belesarius said:

Not sure why they are putting the Hellfires on. I would have thought a pure AIM-9X loadout would have been perfectly reasonable, with the laser for anything that isn't worth a missile.

This is purely anecdotal, but I once read a claim by a Reaper pilot who said he got a simulated air to air kill with a Hellfire during an exercise. Whether you could do that for real is another question.

3 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

This is purely anecdotal, but I once read a claim by a Predator pilot who said he got a simulated air to air kill with a Hellfire. Whether you could do that in real life is another question.

From Wiki: "The only known operational air-to-air kill with a Hellfire took place on 24 May 2001. A civilian Cessna 152 aircraft entered Israeli airspace from Lebanon, with unknown intentions and refusing to answer or comply with ATC repeated warnings to turn back. An Israeli Air Force AH-64A helicopter fired upon the Cessna, resulting in its complete disintegration."

13 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

This is purely anecdotal, but I once read a claim by a Predator pilot who said he got a simulated air to air kill with a Hellfire. Whether you could do that in real life is another question.

Mach 1.3 SALH or radar guided missile (For the AGM-114L.) I don't see why not.  I think that it's been mentioned that it's supposedly the longbow version that was tested for this system. I could be wrong tho.