Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Gun Control Megathread

Xoon

3 hours ago, Belesarius said:

I think that's a flare launcher, not an actual 203, from what I can tell. As Mr. Watters was saying in a FB post earlier today, the trigger guard gives it way.

And the cocking knob. real M203's recock when you slide the tube forward. 

2 hours ago, Xlucine said:

What are the aluminium tubes with the orange casings in the lower left? Shotgun conversions for the flare launcher possibly, or are those flares?

Pyro rounds. Likely smoke by the size and shape.

4 hours ago, Xlucine said:

Ah, so those might be the "infernal machines" he was charged with possession of?

When I was a kid, a local teacher got charged with "possession of an infernal device".. It was one of those huge clunky Edmund Scientific LASERs and he'd been using it to point out constellations.

I never got it straight who was pushing the case but when it got in front of a judge, the county, (iirc) got it's pecker slapped.

Check your state and local statutes. I bet your everyday penlight LASER is by definition "An Infernal Device".

32 minutes ago, Meplat said:

Check your state and local statutes. I bet your everyday penlight LASER is by definition "An Infernal Device".

There's so many federal laws on the books, the average person has most likely broken a handful just by living. 

On this board? We'd go for a high score.

So Politico ran an overly lengthy rambling mess of an article penned by an alleged writer for The Firearm Blog (and other publications) stating that gun owners need to get on board the boat for requiring a federal license for all semi-automatic weapons in exchange for...

Nothing.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/04/28/gun-nuts-guide-to-gun-control-federal-semi-automatic-firearm-license-218072

Yep. This guy buy's into the notion that gun owners should just give up another inch in the hopes that the Left won't take a yard. But hey, he got his byline in Politico.

I don't recall any John Stokes articles but looking his byline up he did shill for the Honor Guard pistol (stifles a laugh). 

If you want to slog through his word salad of a column, be my guest. 

23 hours ago, Donward said:

So Politico ran an overly lengthy rambling mess of an article penned by an alleged writer for The Firearm Blog (and other publications) stating that gun owners need to get on board the boat for requiring a federal license for all semi-automatic weapons in exchange for...

Nothing.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/04/28/gun-nuts-guide-to-gun-control-federal-semi-automatic-firearm-license-218072

Yep. This guy buy's into the notion that gun owners should just give up another inch in the hopes that the Left won't take a yard. But hey, he got his byline in Politico.

I don't recall any John Stokes articles but looking his byline up he did shill for the Honor Guard pistol (stifles a laugh). 

How about he go suck-start a R975..

On 4/30/2018 at 10:16 PM, Donward said:

Nothing.

Where is it purported that he wrote for TFB?

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Where is it purported that he wrote for TFB?

The attribution line at the end

Jon Stokes is a founder of Ars Technica and a former editor for Wired. He writes about guns and technology for TechCrunch, AllOutdoor.com, TheFireArmBlog.com and other publications.

Those of you who have heard me talk about it before (most people in this thread, in other words) know that I believe the USA is more pro-gun than ever before in its modern history. Not only that, but I think the DNC is broke, leaderless, off-message, and failing to keep together its disparate constituents as a result. Aggravating this, the Democratic leadership has chosen to make gun control a major issue for the 2018 midterms, despite it always being a weak issue for them historically. Because of this, I expect significant losses for the Democrats in November, and significant gains for Trump-leaning Republicans.

Despite these obvious (to me) facts, the American pro-gun movement has decided to entrench itself and play defense as they have always done. Much more wise in my opinion would be to go on the offense, pushing back existing gun regulations and promoting the kind of legal reforms that would be most attractive to American gun owners. Early next year, when all the fresh new pro-Trump Republicans have taken their seats, would be the natural time to push legislation for things like:

Deregulating short barreled rifles and shotguns

Deregulating suppressors

Formalizing an exception for shotguns in destructive device (DD) laws

Concealed carry reciprocity

National "assault weapon" legalization

NFA and GCA reforms

Opening the machine gun registry

and others.

Such a plan would use simultaneous, coordinated bills to confuse and overwhelm the antis, going behind their lines to enact reforms in their major command centers, like Massachusetts and California. Confused, discredited, and clearly incapable of any political gains whatsoever, the gun control machine would sputter and collapse, forever.

We'd call it: The Spring '19 Offensive.

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

Those of you who have heard me talk about it before (most people in this thread, in other words) know that I believe the USA is more pro-gun than ever before in its modern history. Not only that, but I think the DNC is broke, leaderless, off-message, and failing to keep together its disparate constituents as a result. Aggravating this, the Democratic leadership has chosen to make gun control a major issue for the 2018 midterms, despite it always being a weak issue for them historically. Because of this, I expect significant losses for the Democrats in November, and significant gains for Trump-leaning Republicans.

Despite these obvious (to me) facts, the American pro-gun movement has decided to entrench itself and play defense as they have always done. Much more wise in my opinion would be to go on the offense, pushing back existing gun regulations and promoting the kind of legal reforms that would be most attractive to American gun owners. Early next year, when all the fresh new pro-Trump Republicans have taken their seats, would be the natural time to push legislation for things like:

Deregulating suppressors

NFA and GCA reforms

and others.

Such a plan would use simultaneous, coordinated bills to confuse and overwhelm the antis, going behind their lines to enact reforms in their major command centers, like Massachusetts and California. Confused, discredited, and clearly incapable of any political gains whatsoever, the gun control machine would sputter and collapse, forever.

31882963_1736562849739484_66300684857224

3 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Deregulating suppressors

NFA and GCA reforms

and others.

Be nice to have happen, but I'm not going to hold my breath in anticipation.

I'm sure the Republican party will somehow find a way to shit all over itself and any chance of serious firearms reform.

Not US, but interesting event

Dcka-DFXcAMHgvQ.jpg

A warehouse of weapons with four armored personnel carriers was found near Samara

/.../

52 firearms were confiscated, including those with structural changes allowing automatic fire, as well as over 35,700 cartridges of various caliber, all were stored at an industrial base in Stepnaya Street".

/.../

As reported by the portal "Volga-News", law enforcers found four BTR and modified UAZ, in the back of which also found a safe for transportation of large quantities of weapons. On the industrial base also machines for the conversion of weapons were stored: in particular "Saiga" carabines there were modified for shooting in bursts.

According to the media, this arsenal was owned by Sergei Marchenko, he is also was known under nickmname "Marchello". According to information in open sources, in the 1990s he was the head of a large Samara gang, which sold weapons and stolen cars, and also engaged in oil theft.