Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Name that AFV: The New Tank ID thread

Walter_Sobchak

Since Xlucine suggested it in the general AFV thread, here is a new version of the old Tank ID thread that used to exist at the WoT forums, back before the great exodus to SH.

The rules are simple.  Post a picture of some sort of AFV and everyone has to try to name what it is.  Try to avoid posting a new picture until the previous picture is identified.  Generally, the person who was first to correctly ID the picture in question gets to post the next picture, unless they want to pass.  If a picture is not ID'd in a day or two, the person that posted it should say what it is and bask in their own sense of superiority.   They should then post a new picture for the sake of keeping the thread moving.  Please, no fictional tanks, paper napkin drawings that never made it to prototype or pictures where the vehicle in question is obscured or particularly hard to see.  Also, if posting a picture of an unusual variant of a relatively common vehicle, be sure to note that you are looking for the specific variant name, not just the general family of vehicles it belongs to (for example, if I post a picture of a Panzer IV with the hydrostat drive, I would say in the post something like "What makes this Panzer IV unusual?" since everyone can ID a Panzer IV)

It is perfectly ok to shame those that make spectacularly wrong guesses.  That's just how we roll around here.  

I'll start 

quiz-tank.jpg?w=680

3 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Hmm, its obviously M60ish.  

Correct.

3 hours ago, Scolopax said:

It's in a museum though instead of space.

Also correct.

18 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Yep, it looks like the back of the M60A2 turret.  Is this one of the prototypes that now sits in a museum?

You got it. It's in the American Armoured [sic] Foundation Tank Museum in Danville, VA. I tried to hide the vehicle beside it since it's kind of iconic. ;)

W3hJuqU.jpg