Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General PC games master race thread. Everything about games. EVERYTHING.

LoooSeR

So I quit Dark Souls 2 after beating 1. I just greatly disliked the worlds, the enemies, the visuals, and the level design/fights. I watched an LP, read some lore, then moved on to 3. Once I was able to kind of break through that first barrier, it was right back to a great experience. I miss the slower pace of DS1, but the visuals, world, and fights of 3 more than make up for that. I'm especially digging that I do parries more now that the timing actually makes sense.

I actually like the open beta for Ghost Recon: Wildlands so far, it feels like what The Division should've been.

Though, some of the customization options are odd, Ubisoft, who used to never pay anyone for licenses to use their products ingame, made a deal with 5.11 Tactical of all people to use their namebrand and gear likeness, they also have that one Taiwanese Ballistic facemask as a customization option.

Just now, Sturgeon said:

FIFY

Yeh, a short while after I posted that, I mentioned that I was enjoying FO4 to a friend, and he pointed out a lot of things that had regressed from the previous games. I enjoy the survival mechanics a lot more in this iteration, but I really wish they hadn't fucked with a lot of things that were just plain better in the previous games. 

On 2/24/2017 at 6:34 AM, Brick Fight said:

So I quit Dark Souls 2 after beating 1. I just greatly disliked the worlds, the enemies, the visuals, and the level design/fights. I watched an LP, read some lore, then moved on to 3. Once I was able to kind of break through that first barrier, it was right back to a great experience. I miss the slower pace of DS1, but the visuals, world, and fights of 3 more than make up for that. I'm especially digging that I do parries more now that the timing actually makes sense.

I started my Fromsoft quest with DS2. And for what it is, I enjoy it. It is a good game. 

However, it's no DS1, and there's a list of complaints that are perfectly valid when comparing the two. However, if you know the history of the game's development, you'd understand where it went awry as well as have an appreciation that there was even a DS2 at all. 

And DS3 would not have happened if DS2 hadn't been a quickly cobbled together pile of mush, so I'm thanking my stars for that. 

2 hours ago, Vanagandr said:

Yeh, a short while after I posted that, I mentioned that I was enjoying FO4 to a friend, and he pointed out a lot of things that had regressed from the previous games. I enjoy the survival mechanics a lot more in this iteration, but I really wish they hadn't fucked with a lot of things that were just plain better in the previous games. 

The shooter mechanics are solid, but it's a terrible RPG. A Fallout 4 with writing and plot on the level of Fallout New Vegas would be fantastic, but that's no surprise, Bethesda have always been shitty writers, especially compared to Obsidian.

My problem with Bethesda games is that they usually start out a good, reasonable pace. Then about five hours in, you hit this power cascade where everything dies in one or two hits and you're just this murder machine and the exploration becomes more about ticking boxes than finding interesting places with useful stuff inside.

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

"Skyrim sucks dick for a bunch of reasons."

"NOT WHEN YOU TAKE FIFTEEN HOURS OF YOUR LIFE TO PATCH IT WITH A BUNCH OF FIXES OTHER PEOPLE HAD TO WORK HARD MAKING JUST TO ENJOY THE GAME."

"I rest my case."

Skyrim doesn't suck. It is a well made game, and one of the least buggy products by Bethesda. 

That being said, I prefer to play with mods created by the community that are decent. I agree that Bethesda games are usually pretty buggy (Call of Cthulhu...), but I didn't have many issues at all with the vanilla skyrim. 

I think half the bugs people get are from bad mods, to be honest.

I will actually go on the record that I've never witnessed a notable bug in a Bethesda game, even a harmless funny graphical one. Maybe rarely ever modding the games had something to do with that.

Honestly, the one mod that did the most for me in Skyrim was the original Morrowloot. It mostly just kept you from getting world destroyer equipment as a result of just putzing around and the top armor types were only available through crafting. Last I checked, people restored it for new versions but added a bunch of unnecessary crap like any modder does.

13 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

"Skyrim sucks dick for a bunch of reasons."

"NOT WHEN YOU TAKE FIFTEEN HOURS OF YOUR LIFE TO PATCH IT WITH A BUNCH OF FIXES OTHER PEOPLE HAD TO WORK HARD MAKING JUST TO ENJOY THE GAME."

"I rest my case."

Is hating/loving Skyrim still a thing?

10 minutes ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Having strong opinions on inconsequential topics is always a thing.

I also enjoyed stock Skyrim just fine. I then tried to run Fallout 3 and was presented with a 17 page guide on how to "properly" mod it while looking for how to get it to run on Win10, so I gave up.

Skyrim was disappointing but OK (it still sucks dick for a bunch of reasons), but Fallout 3 was a complete trainwreck.