Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

On the topic of revolvers and TFB announcements, I seriously cannot wrap my mind around the fact that, of all the things Colt could do, they deiced to reintroduce the Cobra.

Just what we need, another snub nosed 6 shooter chambered in .38 Dogshit! And they wonder why they went Bankrupt.

What next? "After exciting news, Walther announces It's reintroducing it's Model 9 .25 ACP pistol, now capable of firing rounds using a device to gain extra muzzle energy mounted above the sights known as a *slingshot*!"

Eh. It's a decent start for Colt. People buy .38 Special revolvers. And hopefully Colt will get back into a revolver market which companies like Ruger and Taurus have monopolized. 

But yeah. .357 or .327 Magnum would have been better.

Of course being Colt, they'll figure out how to fuck it up somehow...

Eh. It's a decent start for Colt. People buy .38 Special revolvers. And hopefully Colt will get back into a revolver market which companies like Ruger and Taurus have monopolized. 

But yeah. .357 or .327 Magnum would have been better.

Of course being Colt, they'll figure out how to fuck it up somehow...

They really should've reintroduced the King Cobra over the Cobra, aswell as being in .357 magnum which can use .38 special in the first place, it also at least had alternate barrel lengths.

What are you talking about?

I was comparing two similar weapons in the same exact caliber, one a Sig and the other the traditional .45 Colt 1911.

Holy heck man. Stop trying to pick a fight over everything.

And yes, I've fired multiple semi-automatic handguns and own a pair myself.

I know you have. The wording was funny, that's why I pointed it out.

Anyway, I don't think we're on the same wavelength, and so what I mean as good natured ribbing isn't coming off that way.

They really should've reintroduced the King Cobra over the Cobra, aswell as being in .357 magnum which can use .38 special in the first place, it also at least had alternate barrel lengths.

I'm sure the corporate bean-counters took a look at Ruger's revolver sales, saw the LCR's popularity and said "Hey! Let's do that!"

Oh pish posh. It's not "sensitive". It's of little concern whatsoever.

It's just that when you consider a weapon's weight, caliber, bullet grain and powder load, action, grip size, grip shape, barrel length, whether the barrel is ported, trigger type, trigger angle and whether someone has large, strong hands, weak wrists, or little piggy fingers, and the physical condition of the shooter, bore axis comes way down on the bottom of that list. I've fired a couple Colt 1911s including my step-grandfather's WW2 bring-home. I've fired fired my step-dad's West Germany .45 Sig. Pretty much equal in terms of "muzzle flip" all things considered.

Sure, if I was a competive shooter, I'd care more. But as an "average Joe", bore axis of little concern. But maybe I say that because I'm 6'2" and 215 pounds of gristle and have a vice grip for hands.

Confirmed, Donward too manly for silly physics. 

You can go ahead and thump your chest as much as you like and tell all of us sissies how little an effect bore axis has on shooting. We're all totally OK with that. Because we know you're just being a contrarian for the sake of it. ;)

Bore axis is an issue when shooting with any sort of speed. Like you would be if you ever actually had to use the damned pistol. 

I'm sure the corporate bean-counters took a look at Ruger's revolver sales, saw the LCR's popularity and said "Hey! Let's do that!"

Well, then their bean counters need a swift kick in the ass.

Let's seen, the LCR in .38 Special has an MSRP of 580 dollars and, in the standard .38 Special loadings, a street price of $500.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ruger-reg-LCR-Revolvers/706574.uts

The new Cobra is expected to have an MSRP of over 700 dollars and will likely retail for that.

You lose one less shot I guess, but from 5 to 6, who really cares? mainly when you're buying a .38 special snub nose of all guns?

lPBgDiK.png

And in this exhibit we see: the concepts of butthurt and cognitive dissonance from delusional SIG fanboys that can't ever admit that SIG would dare resort to copying the concept of Glocks design! but when they do it's somehow the bestest handgun ever made.

Would be a shame if SIGs own marketing team disagreed that the P320 is totally not a Glock/Glock clone or something....

37f0FWp.jpg

That gun to the left of the P320 must just be an unused polymer prototype or something.

(They wouldn't let me post this on TFB for reasons.)

Finally got to see my grandfather's stash of guns.  They're in rougher shape than I expected, but that's because I somehow missed the part where my dad and uncle used them a lot too.  There's some assorted pellet rifles, break barrel shotguns in .410, 16 gauge, and 12 gauge, what I think is a Colt 1851 revolver in rough shape, a couple Winchester 1897s, a Winchester 1890, and my uncle's 870.  The 1897 furthest from my camera has a Damascus sort of thing going on with the barrel too.  I didn't pick any up then since I'm back at college now, but I do plan on snatching a 1897 when I get the chance.

rSthyZP.jpg

aKDO9Oe.jpg
ARXJ6Ok.jpg
OJWaEbA.png

Spoilers don't want to work again

R/e the '97, see if there are any rollstamps or markings on the barrel.

Chances are it's an etched fluid steel, intended to look like Damascus.

I won't be able to stop by and look at them again for a while, but I will give it a better look once I get a chance.  It is a C version and the serial number tells me it's made in 1903, so that still leaves the possibility that it's a Damascus barrel.

s79uabu.jpg

The H9, made in the US of A. It's like a... like a glock thing.

MSRP is north of $1100. 

OVERALL LENGTH

7.625in

OVERALL HEIGHT

5.225in

OVERALL WIDTH

1.24in

BARREL LENGTH

4.28in

WEIGHT UNLOADED

34oz

TRIGGER PULL WEIGHT

4.5-5 lbs

TRIGGER TRAVEL

.115in

MAG CAPACITY

SIGHT RADIUS

6.26in

G10 VZ GRIPS

TRIJICON HD
FRONT SIGHT

G10 HOGUE LOWER BACKSTRAP

hudson_h9_revealed01.jpg

hudson_h9_revealed02.jpg

I won't be able to stop by and look at them again for a while, but I will give it a better look once I get a chance.  It is a C version and the serial number tells me it's made in 1903, so that still leaves the possibility that it's a Damascus barrel.

s79uabu.jpg

Betting it's fluid steel, but if it is Damas, lucky you.  I used to shoot a 10 gauge hammerlock Boss for dove, and it was a fine old iron.

[Regarding the tilt locking systemm, paraphrased from Tim at 11:53] "The StG-44 is a first-generation tilt locker, what the Germans were working on had never been done before. The FAL and the SKS are based on the work the Germans did with this system."

Uhuh. 

Cuz it's not like the SVT-40 or ZB-26 exist.

[Regarding the tilt locking systemm, paraphrased from Tim at 11:53] "The StG-44 is a first-generation tilt locker, what the Germans were working on had never been done before. The FAL and the SKS are based on the work the Germans did with this system."

Uhuh. 

Cuz it's not like the SVT-40 or ZB-26 exist.

It's even worse than that.  As I am sure you are aware (but other readers perhaps are not) according to Heereswaffenamt archival material, the Mkb 42(h) tilting bolt not only post-dates the ZB-26, it is explicitly copied from it.  The HWA actually told Haenel to copy the well-proven ZB-26 action.  Why they did not give a similar directive to Walther is a mystery.  Perhaps they trusted Walther, as established gun designers, to come up with a decent design, while Haenel, being completely new to the field of firearms manufacture, needed more guidance on their freshman design.

Edit:

I just double-checked the authoritative book on the matter, and it was the WaPrüf 2 department of the HWA that specifically requested that Haenel use a design similar to the Czech ZB24 rear-locking tilting bolt design in 1939.