Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

American™* Quality

*American imported quality. From Croatia. Springfield Armory has no affiliation to the actual Springfield Armory, and we are hoping by making the text font small enough no one will ever realize this and sue us for misrepresenting our company. Please buy more of our shitty M14 clones with cast receivers and stocks that we haven't even bothered to cut down to proper size, shitty Brazilian pot metal 1911s, and imported Croatian handguns with needlessly high bore axes.

Actually that looks like the magazine is fucked up, so it's really Italian™ Quality.

HEY HEY HEY

I'm pretty sure some of their shitty 1911s are from the Philippines.

I have been told that's a myth, but I don't know for sure.

I do know one thing, that I've compared an Armscor (importer of Filipino 1911s) gun side-by-side with an SAI "GI" gun and couldn't tell the difference besides markings. So they're at least substantially made the same way. Some of the SAI higher-end 1911s are significantly nicer, but their budget shit is basically the same budget shit everyone else is peddling with an extra $150 tacked on because of their stolen name.

page049.jpg

page050.jpg

This issue was interesting..

Basically the alloy used changed, and the quality and depth of the anodizing changed.  IIRC it's mentioned in one of the "Black Rifle" books.

It's not an immediate issue, and the '16 can lose a LOT of metal to this before you have serious issues.  Kokalis published a series of images in the 1980's showing Ex ARVN M16's in the hands of south american communist forces, with holes worn/corroded through sections of the magazine well.  While really ugly, the weapons functioned fine.

The same exfoliation issue was also responsible for a number of airworthyness directives on a slew of aircraft using early aluminum alloy forgings in the structure.