Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

Things I Learned today:

YouTube gun celebrity James Yeager's lawyer is a Brony.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/11/11/psa-choose-competent-firearm-instructors/

Which begs the following question of whether James Yeager himself is a Brony. My money is now on the answer "Yes!!!".

Today I learned that the Soviet Union investigated dinitrogen tetroxide as a coolant for fast-neutron reactors.

That'll put hair on your chest.

This would be really useful if you wanted an easy way to dispose of your reactors once they become surplus to requirements.

• 3 weeks later...

I learned that Vincent Van Gogh, in addition to being a middling painter, absolutely batshit crazy and a miserable son of a bitch to everyone he met was also a Weaboo.

http://www.vangoghgallery.com/influences/japonisme.html

Yep, the post-impressionistic painting master collected Japanese prints and resold them, and even went so far as to creating his own fanwork by embellishing existing Japanese pictures, thus making him the 19th Century equivalent of an ANIMEA fan.

Van_Gogh_-_la_courtisane.jpg

REMOVE ANIMEA!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Vincent_van_Gogh

Oh...

I see Tied has already gotten back in his Soviet Ti(ed)me Machine and made the death look like a suicide.

I wouldn't consider this 'cool' in the slightest, but today I learned that I can only roll my eyes about ten times in a row before they start to hurt. 

snapback.pngWithinAmnesia, on Dec 12 2015 - 01:48, said:

"[8 mm Breda Medium Machine Gun, Model 38] at 792 m/s is quoted online as managing managing 13 mm at 100 m." is this penetration value for a 13 mm plate at a ubiquitous angle of 30 degrees?  For if it is that would mean that (assuming the value to be accurate) the 8 mm Breda 38 armour piercing round could penetrate a vertical 15 mm plate at a distance of ~100 meters...

If this was the case than using World of Tanks penetration er 'logic' of +/- 25% penetration values the theoretical world of tanks minimum maximum armour penetration would be 11.25 mm to 18.75 mm. Also to note that the Breda 38 has a rate of fire of 600 rounds per minute and with a vertical box magazine holding 24 rounds of ammunition. So say the Breda 38 was mounted onto a tier II premium vehicle with preferential matchmaking where in never saw tier III in world of tanks. Now I just went through all of the Tier I and Tier II 'non-retired' vehicles on Tanks.gg and I viewed all of their frontal armour and only the D1, Hotchkiss H35, FCM 35, Renault R35 and the T-60 would be unassailable in a front on firefight with 18 mm of penetration. Although all of said vehicles are defeat-able from non-frontal directions.

So let us do some math for how many shots out of a 24 round box magazine would have at least 18 mm of penetration.  50% of the shots are going to be =/+ 15 mm of penetration on average, 18.75-15.00=3.75. So 3.75 divided by 50 = 0.075, 18.00 divided by 0.075 = 240, 11.25 (minimum penetration value) divided by 0.075 = 150, 15.00 divided by 0.075 = 200, 18.75 divided by 0.075 = 250. For a simple calculation I will -150 all of the numbers so we have 11.25 = 0, 15 = 50, 18 = 90 and 18.75 = 100. Then we realize that 90 vs.100 is basically 90% and 100% so we are left with a ~10% difference (So much MATH!?!?!?!). Now if we use World of Tanks penetration 'logic' there would be a ~10% chance that one shot fired from a Breda 38 that will have at least 18 mm of armour penetration. So back to that 24 round box magazine.. 24x0.1(or 10%)=2.4 rounds per box magazine will have at least 18 mm of armour penetration; that is not very much. Although say a magazine takes 3 seconds to change in a 100% crew (they are only 8 mm rounds after all).. Now let us see how many rounds could be fired in say ~10 seconds +/- ~3 seconds.. 60 (or one minute) divided by 600 = 0.1 or 0.1 seconds in between each round. So 24x0.1=2.4 or 2.4 seconds to empty one magazine of 24 rounds. Now say in a good scenario the Breda 38 is waiting in ambush with delay for its first round within the 10 second engagement; I am being a bit 'nice' here.. So 2.4+3+2.4=7.8 (seconds) for 2 magazines or 2.4+3+2.4+3+2.4=13.2 (seconds) for 3 magazines. Now let us say that the 8 mm armour piecing round ( 'M.35' ) does 6 damage in World of Tanks (8 damage = ~13mm, ~11 damage = ~20 mm so let us be generous and use the 0.72 repeating ration from 8 divided by ~11 (the difference ratio of 8 compared to 11). So 2.4+3=5, 60 divided by 5.4 = 11.11 repeating magazines per minute (with a 100% crew) so that is 11.11 repeating times 24 = 266.66 rounds per minute times 6 = 1599.55 damage per minute with possibly 15 mm of average penetration at 100 meters. So with one magazines that would be 144 damage in 2.4 seconds, 288 damage in 7.8 seconds, 432 damage in 13.2 seconds if all (average 15 mm penetration) rounds hit, penetrate and do average damage. Here is the Grand Calculation of  the 'theoretical W.o.T. version of the Breda 38:

2.4 seconds = 144 damage with 14.4 damage vs. 18 mm of armour.

7.8 seconds = 288 damage with 28.8 damage vs. 18 mm of armour.

13.2 seconds = 432 damage with 43.2 damage vs. 18 mm of armour.

59.4 seconds = 1584 damage with 158.4 damage vs. 18 mm of armour (11 magazines)

Also could we cheat and use a high explosive round with 8 damage and 10 mm of armour penetration? (37mm Gun M1916's H.E. rounds' 19 mm penetration divided by its A.P. round's 28 mm of armour penetration = 0.67857142857142857142857142857143 (<- times 15 [breda 38's possible average penetration] = 10.178571428571428571428571428571 for a rough estimate)

TL;DR:

NQsk3O6.jpg

This Tank (L.6/40 Reparto Celerecould be an Italian Tier II Premium Tank that only sees Tiers I and II.

It is mounted with a singe 8 mm Breda 38 that would be a buzz-saw roller coaster to use in Tiers I and II, Absolutely destroying every paper tank and doing almost nothing against the hand full of tanks (6) with decent armour.

Armament: Insanely Low 11.25 mm - 18.75 mm (15 mm) Penetration Buzz-Saw with Insane Burst Damage and D.P.M.

Power To Weight Ratio: 10.something

Armour Thickness: 30-6 mm or 40-6 mm? (It could have a hard time killing itself). (I cannot find an armour layout and the internet is contradicting itself).

Purple Bullet Hose.

TIL and have now seen for myself. Apparently in Asian cultures, conceiving a child under the Northern Lights is supposed to give that child magical qualities or make them lucky or some such thing. Because of this, Fairbanks in the winter time is a destination location for Asian couples (a lot of Chinese and Taiwanese atm) to get their freak on and breed under the Aurora.

My buddy who works up here has lost count of the number of times he has stopped to help a car pulled off on the side of the road only to be confronted by a rapidly thrusting Asian butt.

Sitting at the Fairbanks Airport waiting for the jet home and there are a lot of bow legged Asian gals.

TIL and have now seen for myself. Apparently in Asian cultures, conceiving a child under the Northern Lights is supposed to give that child magical qualities or make them lucky or some such thing. Because of this, Fairbanks in the winter time is a destination location for Asian couples (a lot of Chinese and Taiwanese atm) to get their freak on and breed under the Aurora.

My buddy who works up here has lost count of the number of times he has stopped to help a car pulled off on the side of the road only to be confronted by a rapidly thrusting Asian butt.

Sitting at the Fairbanks Airport waiting for the jet home and there are a lot of bow legged Asian gals.

Yeah, It's supposed to bless them with future prosperity.

Some Swedish test where they were firing the Mi-28s Vikihrs in extreme weather conditions, in the winter, and they were blown away by how often and trouble free they were able to repeat accurate shots at range while moving 

Something like a 95% success rate 

And they concluded that the entire helicopter could be maintained by someone who didnt fucking know how to read, and unlike the Apache non of the elements have a bad habit of freezing up in winter and needing to be replaced

Here is part of the reports, the juicy bits are buried deep on otvaga

The official Swedish Army Aviation
Centre report on the evaluation stated
that the Mi-28's weapons accuracy
was "good and astonishingly
repeatable," particularly taking into
account the range of firing parameters
and poor weather conditions. Both
9M1154Shturmand 9M120 Ataka
guided missiles were fired against
stationary targets (to a maximum range
of 4680 m/15,354 ft, with the Mi-28
flying at 200 km/h, 124 mph IAS), with
1-m (3.3-ft) accuracy.

its probably called that because ive seen Hose's with more armor than that Spaghetti shitbox 

Hey, don't talk shit, unless you want it ruining your tanks paint job with it's amazing main gun that's chambered for a cartridge just barely larger and arguably worse performing then 8x57mm Mauser!

TIL about Russia's want to colonize Hawaii. 

CQlI8akUEAAdN1n.jpg

I knew Russia had something going on in Hawaii, but I never thought it was anything beyond a little shipping post. 

Most major powers were angling to get a nice chunk of land in the middle of the Pacific with a good harbor.  The Hawaiian monarchy had to juggle suitors to maintain independence.