Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

Today I learned that salmon sperm (known as milt) can be used to extract or recycle rare earth elements in a non-toxic process. Apologies for not linking but I'm mobile with limited bandwidth on the edge of the tundra.

Also, milt is a delicacy in places like Japan but I already knew that.

Today I learned that salmon sperm (known as milt) can be used to extract or recycle rare earth elements in a non-toxic process. Apologies for not linking but I'm mobile with limited bandwidth on the edge of the tundra.

if its something sperm related theres a 75% chance that its a delicacy in Japan

Dale and Tucker vs Evil is a good movie

not nearly as funny as the marathon of trailer park boys movies i have been watching, but think of it as a 'scary movie' comedy that dosent talk down to its audience 

its funny enough, but not too satirical, like the characters actually give two hoots that they are in a stick situation

i recommend it

its by no means fantastic, and isnt as funny as TPB mentioned above

its not a bad film, but its one of those movie's that gets props just becuase every satire movie of film cliche's for the last 10 years has been absolute shit

We use spermidine from salmon sperm to bond DNA to metallic substrates, so this makes sense.

The executions seem to have occurred in Mosul, so Iraqi commanders were likely involved. 

I learned something yesterday. That the phylum Vetulicolia existed and the creatures within that phylum look like swimming buttholes. 

Didazoon_haoae.jpg

Didazoon haoae

These animals are simple chordates and have simple gill-like structures. They only have appeared in the Middle Cambrian. 

I just can't get over that they look like a horrid creature that would fit in perfectly in the Alien universe. 

The lady and her friend at the store today learned the power of RNG. You should be careful making snide remarks about the people in line behind you  (my wife and I) in your own language because the person you are making the remarks about might just speak that language as well. 

The lady and her friend at the store today learned the power of RNG. You should be careful making snide remarks about the people in line behind you (my wife and I) in your own language because the person you are making the remarks about might just speak that language as well.

This has happened to a few people I know. There are so many South African expats floating around that speaking afrikaans behind peoples' backs has a good chance of backfiring.

Today Tekky and I tried to puzzle out how fuel cells work.  We learned that they work by magic.

Hydrogen fuel is pumped past a catalyst that uses diplomacy to convince the hydrogen's electron to part from the proton.  Why in the fuck does this work?!  Why would hydrogen just ionize like that?!  Well, it does, whatever.  Then the proton from the hydrogen passes through a magical membrane that only lets protons through, somehow, because the electrons are reprobates and the protons are of the elect.  Then the electrons catch up via a wire that goes around the edge, and in their happiness to reunite, the hydrogen mixes with oxygen, only somehow the energy was stripped off when the electrons went through the wire between the cathode and anode.

And that is how fuel cells turn fire directly into electricity.

Lord Voldemort has sought, unsuccessfully and at length, to understand the secret of fuel cells, but he will always fail, because the secret of how fuel cells work is the one thing he cannot understand.  Love.

Anyway, if you have a better explanation, I'd like to hear it.

Today Tekky and I tried to puzzle out how fuel cells work.  We learned that they work by magic.

Hydrogen fuel is pumped past a catalyst that uses diplomacy to convince the hydrogen's electron to part from the proton.  Why in the fuck does this work?!  Why would hydrogen just ionize like that?!  Well, it does, whatever.  Then the proton from the hydrogen passes through a magical membrane that only lets protons through, somehow, because the electrons are reprobates and the protons are of the elect.  Then the electrons catch up via a wire that goes around the edge, and in their happiness to reunite, the hydrogen mixes with oxygen, only somehow the energy was stripped off when the electrons went through the wire between the cathode and anode.

And that is how fuel cells turn fire directly into electricity.

Lord Voldemort has sought, unsuccessfully and at length, to understand the secret of fuel cells, but he will always fail, because the secret of how fuel cells work is the one thing he cannot understand.  Love.

Anyway, if you have a better explanation, I'd like to hear it.

Feel for us poor biologists trying to understand ATP synthase and proton pumps.

• 4 weeks later...