Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The terrible movies and reviews thread

Toxn

50 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

for example, Chris Pratt in the original pronounced "Abrar" chewing all the letters in the word (accent?), haha, but in ours it was clear and understandable, with a better understandable intonation.

This is an artificiality of Hollywood movies intended to make a character seem less like they come from California or New York. Which is funny because most US veterans from bumfuck can do Arabic pronunciation just fine. Anyone actually from "twang" country can recognize how stupid it sounds a mile away.

This is what the guy that Crisp Rat's character is based on sounds like:

No exaggerated accent.

8 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

This is an artificiality of Hollywood movies intended to make a character seem less like they come from California or New York. Which is funny because most US veterans from bumfuck can do Arabic pronunciation just fine. Anyone actually from "twang" country can recognize how stupid it sounds a mile away.

/.../
No exaggerated accent.

Yeah, i understand that it was supposed to be an accent, but it is still sounded way too much butchered for my ears. 

Funnily enough, Russian voice actor sounded more manly and imposing than Chris, haha.

Also, why "Crisp Rat"?

6 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Yeah, i understand that it was supposed to be an accent, but it is still sounded way too much butchered for my ears. 

Funnily enough, Russian voice actor sounded more manly and imposing than Chris, haha.

Also, why "Crisp Rat"?

Because he's a crisp rat.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/13/2021 at 7:18 PM, LoooSeR said:

Don't you like all the  S O F T R E B O O T S  of good movies?

It’s pretty bad. It tries to set up a bunch of emotional scenes but falls flat, it’s tone deaf (these are the kids of the one ghost buster who was romantically awkward… which either kills the joke, or makes this whole movie a joke), and it’s just flashy without substance. HOWEVER, I will mention that they do use some practical effects which I did like (when using the proton beam, there are practical pyrotechnics on the objects it hits), and Zuul and Vinz look pretty good imo, but doesn’t actually frighten me, while the old 1984 demon dogs will still give me anxiety. 

On 11/15/2021 at 1:19 AM, Sturgeon said:

I was not sure why so many people thought the soundtrack was mediocre, it was one of my favorite parts of the movie.

No complaints on my side either.

The one massive issue I had was that theatres were only showing it in 3D, and of course the shitty post-processing that they used to convert it made the beautiful cinematography muddy.

The only substantive complaint about the movie itself was that Paul didn't do the "give water to the dead" thing after his first fight. A small nitpick, but you're trying to establish that this character is still a kid out of his depth at this point. Instead he just ganks a man and moves on with his day while his would-be love interest looks worryingly aroused by the whole thing.

Edit: oh, and they did my man Gurney dirty in this one. Poor lad got better-looking (he's described in the book as looking more or less like a walking knuckle, with a livid scar running across most of his face) but lost his wits and the ability to sing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally watched The Boys 2nd season. 

First several series were slow and low on story progression, but once it picks up, it is becoming really good and engaging. 

Was expecting different story with Homelander, but i'm ok with character and his role in 2nd season.

"Main" villian was a bit cheesy, and her backstory was pushing it for me, but it didn't damaged overal impressions.

Would recommend to watch. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 2:18 AM, Sturgeon said:

No exaggerated accent.

Late to this party, but...

you're telling us that not only can Americans not do English, Scottish, Australian or South African accents, they can't even do American accents?

On 12/30/2021 at 8:01 PM, Toxn said:

you're telling us that not only can Americans not do English, Scottish, Australian or South African accents, they can't even do American accents?

They do pretty decent Hollywood Russian accent.

On 12/30/2021 at 12:01 PM, Toxn said:

Are you surprised that Americans cannot into culture, even their own? 

12 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Are you surprised that Americans cannot into culture, even their own? 

More that it confirms what I've heard (from a former actor) about Hollywood being a closed shop dominated by a remarkably small population of locals.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Watched Carter from Netflix with a friend.

It feels like early access game, but in a film form. Bunch of effects leave impression of placeholders. Needs a fucking patch, problems with effects and especially cuts were very visible and in your face. 

Movie begins with criminal action Jason Born like spy thrillers theme, but in the end it goes to North Korean general with minigun trying to kill main guy, who is jumping between flipping helicopters and kills everyone with a knife, hordes of North Korean zombies and CIA agents.

Should be watched only in groups, with some alcohol involved. Film is mostly action, have sometimes very good stunts, but shitty cuts between scenes, bizarre special effects, mad scenes where gravity was turned off will be a good source of jokes and laughs. 

For us a cooperative watch of this movie was nearly as enjoyable as some of Neil Breen creations watchthroughs.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

IMDb changes ratings after Little Mermaid backlash (msn.com) 

“Although we accept and consider all votes received by users, not all votes have the same impact (or ‘weight’) on the final rating. When unusual voting activity is detected, an alternate weighting calculation may be applied in order to preserve the reliability of our system.”

How Orwellian, I'm sure we're going to be seeing more of this kind of crap in the future.