Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The terrible movies and reviews thread

Toxn

• 3 weeks later...

I went to see Ad Astra the other day because sci-fi, it was pretty good but 1) the ending didn't fit and 2) it had glaring plot holes / general handwaves for plot purposes.

Spoiler

why is there sound in space in some scenes, what has tommy lee jones been eating all this time, how has muscle atrophy and radiation not affected him yet, why does he need to be out there why didn't he just send the data back to earth, why didn't he dispose of the bodies, how is radiation from this ship blasting all of earth but somehow not the people onboard, how is this radiation going to destroy the entire solar system, why did brad pitt have to go to mars to record a message, how did brad pitt get enough energy from one nuke to fly billions of miles back to earth while also not destroying the ship, why did the emp from a nuclear explosion not affect his ship, why are space shuttle which are constantly bombarded from radiation in space susceptible to this to begin with, why didn't he just land on mars instead, how did a monkey manage to kill an entire crew or punch through astronaut gear and why did it explode, why was this scene even included in the movie, why were the scientists who were shitting their pants during a power surge suddenly willing to fight brad pitt to the death in melee combat, why are there pirates on the fucking moon, why is there incredibly toxic gases stored in the crew compartment of a spaceship, why did brad pitt need a shield to fly through neptune's rings, how did he manage to even find his ship again, why couldn't his pod be manually docked, why is he rambling on in his psych evaluations like a lunatic when he knows the government does not want him on this mission, why did all the shuttles land in the most inefficient retarded way possible, I could keep going.

Apparently there were a lot of last minute changes to the script too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally watched Hard Boiled.

All action scenes were over the top and fun, parts in between - average, last action scene (almost whole hospital part) was a bit too much. Great action scenes there, but the whole thing is too long to the point of being exhausting.

9e002fab14b47707ac49f4a394722c28.jpg

On 12/14/2019 at 2:48 PM, LoooSeR said:

Finally watched Hard Boiled.

All action scenes were over the top and fun, parts in between - average, last action scene (almost whole hospital part) was a bit too much. Great action scenes there, but the whole thing is too long to the point of being exhausting.

9e002fab14b47707ac49f4a394722c28.jpg

so you could say they over cooked it :D 

... I’ll go back under my rock now... 

• 3 weeks later...

So i was thinking what is the best recent action movie i watched in last year and Raid short series comes to my mind first. Escape from Tarkov devs paid some money to unknown filmmakers to do their series of live action episodes based on their FPS. 

qdyA51M.jpg

Spoiler

Some of main actors.

tw1b0pv.jpg

3SlxLHT.jpg

uPyhRZ6.jpg

Series is based on game's lore (Tarkov city and areas around it in chaos after some events, 2 PMCs and scavenger/bandits are now fighting in abandoned city) but doesn't really go deep into the story (at least yet). Relatively to it's low budget, production is pretty good and combat scenes are great. Eng translation sadly can't convey great attention to details in dialogues/speech/slang which elevates whole experience by a lot.

B718MJv.jpg

Spoiler

During filming first episode

mv6qjnl.jpg

yt3twRH.jpg

JoVASpy.jpg

I like this series more than a lot of movies i watched in 2019. Just to name one - Raid was more interesting for me to follow than John Wick 3 or some of those endless Marvel movies.

This action series isn't perfect, first episode is the weakest IMO, limited budget and low experience of camera operator and director can be seen time to time, but as a whole it was very intense, in places very realistic, satisfying to watch. If you want to scratch that realistic-ish action movie itch, i can recommend this series for you. Also, combined, episodes got 3.5+ mln views (under 18 and 18+ versions). Currently there are three 10-15 minues episodes done, ~40 min in total. Eng subs are avaliable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Now something very unusual for Russian cinema industry. "Tourist" is a movie about battles of Russian PMC in Central African republic. Movie budget is pretty low, but whole thing was pretty smooth to watch for me.

Unusual parts are that a lot of actual equipment that was used in combat was also present in the movie, apparently real PMC members are in it, movie was shot in a country just after actual events were done. Was sown at NTV channel few days ago (no theatre release).

Trailer.

And whole thing is on Youtube (In Russian):

Spoiler

My opinion - significantly better as a movie compared to state-supported "blockbusters", even if it doesn't reach same quality of effects, CGI and similar. Story line would be better fit for 5-8 episode series, IMO, as it covers events in multiply towns.

Combat scenes were not as intense or well done as in EFT Raid series, but not terrible for a budget. PMC members seemed like they know how to shoot. Gear, locations and equipment was pretty great, added believability. Hell, in some places it looks like footage of real events, lol.

Overal surprisingly good B-budget movie (especially for direct-TV one), but have flows, most of which comes from low budget and short production time. Few of those flows were in choice of use of music in specific parts of movie that kind of undermined events on screen, some fight scenes direction, overused shakycam in few moments.

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Watched Sicario 1 and 2.

6440-1000x830.jpg

sicario-2-soldado-quad-poster.jpg?fit=1600%2C1200

I usually have no interest in criminal-themed movies, like complete 0, but was recomended those 2 about a month ago. I have to say that those 2 are pretty good, mix of thriller and action that gets into somewhat dark places. After too many Marvel comixfilms watched, those are rather fresh for me, tense and grounded.

First Sicario is somewhat better IMO compared to second one, as 2nd movie doesn't have proper ending and follows some of sctructural elements of 1st Sicario. Still, no regrets spending time with both films.

Spoiler

2d946ab1fbcbd2be5c9aff2ac8e2b241.jpg

sicario-naemnica-boevik.jpg

25d6b403f9c3fafb4c86fbc38c750d5f.jpg

Sicario-2-04.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Recently watched Zero Dark Thirty, 2012 movie about Ben Laden becoming dead. When it was in theaters i skipped it, as combination of short time after events when movie got to screens and theme made me think that it was PR film. After watching it i can say that i wasn't right, for the most part.

2/3rds of this film is dedicated to CIA operative who gather intel on UBL. 3rd part is assault on Ben Laden's house.

ZDT-3.jpg

Spoiler

ZDT-4.jpg

ZDT-5.jpg

ZDT-6.jpg

ZDT-7.jpg

Pros:
- "Naturalistic" enough and unvarnished/a bit more raw
- Not bad acting
- Shooting on location, working with props, makeup, etc., everything looks at a pretty decent level. Stealth helicopters from the film at one time surfaced on the Internet as real ones. Even the mansion was built for this film to do the famous raid scenes.
- Rade filmed pretty realistic for Hollywood. Some chunks could be inserted into a news report and almost no one would have noticed the catch. Some of the scenes were captured through a real NVG (but not all "green" scenes were filmed through it). 

There are disadvantages, of course:
- A film left me with impression of an attempt at "Oscar bait", or some other award. Monkeys in cages and other "metaphors", writing the number of days on the window of the head of the department, and other notable tricks from the category "I am an artist and I want a reward!"
- Half of the movie will be boring for part of the audience due to the slow storytelling
- There are almost no intrigues or unexpected discoveries, since the result is known
- Disadvantages in the episode with the "cleaning" of the mansion - the special forces "call" opponents by name, talk a lot, the soldiers wear bulletproof vests without plates, and other trifles. The filmed material could have been better edited, as in movie there is a feeling that the groups act "in turn", like in chess.

Overall, most of the film looked good, but one-off. I liked the mansion clearing part more than the other 2/3rds of the film.

ZDT-10.jpg

Spoiler

ZDT-11.jpg

ZDT-12.jpg

ZDT-13.jpg

ZDT-14.jpg

Military advisors left their marks - wrist watch is covered probably because of glow in the night

ZDT-16.jpg

Probably one of the first time quad NODs appeared in action film.

ZDT-17.jpg

Separately, I want to note the Russian voice acting - the voices were chosen better in our version than in the original, which was a funny discovery for me. The voice acting itself is a little better - for example, Chris Pratt in the original pronounced "Abrar" chewing all the letters in the word (accent?), haha, but in ours it was clear and understandable, with a better understandable intonation.

Although in the translation there are crooked moments, the most cutting for me was at the moment of crossing the border of Pakistan, in the original the CIA woman says that there is no radio exchange on the Pakistani side, i.e. intrusion into the airspace was not noticed, but in the translation she said "keep silence in Pakistan".

ZDT-19.jpg

Spoiler

ZDT-20.jpg

ZDT-22.jpg

ZDT-24.jpg

ZDT-25.jpg

ZDT-26.jpg

ZDT-27.jpg

ZDT-28.jpg

ZDT-30.jpg

ZDT-31.jpg

ZDT-32.jpg

ZDT-33.jpg

Friendly forces identification - chemlight thrown, IR laser under door as a respond.

ZDT-34.jpg

Real compound for a film was build in Jordan AFAIK.

ZDT-35.jpg

Watch your step!

ZDT-36.jpg

ZDT-37.jpg

ZDT-39.jpg

ZDT-40.jpg

ZDT-41.jpg

Meeting with locals

ZDT-42.jpg

Usama plz respond

ZDT-44.jpg

ZDT-45.jpg