Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Imperial Japanese Army and Navy Photos Thread (Tied's Upvote Farm)

Tied

dhsv1ry.jpg

>range of 200 miles 
>40kph top "engine will explode" speed 
>could be taken out by 7.62mm fire, let alone 12.7

Fun fact about the Type 94: The suspension wheels had the exact same diameter as the typical manchurian furrow.
It jumped repetively each time it crossed a rice field and a few minutes of that treatment were enough to make every crew member completely KO.

It was such a problem that they actually modified the tank, hence the bigger back wheel on the late models.

>range of 200 miles 

>40kph top "engine will explode" speed 
>could be taken out by 7.62mm fire, let alone 12.7

Fun fact about the Type 94: The suspension wheels had the exact same diameter as the typical manchurian furrow.
It jumped repetively each time it crossed a rice field and a few minutes of that treatment were enough to make every crew member completely KO.

It was such a problem that they actually modified the tank, hence the bigger back wheel on the late models.

... and it came from 1932. The modification only happened to use the remaining units as expeditionary and recon vehicles. The Type97 Te-Ke was the successor to the Type94's over all failure. 

... and it came from 1932. The modification only happened to use the remaining units as expeditionary and recon vehicles. The Type97 Te-Ke was the successor to the Type94's over all failure. 

fair enough, but most tankette's dont carry the reputation of being lethal to their own crew 

Where did you hear that? Thats news to me...

This has been a common canard repeated in firearms and WW2 history magazines for years. You can do your own Google searching but it isn't hard to find gems like this.

http://gunsmagazine.com/small-arms-of-the-rising-sun/

Some Type 38 rifles and most Type 99s were issued with a folding wire monopod. Also all rifles and carbines until late in the war were issued with circular sliding dust covers shielding their actions. Both monopods and dust covers are relatively rare on Japanese rifles and carbines today because hetai and rikusentai, just as combat troops worldwide, tended to toss away any item they deemed worthless.

I stopped there... 

*Shrug*

I wouldn't call their small arms "high quality" but for the most part they weren't absolutely shit either. We've had some discussions on this earlier I believe on this forum.

What was crap was the logistics and leadership of the Japanese from the general staff all the way down to company and platoon level.

eLnpoDx.jpg

Jap RPG, the original JRPG heh heh, translation would be appreciated

cIhwyOY.jpg

\

Looks like a paratrooper judging by headgear

kmY7akW.jpg

Captured Soviet Weapons from border conflict (japs got their asses handed to them, ZHUKOV STRONK)

That's not exactly an impressive haul.

About those burning Jap planes. When I was still playing IL-2 Sturmovik, Jap planes were 'famous' for their "ten-second burn". When they caught on fire, they'd burn for approximately 10 seconds, after which they'd explode.

I'm wondering whether it's even remotely true or not, but I can't really find anything on it. (Or I'm just not searching in the right places)

About those burning Jap planes. When I was still playing IL-2 Sturmovik, Jap planes were 'famous' for their "ten-second burn". When they caught on fire, they'd burn for approximately 10 seconds, after which they'd explode.

I'm wondering whether it's even remotely true or not, but I can't really find anything on it. (Or I'm just not searching in the right places)

It depends what aircraft you're talking about. The 10 second burn is a myth made by the US to reference their burn notoriety. The A6M series didn't have a specific burn to explode ratio, it varied.