Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Anyway, dumb idea but, with the LWMMG thing and companies trying to make a machine gun between .308 and .50 BMG in power.... WHY NOT ZOIDBERG Cheytac?!

I think with the really considerable accuracy and flat trajectory of the .408 and .375 Cheytac rounds, and the new AP round they make for it which is actually quite a thing (Yeah, it cheats by having a better designed jacket and a tungsten core over the M8's steel and lead cased core, but it still performs quite well.), It could probably fill the niche they're going for better then .338 Norma Magnum while still being considerably smaller then a trimmed down M2HB or some shit.

http://www.cheytac.com/2015/11/30/a-novel-armor-piercing-ap-projectile-design/

They get alot of shit wrong about the history and current state of AP design, but the test results look promising.

.375 Chey Tac is forcing a rather lot of gunpowder down a narrow-ish tube.  There might be issues with throat erosion in an MG.

(No, I have no idea how 14.5 gets away with it)

.375 Chey Tac is forcing a rather lot of gunpowder down a narrow-ish tube.  There might be issues with throat erosion in an MG.

(No, I have no idea how 14.5 gets away with it)

14.5x114mm gets away with it with it with legendary Leninist magic of indestructible steel enchantment, god, don't you know anything?

But in all seriousness, I think .408 would be the better of the 2 for it, but I added .375 since one of the requirements GD did for their version was being able to hit targets out to a rather ridiculous range for a man portable LMG, something like 1,800m or some shit, and while both rounds have a pretty stellar reputation for being exceptionally accurate, the .375 might fit better if that's what they're going for.

(I think .408 would be better because of the payload capacity of the rounds in the event they would do such a thing for reference.)

Annnnd after watching, I don't disagree with any of your points.

Here's the weird thing tho...  I still want a Thompson.

Yep, overrated and heavy as fuck.  Still freakin' cool.

Shoot one.

Shoot one for decades.

You'll understand why you want one. Absurdly reliable contrivance possessing an often equally absurd level of fit and finish.

You could easily present a Colt M1928 Commercial in base finish as "art".

Shoot one.

Shoot one for decades.

You'll understand why you want one. Absurdly reliable contrivance possessing an often equally absurd level of fit and finish.

You could easily present a Colt M1928 Commercial in base finish as "art".

I live in Canuckistan. Best chance I have of shooting one is to go visit Battlefield Vegas.