Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Finding a book featuring south korean K1 88 tank

delfosisyu

On 12/20/2018 at 3:53 AM, delfosisyu said:

6M1_146_1.JPG

Not to be fussy or anything, but there are some errors in this text.  It should read "AVCR-1790 diesel engine, not "AVCT-1790."  AVCR stands for Aircooled, variable compression piston.  Also, where it says "AVCT-1790", it should say "AVDS-1790".  AVDS stands for Air-cooled Vee configuration Diesel Supercharged.  Also, while I know about the Teledyne Continental "Super M60" program, I have never heard of the "General Dynamics High Performance M60 MBT project."  General Dynamics had zero interest in upgrading the M60 and really disliked the fact that Teledyne Continental had created the Super-60 because it was considered unwelcome competition to General Dynamics Abrams tank in the time period addressed in the book.

Anyhow, the AVCR-1790 took the variable compression ratio technology developed for the ill fated AVCR-1360 engine of the MBT-70 and General Motors rejected XM-1 prototype and applied it to the older AVDS-1790 engine of the M60 series.  The introduction of VCR to the 1790 got the engine up to 1200 HP, although from what I understand, the prototype suffered a pretty serious failure during testing in South Korea.  Teledyne abandoned the AVCR-1790, replacing it with the AVDS-1790-9, which achieved 1200HP by introducing aftercoolers to the turbochargers with conventional pistons.  Incidentally, Teledyne Continental promotional materials for the Super M60 list either engine, depending on what date they were published.  The AVDS-1790-9 would go on to see service in the Israeli Merkava III and the Namer APC.

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Not to be fussy or anything, but there are some errors in this text.  It should read "AVCR-1790 diesel engine, not "AVCT-1790."  AVCR stands for Aircooled, variable compression piston.  Also, where it says "AVCT-1790", it should say "AVDS-1790".  AVDS stands for Air-cooled Vee configuration Diesel Supercharged.  Also, while I know about the Teledyne Continental "Super M60" program, I have never heard of the "General Dynamics High Performance M60 MBT project."  General Dynamics had zero interest in upgrading the M60 and really disliked the fact that Teledyne Continental had created the Super-60 because it was considered unwelcome competition to General Dynamics Abrams tank in the time period addressed in the book.

Anyhow, the AVCR-1790 took the variable compression ratio technology developed for the ill fated AVCR-1360 engine of the MBT-70 and General Motors rejected XM-1 prototype and applied it to the older AVDS-1790 engine of the M60 series.  The introduction of VCR to the 1790 got the engine up to 1200 HP, although from what I understand, the prototype suffered a pretty serious failure during testing in South Korea.  Teledyne abandoned the AVCR-1790, replacing it with the AVDS-1790-9, which achieved 1200HP by introducing aftercoolers to the turbochargers with conventional pistons.  Incidentally, Teledyne Continental promotional materials for the Super M60 list either engine, depending on what date they were published.  The AVDS-1790-9 would go on to see service in the Israeli Merkava III and the Namer APC.

It does say this was published 1989, so the info might not have been available at that time? 

3 hours ago, Lord_James said:

It does say this was published 1989, so the info might not have been available at that time? 

It was, they just made some mistakes.  The Teledyne Continental engine nomenclature was widely known at that point.  Heck, the basic AVDS-1790 went into service in 1960.  Hunnicutt's book on the Patton series of tanks was published in 1984, so they really don't have an excuse.