Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Kimchi armoured vehicles: K1, K2, K21 and other AFVs from Worse Korea

Zadlo

A ROK T-80U from a photo shoot in the late 90s or thereabouts. This tank is still in it's as delivered camo pattern and not the now more commonly seen ROK-style MERDC camo that you see most ROK AFVs, including the T-80Us and BMP-3s using.

EfGXQGvWAAEhACj?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

EfGXLLsWkAIHosd?format=jpg&name=large

EfGXpRrX0AU0IIB?format=jpg&name=large

EfGXGUuXgAAslm6?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Cleb
Adjusted wording since it is a single T-80U and not multiple

On 11/24/2020 at 1:21 AM, Zadlo said:

I'm interested how good K21 would be as a torch in engagements against North Korean armour with such a lot composites in a structure.

EngVOkOWEAMSs5n?format=jpg&name=medium

DEFENSE STUDIES: Flaws in K21 Design Confirmed (defense-studies.blogspot.com)

point is, K21 is meant to swim, so it can't be that heavily protected.

presumably good sensors and great firepower should be +ve

north and south korea is an artillary location,  other kinetic threats are of a less prioritised nature.

According to most on the Korean side of the internet, the K21 is resistant to 30mm APDS from the front and 14.5mm AP at the sides and rear.

If this is true or not I don't know but there is footage of one of the ROK BMP-3s firing an unidentified type of AP ammo at a K21 target (https://gfycat.com/PowerlessNaiveCowrie). The 14.5mm AP could also make sense due to the very wide usage of 14.5mm HMGs that the North Koreans use though I haven't seen any sort of solid evidence for me to say with certainty that this protection level is true.

There also has been research done to up the protection levels of the K21s though including additional composite armor blocks (Ceramics and NERA) and net armor though it usually comes at the cost of the amphibious capability the K21 has. 

djaskJV.jpg

On 11/26/2020 at 12:41 PM, Kal said:

point is, K21 is meant to swim, so it can't be that heavily protected.

K21 has very heavy turret. Fire support version with XC-8 105HP turret is 600 to 1000 kg lighter than basic IFV.

That's why they had to use composites in the structure.

Something that's fairly old (2009) but is interesting nonetheless. South Korea messed around with a camo system similar to that of the Saab Barracuda on the XK2 and K9 though I have only seen one picture of it mounted on the former that isn't a scale model. Not entirely sure what happened to the program though it's probably safe to assume it was quietly shelved.

LFhe8ir.jpg

32NgUOF.jpg

Spoiler

APPwZuf.jpg

nNp3CuJ.jpg

eFO5ldD.jpg

DCvz3FG.jpg

Edited by Cleb
Fixed image links

K1 test vehicle equipped with a muffler system to reduce sound. This prototype configuration was tested around 2006. 

bbGZMBz.jpg

Spoiler

nXEkSVu.jpg

K1s of the Army Armor School using a setup derived from the prototype.

yJaBPFP.jpg

Spoiler

vTPxD84.jpg

TjXi9ct.jpg

8hHKWzw.jpg

Zrcqpfw.jpg

Edited by Cleb
Slight correction on the picture caption

21 hours ago, Cleb said:

K1 test vehicle equipped with a muffler system to reduce sound. This prototype configuration was tested around 2006. 

bbGZMBz.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

nXEkSVu.jpg

K1s of the Army Armor School using a setup derived from the prototype.

yJaBPFP.jpg

Hide contents

vTPxD84.jpg

TjXi9ct.jpg

8hHKWzw.jpg

Zrcqpfw.jpg

Honey does this make my butt look big?

Just as a sort of continuation from the K1 mufflers, here is a K2 with a similar muffler system.

I can't find the rest of the pictures from this event, none have turned up when I looked. Regardless it may have been a one off for testing or maybe even more specific for this event that the picture was taken with considerations for the noise being taken into account.

FdYcJ6D.jpg

Going back a bit to something that Scolopax posted on February the 10th in the General AFV Thread.

This image was posted with a question being asked as to when it was taken

27b78dcaeac6358bdb51ec948a8acce0.jpg

One of the captions on a photo that I have from that event (using machine translators) says something along the lines of "On June 19th, 1997, tank units of the Capital Defense Command conduct a tactical training exercise at the Yongmunsan General Training Center in preparation against any provocation from the enemy."

fIqFK44.jpg 

(Some more photos from this event)

Spoiler

T1hfDgX.jpg

gSmc9sZ.jpg

FhuL92G.jpg

YzcZqzI.jpg