Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

18 hours ago, Alzoc said:

Apparently^^

It's true that I hadn't heard of the project in a long time so I though it had been abandoned or was stuck in limbo.

They're using one of the propulsion props to counteract the torque from the makn rotor, which means one side of the aircraft has to be producing much more thrust than the other. They also are adding these propulsion props to a helicopter whose rotor will still will experience retreating blade stall, and you can only offload that so much. My guess is top speed will still be well under 300mph. Very lame!

6 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

They're using one of the propulsion props to counteract the torque from the makn rotor, which means one side of the aircraft has to be producing much more thrust than the other. They also are adding these propulsion props to a helicopter whose rotor will still will experience retreating blade stall, and you can only offload that so much. My guess is top speed will still be well under 300mph. Very lame!

It may be inefficient but the concept proved that the 300 mph line is not out of reach (if barely).

The previous demonstrator X3  using roughly the same architecture reached a speed of 293 mph (472 km/h) in level flight and 303 mph (488 km/h) in descent :

https://www.wired.com/2013/06/eurocopter-x3-speed-record/

That was back in 2013, but as I said, I didn't really followed the project nor other high-speed helicopters projects.

It is likely that they could breach the 300 mph line with the RACER (that's barely 12 km/h faster than what the X3 achieved), the question is by how much and with how much growth potential past the 300 mph.

As for retreating blade stall, as I understand it the winglets are supposed to generate lift to alleviate those issues.

Which would mean the winglets are asymmetrical or maybe that the asymmetrical thrust on the propellers is part of that?

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...