Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Collimatrix's Terrible Music Thread

Collimatrix

• 2 weeks later...

I'm somewhat surprised that occultist-WWII rocket engineer Jack Parsons hasn't seemed to be mentioned here at SH. He helped develop the SM-64 Navajo nuclear cruise missile and tried to spawn an anti-Christ with L. Ron Hubbard. 

Here's his biography in song form via one of John Lennon's spawn and the guy from Primus:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 9:34 AM, LoooSeR said:

I guess I’ll say it: it’s not as good as the 2016 soundtrack. None of the tracks really stand out to me, unlike the original’s “Rip and Tear” “Damnation” “BFG Division” or even the short “At Doom’s Gate”. A lot of the notes used also sound a little to electronic/synthetic, and the base is notably reduced. Also, this soundtrack starts with what could be considered ambiance music, unlike 2016’s opening being a short monologue and then directly into some of the best metal I’ve ever heard. 

16 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

I guess I’ll say it: it’s not as good as the 2016 soundtrack. None of the tracks really stand out to me, unlike the original’s “Rip and Tear” “Damnation” “BFG Division” or even the short “At Doom’s Gate”. A lot of the notes used also sound a little to electronic/synthetic, and the base is notably reduced. Also, this soundtrack starts with what could be considered ambiance music, unlike 2016’s opening being a short monologue and then directly into some of the best metal I’ve ever heard. 

I do agree an all points here. 2016 soundtrack was better for my taste. 

Another pretty good metal soundtrack, some of my favorites being “Inferno” (4:21), “Devil”, and “Phobos Anomaly”. Names and times of specific tracks are in the description of the video. 

Also, some of Mick Gordon’s previous work: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 10:28 PM, Lord_James said:

Heh

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm very interested in the fact that, aside from the obvious language differences, a bunch of the bands in the Soviet underground scene may as well have been bands in the late apartheid underground scene. I think there are a bunch of reasons for it - the same influences, the lack of recording equipment and limited instruments leading to a lo-fi feel and so on. But I suspect a big part of it is that, when singing might lead to jail time, you tend to end up with a certain type of singer.

• 2 weeks later...

Something that was on a CD in my parent's car.

Used to listen to it every time we did a long trip and we cycled through all the CDs that were in the car.

Kind of a nostalgia feel but I always liked the voice of this artist and only dived back into it recently.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

In the ocean of "X react to Y" crap, here is pretty good Youtube channel about music. Guy that reacts to tracks is professional composer in movie industry, so he have some knowledge and skills to break down interesting parts of music. Started to watch him very recently, but would like to share for those who are interested in this kind of content. Short but dense on info videos about video games OST is his format. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, as I was looking around for music to fill the empty silence, and bored of the more mainstream songs (and radio), I found a site called the Extreme Music Library. Basically, they’re a publishing site, with lots of composers, singers, musicians, and the like, and supposedly backed with several established musicians and singers (you can look for yourself on their site). Lots of songs and talent, which is what I’ve brought here. I stumbled onto this while looking through recommended after I finished listening to my first album, which I might post later if the reception to this isn’t cold. I’m going to format this as:

Track number: Name

Youtube video 

Some lyrics, typically the chorus, in italics

My thoughts

With my favorite roughly 1/3rd of the album at the top, open, and arranged in order of my liking. The remaining songs will be in a spoiler together (this doesn’t mean they’re bad, they just weren’t my favorites).

So, with that said, let me introduce the Epic Rock 2 album. The album as a whole is an 8.5/10 (to me), with some great sounds and a wide array of sub-genres, all packed up into one neat little package. 

Track 13: Hurricane

And as you’re waiting, for the remedy

On the horizon, all you can see

Is a hurricane

And you can’t get away

It’s a hurricane

You’ll remember the day

You were blown away

My favorite song in the album. Lots of strings and backing vocals like a choir make it sound orchestral and grand (having lived through several large hurricanes, it’s quite fitting). If you look this song up on youtube (Hurricane epic rock 2), there's another video with an interesting picture that you may want to hide from your significant other :ph34r:

Track 9: Cold Light

But the cold light of morning

Brought her its warning

Calling her home

As she walked through the daylight

Silent but inside

Heavy like a stone

My old favorite song from this album, and what turned my attention to this album in the first place. Dark and brooding, paced well, and lyrics that tell a story, set this one apart from most of the other tracks.

Track 3: Everything New

You, yeah you do

You make everything new

And far, though you are

You’re stuck to my heart

I’m stuck to your heart

Like glue

Great song to sit back and relax to. Voice reminds me of Alanis Morissette. It’s a love song, plain and simple, and I like it.

Track 12: Tear it Down

Just turn it up, and tear it down

You can’t stop this, you can’t stop this now

Break it up, and tear it down

You can’t stop this, you can’t stop this now

Short and sweet. Riffs are great, and the composers have 2 more songs in this album that are great (both fight for 5th place).

Track 4: One Day

Show me, something, more

Just for one day

Let’s start again

Don’t be afraid

Darlin don’t break this heart again

This track fights for 5th place with another song by the same 2 guys, with the winner being decided by my mood at the time (I’m in a good mood, and trying to relax, so this song wins). Another love song, with music that swells and flows nicely.

Spoiler

Track 1: Moment to Shine

Break free

Stand beside me

This is our moment, to shine

Rise up

Lift your eyes up

This is our moment, to shine

Nothing much to say except it’s good: I like the voice and instruments (I would like to point out the piano, strings, and synths that are used, which add a nice flavor), and the lyrics are uplifting; but it doesn’t really grab me like some of the other songs in the album.

Track 2: Under the Gun

Love keeps me sane

I call your name

I just can’t help it

I’m losing again

Wooh ooh, oh oh, oh ooh

Life’s got me under the gun

Good track. Lyrics are a little repetitive, but the music is great.

Track 5: Let it Go

When the shadow of the fading sun

Lies heavy on his sign

The king of sinners wears the crown

Of a wasted mind

So let it go

Just let it go

Let it go

No, not the fucking frozen song, you heathen. Some nice, bass-y rock, with good lyrics. Would definitely recommend a listen, for those of you who like hard rock and metal.

Track 6: Find our way home

Where do we run

Where do we hide

We’re right back where we started from

Right back on that line

We find our way home

Sounds like a song out of a “coming of age” film: It’s good, but nothing much else to say.

Track 7: Get Started 

Get up, get up

Let’s get it started

Come on, come on

We’re gonna throw it down

Get up, get up

It’s what you gotta do

More motivational music, making my miserable days more manageable. Same singer as track 1 (“Moment to shine”, which I liked), and similar instruments and sounds.

Track 8: Take my Soul

Ooooh, uh oh, ooh

Take my soul

Cause I don’t even need it

Ooooh, uh oh, ooh

Show me truth

A truth that I believe in

A shortie, but goodie. Same 2 musicians that made Track 4 (One day) and track 12 (Tear it down), which might explain why those 2 songs are fighting for 5th place. Having no soul myself, this song resonates with me on a gut level.

Track 10: Victory

There’s a heavy hand

Weighing on your shoulder

There’s no better time to breath

We’ve got everything and nothing at all

We have nothing left to fear

We want victory

Good song. Repetitive, but sounds like it could be used in a high octane video game commercial for a battle royal game like PUBG.

Track 11: Never hold us down

I, fall from grace

Holding out faith

As I, Burn

Tire and fade

Wither in pain

And I

Breath out now

Scream out loud

We will go on, on

Never hold us down

Pretty good. Nothing much to say about it.

Track 14: Won’t take that away

Cos we dare to believe

Be who we wanna be

They won’t take that away from us

They won’t take that away

Good song with pleasing background strings and uplifting lyrics.