Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Collimatrix's Terrible Music Thread

Collimatrix

So, I'm snowbound in a little motel in Rawlins, WY.  It's a dinky, creaky old place with no internet, no running water, and it's built on an old Indian burial ground.  Anyway, I was thinking about music.  I listened to The Pierce's Thirteen Tales of Love and Revenge on the way down here, end to end.  Holy crap, this is a superb album.  Allison and Catherine Pierce are both excellent singers with some really excellent harmonies (but not so often it gets dull).  Instrumentation and melodies are varied too, but not so much it feels thrown together.

And wow, the lyrics.  The probity of the album's concept is immaculate.  It oozes jealousy, loss, lust and toxic sexuality worthy of an opera.  A taste:

Continuing the theme of albums named "Thirteen Tales of ___", here are the Dandy Warhols:

This is layers of reference and self-parody; the Dandy Warhols are a reference to Andy Warhol and by extension the band he managed, the Velvet Underground.  The Velvet Underground is the ur-hipster band; edgy, unknown, widely imitated.  Unimpeachable artistic integrity.  The entire song is Stuff White People Like before there was a Stuff White People Like.  It's like a big hipster onion, only the simile breaks down because when I cut hipsters with a knife, I don't cry.

Also, boobies.

I couldn't find a song from the Warhols I really liked that had a video that had Zia McCabe in it, so you'll just have to trust me when I say that early '90s Zia McCabe was cute as a button.

tumblr_m3abevveiS1qawlwvo1_400.gif

Or I could just post that.

Tonight I found this youtube clip of Johnny Cash performing "Waltzing Matilda."  It all started when I was looking at a PDF of a 1942 British pamphlet called "British Tanks - What they look like, How they work, and what they can do."  They kept calling the Matilda tank the "Waltzing Matilda" so I felt obliged to look up the damn song on youtube.  Seems Australians are rather fond of the tune. 

Waltzing%2BMatilda.jpg

Continuing the theme of albums named "Thirteen Tales of ___", here are the Dandy Warhols:

This is layers of reference and self-parody; the Dandy Warhols are a reference to Andy Warhol and by extension the band he managed, the Velvet Underground.  The Velvet Underground is the ur-hipster band; edgy, unknown, widely imitated.  Unimpeachable artistic integrity.  The entire song is Stuff White People Like before there was a Stuff White People Like.  It's like a big hipster onion, only the simile breaks down because when I cut hipsters with a knife, I don't cry.

Also, boobies.

I couldn't find a song from the Warhols I really liked that had a video that had Zia McCabe in it, so you'll just have to trust me when I say that early '90s Zia McCabe was cute as a button.

tumblr_m3abevveiS1qawlwvo1_400.gif

Or I could just post that.

Heh heh heh, Tits 

Just a little bit of Lil' Brezhnev.

I cry everytime 

Crom! I've never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you will remember if we liked metal, or punk. Why we moshed, or why we went to the ICU. No, all that matters is that metal stood against noise; that's what's important. Metal pleases you, Crom... So grant me one request. Grant me sick tunes! And if you do not listen to metal, then to Hell with you!

Behemoth:

Ne Obliviscaris:

Blind Guardian:

The Agonist:

Agalloch:

Demons & Wizards:

Epica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU_iHC7EoM0

In Flames:

Intronaut:

Nightwish:

Sanctuary:

Soilwork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzD3FTEioNs

The Sword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDBEJiM8j18

My favorite aria is the immortal Habanera from Bizet's Carmen.  Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen from Die Zauberflöte is a close second.

This is one of the all-time best earworms ever written.  A lot of people can get this song stuck in their head and they don't even know what it's called.

But, if they are in Spain, why are they singing in French?

For modern popular music, I really, really dig Bruno Mars and his recent collaboration with Mark Ronson. I only began paying attention to Mars last year after I found that he was headlining the Super Bowl Halftime Show (Go Hawks) and was suitably impressed with his retro sound and James Brown-like performance. I dig MoTown and Funk, having spent hours of my youth listening to used vinyls that my dad bought and resold in his junk business. I long for the days when African Americans artists produced innovative music with a big sound like the Temptations, Earth Wind and Fire or The Supremes.

Now Mars and Crew haven't reached those lofty heights yet but I'm more than happy to support musicians who can actually play an instrument and lay down a funky beat without having to sample other musicians or bray into an Auto-Tune.

If it takes a Puerto Rican/Filipino/Ashkenazi Jew and an Englishman who can lay down a slick tune like this when contemporary artists are producing lyrics like "eenie meenie, minie moe, I wreck da mic like a pimp pimps hoes" the so be it. I look forward to a future where rap is regarded as an embarrassing epoch in American culture.