Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Make him madder by pointing out the T6b, which is fired from another .22 cartridge with very similar size and power as the SCAMP's performs better then 9mm and .45 JHPs in ballistic gel, silicone and clay out of a pistol length barrel and can penetrate Level IIIA on top of that.

Also, Wolfgar strikes again.

The reason the STI and other high capacity 1911 high capacity pistols are favored by competition shooters is because there is no other handgun that can match it. Gun smiths work on Glocks as much or more as they do on 1911 designs. Glock competitors try to get that 1911 trigger feel because there is no better trigger. Are there more practical pistols for the military than the 1911, yes but lets give the old design it's credit.

Yes, there's no other gun that can match it in a competitive shooting setting.

Which is why the CZ-75 and it's derivatives happen to be the most favored design by IPSC champions.

You guys know Krieg from Borderlands 2?

I like to imagine these people are like that, with a sane voice in their head going "Just tell them that you love the 1911 because it looks cool and has an interesting history, and there's just something you enjoy about it despite its faults, and for God's sake, don't yell the word 'poop' at the top of your lungs."

You guys know Krieg from Borderlands 2?

I like to imagine these people are like that, with a sane voice in their head going "Just tell them that you love the 1911 because it looks cool and has an interesting history, and there's just something you enjoy about it despite its faults, and for God's sake, don't yell the word 'poop' at the top of your lungs."

And this would eliminate 45 percent of the arguments on gun forums, social media, YouTube gun channels and websites.

Now if only you were a Marine Corp drill instructor who did three tours in 'Nam, served on LA Swat team and consults for three different gun companies.

The ultimate argument has been made:

OscBauP.png

By the way, in regards to this guy.

077b05e22c6e91fecd621624957bf6f0.png

You can easily call him out on his bullshit for one simple lie in his statement, which is that there's no actual rating for .45 ACP +P+ and no one at all loads it or claims to.

There's .45 Super which would be in +p+ territory and has the same external case dimensions, but considering he didn't even use that name I doubt he even knows it exists.

•  
    Mystick a day ago

You keep speaking muzzle velocity, placing the 5.56 on a pedestal, but the 7.62, even at 20 percent less velocity has more impact energy - derived from both velocity and mass - than the 5.56 does nominally. I have to question the knowledge of the author in how things work in the physical Newtonian universe...

I have to question if he even understands this whole "English Reading Comprehension Universe."

Fuck that sounds retarded.

•  
    Mysticka day ago

You keep speaking muzzle velocity, placing the 5.56 on a pedestal, but the 7.62, even at 20 percent less velocity has more impact energy - derived from both velocity and mass - than the 5.56 does nominally. I have to question the knowledge of the author in how things work in the physical Newtonian universe...

I have to question if he even understands this whole "English Reading Comprehension Universe."

Fuck that sounds retarded.

Fluid dynamics is hard.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/08/26/world-record-4380-yard-shot/

I know I'd probably never be able to even hit a target at even a third or fourth of this distance, let alone a moving one, but this actually makes me want a super high end bolt action rifle in .375 or .408 Cheytac even more. (I know the previous claimed record was done with a .408 at 3,400 meters.)

Edit: yeah, here's the video of the prior in Russkaland with subtitles, rifle was a customized Lobaev SVLK-14 C using their own customized .408 projectile designs as opposed to Cheytac's.

http://lobaevarms.com/blog/world-record-at-3720-yards-3400m-how-it-was/

OK, so I had an idea for an ongoing project for TFB that I wanted to use this forum as a test audience for run by the forum. The idea is to shamelessly rip off adapt Chris Baker's "Wheelgun Wednesday" concept of only shooting revolvers for a year, but instead do something similar with the M1 Garand. We all kinda know that the M1 isn't a competitive military rifle today, but what would using one in a modern environment be like, anyway?

So while I wouldn't be as dedicated as Chris and wouldn't shoot the M1 exclusively, I would take it to the range a lot more and try to develop some skills for using it in practical shooting scenarios, and also try out different kinds of gear and equipment to maybe make it better. I probably wouldn't be taking it to any courses, like Chris did with revolvers, but if I could find some kind of matches around here I might do that. Alternately, I can just set up timed scenarios for myself.

At the end of the project, I would lay out what I've learned, and try to create an assessment of whether I thought the M1 was a more or less effective rifle than I thought when I begin, and also discuss what I thought made it better, or worse.

While this has a "practical" bent to it, it really would just be for fun, and also to try to learn more about the M1 as a system and maybe appreciate it more. Do you guys think you'd enjoy reading something like that, or not?