Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

I seriously hope the beavertail is blended better than the example pictured.  I suspect that they merely recycled the frame from a Para-Ord Elite LS Hunter, and added the current Remington R1 Enhanced grip safety without any additional blending to the frame tang. 

Yeah, that shit looks like it would start to dig into your hand pretty fast, mainly after some full strength loadings.

I guess It might not be too bad since, as more of a wilderness sidearm, it probably won't be fired that many times over the course of a day when you use it?

Quite liked this video:

I got probably a dozen emails about that one telling me I'm wrong... somehow. The amount of people denying math and simple physics is hilarious.

My favorite is a dude that emailed me saying my comparisons using 9mm is unfair, and I should have compared the rifle to .45acp instead.

I got probably a dozen emails about that one telling me I'm wrong... somehow. The amount of people denying math and simple physics is hilarious.

My favorite is a dude that emailed me saying my comparisons using 9mm is unfair, and I should have compared the rifle to .45acp instead.

And even if you had, and gotten the same result (as 9mm and .45 have almost exactly the same muzzle energy), they wouldn't have believed you.

Pfft.

Undeniable proof of .45 ACP master race Dominance over puny 9mm Europellet!

(It's so good even an H&K gun can't ruin it!)

Small arms long-term durability from Battlefield Vegas:

Summary:

-AKs do well in general, but the return spring needs to be replaced every 10k rounds or so.  The rear trunnion will break on stamped AKs.  Milled AKs will shoot out their barrels before any other structural components fail.

-Piston ARs don't fare particularly better than DI models, save for the 416.  The first thing to break in an AR is apparently the hammer spring.

-SCARs are nearly invincible.

-Glocks lose their trigger return springs first (others have noted this too).

-1911 safeties break off, and the hammer/sear interface wears down until it becomes unusable.  Don't buy 1911s.

-M249s apparently hold up pretty well too.

It sounds like extractor springs and return springs are generally lifed parts that need to be routinely replaced in all designs.  Nothing surprising there.

Wilhelm Bubits, notable for inventing the Glock three times, has stated that hand-cycling a pistol would basically never wear out the return spring.  Only when the slide is accelerated rapidly by the round being touched off is it actually moving fast enough to put fatigue cycles on the spring.  This would suggest that making the moving parts group heavier and slowing it down would improve the life of the return spring, but there are practical limits on how heavy the moving parts group can be made.

Yep.  SCAR-L also has ridiculous amounts of overtravel.  Relative to other automatic rifles it doesn't seem to do anything in a hurry, but by god it does get done.

You'll have to take a look at our MG-42/M53 receiver kit sometime.  It's remarkable how beefy everything has to be to survive the BCG cycling at 1000 RPM for the long term.

Oh hell, I had forgotten how dumb that movie was.  He's blind, but he can kill everyone because the power of Jesus...or something.

Hey, If I wanted to watch a movie for the plot, it really wouldn't be an action movie.

They should just rename it "Denzel Washington brutally murders the shit out of people for 2 hours."

Lol.

I spent so much money making that review. It will never recoup the costs of a shit pistol and the amount of ammo I shot.

The Galil however is, in my opinion, the greatest AK variant ever made. I mean holy fuck, that gun blew my fucking mind. Not only is it reliable and ergonomic as fuck, but the accuracy was on par with the CMMG mutant I tested. I was shooting legitimate 1.5 moa groups consistently with a 4x optic.

The polymer lower acts like a jet funnel so mags rock in like a boss (no mag lock experienced), the trigger is a solid 6 pound pull, the sights hold zero if you remove and reattach the dust cover, and it just shoots like a fucking dream.

Lol.

I spent so much money making that review. It will never recoup the costs of a shit pistol and the amount of ammo I shot.

The Galil however is, in my opinion, the greatest AK variant ever made. I mean holy fuck, that gun blew my fucking mind. Not only is it reliable and ergonomic as fuck, but the accuracy was on par with the CMMG mutant I tested. I was shooting legitimate 1.5 moa groups consistently with a 4x optic.

The polymer lower acts like a jet funnel so mags rock in like a boss (no mag lock experienced), the trigger is a solid 6 pound pull, the sights hold zero if you remove and reattach the dust cover, and it just shoots like a fucking dream.

That is extremely high praise.

Even before I had ever shot it, I have been saying the ACE was IWI's real winner product for a couple of years now. It's pretty much the only new military firearm available for countries that want to use surplus AK mags and ammo.