Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Lol.

I spent so much money making that review. It will never recoup the costs of a shit pistol and the amount of ammo I shot.

The Galil however is, in my opinion, the greatest AK variant ever made. I mean holy fuck, that gun blew my fucking mind. Not only is it reliable and ergonomic as fuck, but the accuracy was on par with the CMMG mutant I tested. I was shooting legitimate 1.5 moa groups consistently with a 4x optic.

The polymer lower acts like a jet funnel so mags rock in like a boss (no mag lock experienced), the trigger is a solid 6 pound pull, the sights hold zero if you remove and reattach the dust cover, and it just shoots like a fucking dream.

Sturg once asked me why Zuid Afrika went for a galil clone in the R4/R5. I think my answer was something along the lines of 'because troepie could fuck up an anvil'.

Good to see that the rep is deserved for once.

I am currently in an argument with Tim Yahn over whether the heavy ball 5.8mm load is called "DBP-88" or "DVP-88", which is an odd argument to have, because I am given to understand these rounds are not designated in the Roman alphabet.

In fact, I don't know if there's a distinction between "v" and "b" in Mandarin at all. So... Paging Mech?

Romanization often presents these problems. One translator could have used Wade-Giles, whereas another used the Yale system or... like one of the 4 or 5 more.

You often get minor spelling differences depending on the system used, and a "v" to "b" switch is not uncommon.

.45 probably gets along well with the hesitation lock, since it has low pressure.

But I know hesitation locks have been tested in 7.62x51mm (or some early test version thereof).

Of all the self-loading breech mechanisms, hesitation locking is the hardest to find information on.  I found a really good book from Brassey's on automatic weapons design that devoted all of one sentence to it.

Nice, who made that?

I'm aware of how hesitation locking works.  I've spent a fair amount of time looking at the Pedersen and SIG and US Army Ordnance patents on hesitation locked breeches.

But go to any books on automatic weapons design, looking for a rundown of the practical issues, pros and cons of hesitation locking?  You'll get crickets.  The most I've ever seen on the matter is in Hatcher's Notebook where he raves about how amazing the Remington 53 was and how much more controllable it was than the 1911 due to lack of elastic rebound of the slide.

(Now watch Daniel Watters come along with five books I've never heard of talking about exactly the above and tell me I just haven't been looking hard enough)

I am currently in an argument with Tim Yahn over whether the heavy ball 5.8mm load is called "DBP-88" or "DVP-88", which is an odd argument to have, because I am given to understand these rounds are not designated in the Roman alphabet.

In fact, I don't know if there's a distinction between "v" and "b" in Mandarin at all. So... Paging Mech?

It's most certainly DVP88 and not DBP88 (also, they don't use dashes in their designations ever, but that's just being pedantic.) even I sometimes fuck it up and write it as DBP88, but that's because I'm asleep at the wheel and so used to calling all their cartridges the latter.

300a38f544b8cae0df4b39a85d9429e1.png

(Note: the crate on the bottom is 12 gauge shotgun shells, they use the size of the bore in mm as opposed to the "gauge".)

DBP is short hand for Dan Buqiang Putong, which literally translates to "Standard Rifle Cartridge" which is then followed by the year it was put into service. (87, 95, (20)10, etc), in the PLA method of designation, this is always going to be the designation for whatever happens to be the most widespread use cartridge, mainly for footmen who are equipped with rifles.

DVP is obviously not a standard rifle cartridge, considering it was very specifically made for 1. SAWs and belt fed machine guns and 2. DMRs, both of which are obviously support weapons and not standard infantry weapons. And as you probably know, it's intentionally 6mm longer overall so it won't even feed into front line rifles like the QBZ95 and QBZ03.

The V in DVP does in fact stand for heavy and isn't a romanization issue (though these do sometimes happen, so it's a good theory.) I...just forgot how to spell heavy in Pinyin.

It's most certainly DVP88 and not DBP88 (also, they don't use dashes in their designations ever, but that's just being pedantic.) even I sometimes fuck it up and write it as DBP88, but that's because I'm asleep at the wheel and so used to calling all their cartridges the latter.

300a38f544b8cae0df4b39a85d9429e1.png

(Note: the crate on the bottom are 12 gauge shotgun shells, they use the size of the bore in mm as opposed to the "gauge".)

DBP is short hand for Dan Buqiang Putong, which literally translates to "Standard Rifle Cartridge" which is then followed by the year it was put into service. (87, 95, (20)10, etc), in the PLA method of designation, this is always going to be the designation for whatever happens to be the most widespread use cartridge, mainly for footmen who are equipped with rifles.

DVP is obviously not a standard rifle cartridge, considering it was very specifically made for 1. SAWs and belt fed machine guns and 2. DMRs, both of which are obviously support weapons and not standard infantry weapons.

Thanks!

Is it just me, or does the G17M look like it shares certain internal parts in common with the G43?  It appears that the trigger housing, firing pin safety plunger, and perhaps even the locking block are borrowed from or inspired by the G43.  One side benefit for the locking block geometry change would be that you could use barrels from the longer pistols in their shorter counterparts.

Is it just me, or does the G17M look like it shares certain internal parts in common with the G43? It appears that the trigger housing, firing pin safety plunger, and perhaps even the locking block are borrowed from or inspired by the G43. One side benefit for the locking block geometry change would be that you could use barrels from the longer pistols in their shorter counterparts.

I don't think I've seen pictures of it yet...