Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

But as we all know, even a round with that much powder to burn and that high of a chamber pressure is merely 100% insufficient because the caliber is at least .5mm short to be able to actually kill an enemy soldier!

I've never fired a Chiappa Rhino nor even held one for that matter. Disregard any of my opinions from here on out.

It's the "Six O'Clock" bore that concerns me the most with these handguns and it's their greatest flaw. That this flaw is the main selling point of the Chiappa Rhino with its supposed low bore axis is not lost on me. The fact that the shooter has to be very conscious of where he places his thumb in regards to the cylinder gap so he doesn't get burned or injured by the cylinder blast one the gun is fired is compounded by how low the bore is on this weapon. Even on traditional revolvers with the bore at the "12 O'Clock" position, there are instances of shooters who are either novices, careless or who are used to holding semi-automatic weapons that place their thumb too far up on the weapon and they injure themselves when the gun is fired.

Again, I've never fired a Chiappa Rhino. But every person I've seen who has and who has done a YouTube video or written about it admit to having been bitten by the cylinder blast.

This isn't a selling point.

Now if you're firing .38 (Not so) Special, 9mm Europellet, .40 Short and Weak or even .357 Magnum, the blast isn't that much of a concern. But as this line expands, I can see problems if Chiappa tries selling .44 Magnum, .454 Casull or larger caliber Rhinos. And I suspect this is the reason why they don't.

So they introduced it once in the 1920s or whatever.  Then they re-reintroduced it a few years ago and it didn't work.  Now they've re-re-reintroduced it, and it works better, but still doesn't work very well.  Maybe they can lure Ruger into cloning the design?  Then Ruger can re-re-re-reintroduce it, and then recall it.  And then once Ruger re-re-re-re-reintroduces it, it will probably be OK.

And also roughly the same size and width as a Glock 19.

I can't help but feel accomlished after reading the comments on that video that reference my review. That was a hard, expensive, and long test, but very worth it.

Yeah, you put forth the effort to do a real review.  What we've come to expect from you and Nathaniel at least, with a couple of others doing pretty well.

The idea that bore axis being some insurmountable problem on a revolver is odd to me considering the shooter only has five or six shots anyway. I can see where if you have an 18 shot Wunder Nine, getting the bore axis lower is a handy idea, especially if your training involves dumping that mag in three seconds.

For a revolver, if you're that worried about muzzle flip, their handles are infinitely customizable with different size, shapes and weights. Or you can port the barrel.

I'm just not sure what problem the Cheapo Rhino is trying to solve.