Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

This video has always left me with a few questions. Like, why is the projo pitching nose-down so badly and why is the penetration so shit when 76mm can go straight through both a 50mm plate and a car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07GuOeVQjE&index=4&list=PL2bcsYp3duwPujBWiFAsV5Gqq1bQuevNB

Because that is the one the Hamiltons restored, and it saw a very hard (if at best indifferent)  postwar life, meaning the bore is less than perfectly pristine (or concentric), and the shot is likely a turned down 3" projo, with the obturator band reduced a skosh more than really needed, to reduce the chance of a very bad "whoops" if pressure spikes.

The shot Mr Dolan used for the L&L shot was (IIRC) a proper unfired 76mm AP projo, atop a proper (full house) load.

Looks like France is getting out of the bullpup game. They downselected to the FN SCAR and HK416.

This will be France's first unimportable service rifle that they scrap. It will be interesting to see if they do the modern politically-correct thing and smelt them into small models of the Eiffel Tower to sell or chop them up into kits and let the importers have a go at them.

H&K can sell the HK 416 en masse for $1,425 as of 2007, but single units can be sold to law enforcement today for $1,650.

I cannot find pricing information on the SCAR, but I would be shocked if it were cheaper than that.

Really?  The SCAR, to my eye, looks like it's very better-designed for low cost mass production than the 416.  The entire upper is an extrusion with minimal machining, whereas on the HK 416 only the handguard is and the receiver appears to be machined.  The entire lower is injection molded, and so would cost single digits of dollars, versus the machined lower on the HK.

I don't think the civilian pricing is reflective of bulk LE/MIL contract pricing at all.

Really?  The SCAR, to my eye, looks like it's very better-designed for low cost mass production than the 416.  The entire upper is an extrusion with minimal machining, whereas on the HK 416 only the handguard is and the receiver appears to be machined.  The entire lower is injection molded, and so would cost single digits of dollars, versus the machined lower on the HK.

I don't think the civilian pricing is reflective of bulk LE/MIL contract pricing at all.

No, certainly not considering that the MSRP of both rifles is about $3,000.

I would be quite interested to find out SCAR government pricing though.

No, certainly not considering that the MSRP of both rifles is about $3,000.

I would be quite interested to find out SCAR government pricing though.

Same here.  I would also like to know what the contract pricing for full auto CZ 805s is, since those are cheaper on the civilian market but look far less optimized for mass production.

What about it do you think makes it less optimized?

ywHMnkl.png

The receiver is machined from a piece of billet.  Look at it carefully; it's quite different than a SCAR's upper receiver.  It changes in cross section several times, and has areas that have clearly been milled out to save weight.  That's an enormous increase in machine time to make each rifle vs. a SCAR, or other extruded upper SCAR-clone.  Per SAR, the upper receiver was originally supposed to be injection molded, but they never quite got this to work (somewhat unsurprisingly; an injection molded piece that big is technically challenging).