Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

2 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Has there been any research into the number of rounds fired in self defense situations? Because I'm guessing that the average is low.

1 minute ago, Sturgeon said:

The usual figure is "3-3-3". Average of 3 shots at 3 feet in 3 seconds.

I've seen and heard 1 to 2 shots when shots are actually fired. Now I guess I have to find that info...

And as always the majority of self defense situations deescalate quickly after a handgun is presented.

6 minutes ago, Donward said:

I've seen and heard 1 to 2 shots when shots are actually fired. Now I guess I have to find that info...

And as always the majority of self defense situations deescalate quickly after a handgun is presented.

I take that back. Most self defense situations deescalate quickly after Meplat produces an antique firearm firing a functionally obsolete cartridge and uses it to shift some hobo off his property.

2 minutes ago, Khand-e said:

The 20 Pounder on his truck is still a perfectly viable weapon in the right situations you nay sayer.

*Cue 2,500 word TFB by Nathaniel The F stands for Fuck YOU about "Why the 20 Pounder sucks" followed by a TFB video from the ghost of Alex CEEE putting it through a run and gun*

1 hour ago, Khand-e said:

Obligatory:

If I were a tyrannical despot I'd mandate that all martial arts instructors and self defence trainers get tested every once in a while by having a bunch of armed dudes jump them from an alley or something.

Not because it would prove or improve anything, but because it would be entertaining.

You really think your hired goons would stand a chance against "VERTICAL TRACKING, SHOOT HIM TO THE GROUND!" guy Matthew Timlik?

This is a guy so deadly even C level USPSA shooters have called him out on being exceptionally slow reacting and poor judging!

18 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Pistol bayonets need to be a thing, it seems.

Well there was a reason why up until very recently, things like daggers, stilettos, Bowie knives, dirks, and switchblades were the preferred weapon of criminals, thugs, gangs and general low life scum who frequent the back alleys of society. 

Three inches of steel in the individual you wished to kill was a lot more effective than the corresponding derringers, Bulldog revolvers, .32 and .38 snubbies, gats and Saturday Night Specials.

8 minutes ago, Khand-e said:

You really think your hired goons would stand a chance against "VERTICAL TRACKING, SHOOT HIM TO THE GROUND!" guy Matthew Timlik?

This is a guy so deadly even C level USPSA shooters have called him out on being exceptionally slow reacting and poor judging!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If diabetes, heart disease, hardened arteries, obstructive pulmonary disease, arthritis and an untreatable case of bunions have failed to kill ShootEm To the Ground Guy thus far, do you really think some paltry handgun round will?

*Gasp, wheeze, slouch*

Bang! Bang! Bang!

*Gasp, wheeze, slouch*

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

1 hour ago, Donward said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If diabetes, heart disease, hardened arteries, obstructive pulmonary disease, arthritis and an untreatable case of bunions have failed to kill ShootEm To the Ground Guy thus far, do you really think some paltry handgun round will?

*Gasp, wheeze, slouch*

Bang! Bang! Bang!

*Gasp, wheeze, slouch*

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

1 hour ago, Donward said:

Well there was a reason why up until very recently, things like daggers, stilettos, Bowie knives, dirks, and switchblades were the preferred weapon of criminals, thugs, gangs and general low life scum who frequent the back alleys of society. 

Three inches of steel in the individual you wished to kill was a lot more effective than the corresponding derringers, Bulldog revolvers, .32 and .38 snubbies, gats and Saturday Night Specials.

{Furiously calculates the stopping power of diabetes vs. .32 ACP}

6 hours ago, Khand-e said:

I don't know, Diabetes literally has enough stopping power to knock you right off your feet!

"What caliber for tissue necrosis?"

*Nate F stands for Funnel cake writes 15,000 words on why the 6.8 SPC will never be the army's choice against diabetes. And it gets 200 comments saying he's wrong*

14 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

"What caliber for tissue necrosis?"

*Nate F stands for Funnel cake writes 15,000 words on why the 6.8 SPC will never be the army's choice against diabetes. And it gets 200 comments saying he's wrong*

Cue following Gary Roberts article where he overlays rigged ballistic gel tests with the 6.8mm SPC over actual pictures of Diabetics suffering from tissue necrosis in their feet to show that 6.8mm SPC has the best healdown power against dying tissue.

5 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Real talk: I obviously don't hate bullpups by any means, but I do understand they have a particularly annoying rabid fanbase that thinks they're the end all, be all of current firearm design, mainly from reformists or people who haven't really handled many, if any actual firearms before and they really do need to be educated they have their drawbacks just like any other firearm design.

Saw these today. 5j8pdkL.jpg

Some old bolt guns at our local Cabela's M1903A1, M1903A3, some  K98's.

H76ryx1.jpg 

M1903A1. Not as heavy as I thought it to be. 

FxjXqFV.jpg 

Converted K98 

KaGxUkJ.jpg 

VZ2008 obviously.

7IFQPoS.jpg

Colt M16, specific variant of which I forgot.

BDMRrCR.jpg

Some ugly brown thing.

yjO0sAL.jpg

This M70 I believe? Also can someone tell me what this sight is and for?

2f6lr7W.jpg

Sweet Benelli action.

XjpGhNy.jpg

M1897

MMdX7aT.jpg

Nambu, which specific model of which I again don't know.

94uby5y.jpg

USP 45

5mCSMrY.jpg

And finally, a funky looking M&P 9.