Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

12 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

That whole thing in Vietnam was a giant clusterfuck. People's heads should have rolled.

The value of these training films is always hit or miss but I was surprised - unless I missed it - that there was nothing about keeping the M-16's dust cover closed while on the march in order to keep out mud and debris.

8 hours ago, Conner Webb said:

Thanks for the Info, I honestly didn't know if the AK series had rifle grenades, however seeing the SKS, I shouldn't have doubted it or thought otherwise :P 

You'd be surprised how many Militaries still use rifle grenades.

21 hours ago, Conner Webb said:

Thanks for the Info, I honestly didn't know if the AK series had rifle grenades, however seeing the SKS, I shouldn't have doubted it or thought otherwise :P 

Conner,

The Yugo guns are a weird mix of a bunch of elements as Tito preferred it from what I understand!

Using the rifle grenade launchers as an example, they're actually the NATO standard (22mm diameter right guys) rifle grenade interface. 

That is why my handful of Israeli pattern practice grenades and my nearly ww2 vintage strap a pineapple grenade to a tail fin kit work.

Additionally there's some divergent dimensions here and there in Yugo AK's that I've "heard" show at least some Chinese type 56 lineage rather than straight Warsaw pact pattern. 

I have a splitting headache so please forgive me for any egregious mistakes in this post.

On the note of Yugo AK's and Zastava in particular, have you seen the switch barrel switch caliber bulged trunnion guns Zastava built for their Grendel experiments?

Very very simple barrel change, and to my eye it looks like the key parts of the system prone to wearing out from repeated installation/removal are simple cheap robust and easily replaceable!

In my world this is extremely exciting, and a little vexing because of just how ****ing easy making a switch bbl Ak turned out to be!!!

Real WTF? Why didn't I think of this moment!